Tarp
    Chinook tarp
    Insulation
    dyi UQ
    Suspension
    nylon webbing 4now

Question on underquilts

Hey Guys !

Newb indy here Eh! And I have a question for all you professionals.

I took my dyi hammock to are camp near Fundy and slept in it a while back for a couple of days to see how it really works ...Besides having raccoons visit it was the most comfortable sleep I've had outdoors ....My back was a bit cold so I used a wool blanket and a sleeping bag .....so here's my question ....has anyone used a sleeping bag as a UQ in other words cut it down to size ...I do have a old sleeping bag that I am willing to put on the chopping block but would like to know some details on long to go before cutting it .....I would love to make my own from scratch but the materials are near impossible to find and shipping is really too expensive for me right now ...I love to improvise anyway ...I would love to have a whole dyi set up and be able to go out for a few and not have to worry about freezin to death or being soaked .....I have looked in the dyi section as well ...maybe didn't look hard enough but if anyone can point me in the right area ..this would be much appreciated

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Keep looking in the DIY. I'am not sure where I saw it, but there are a few in there. I am trying to decide on making a peapod design out of a mummy bag.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings Indy

The short answer to your question is yes. An old sleeping bag can be cut down to make an underquilt. Lots of people have done it. I would say do a search for details, however, the built in search feature doesn't work well for me. I find using the advanced search function of google and specifying hammockforums.net in the site box tends to produce the search results I am looking for.

Do realize that if you are using an old synthetic sleeping bag or a lower quality down sleeping bag, there will be a weight and compressibility penalty. That is generally only a problem when backpacking to your hanging sites.

As for sizes, to make, it depends on whether or not you want a partial length or full length underquilt. In the bottom insulation section, there is a thread that contains a quilt comparison chart to all of the commercially produced underquilts that details all their specs, so that should be good place to start.

If you also haven't considered it, look at the MollyMac Gear Insultex underquilts. They are synthetic, light weight, and compress quite well and they are quite affordable in comparison to down made quilts.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    also there are a couple of conversion to 'peapod' projects, which involve much less sacrifice of current bag- just a hole in the foot end for the hammock suspension to pass through, an a way to keep the hood/head end up against the hammock...

here it is..

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22456

hope that helps, KM

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Travel, Parachute
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    I on the hunt for the poor man's UQ and there are several successful sleeping bag conversions here. Here is yet another successful sleeping bag / UQ conversion.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22785

Please post pics and stories to help the rest of us. Thanks

Hammock
    DD travel hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook tarp
    Insulation
    dyi UQ
    Suspension
    nylon webbing 4now
    Super guys !!! Thanks for the quick responce !

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Greetings Indy

The short answer to your question is yes. An old sleeping bag can be cut down to make an underquilt. Lots of people have done it. I would say do a search for details, however, the built in search feature doesn't work well for me. I find using the advanced search function of google and specifying hammockforums.net in the site box tends to produce the search results I am looking for.

Do realize that if you are using an old synthetic sleeping bag or a lower quality down sleeping bag, there will be a weight and compressibility penalty. That is generally only a problem when backpacking to your hanging sites.

As for sizes, to make, it depends on whether or not you want a partial length or full length underquilt. In the bottom insulation section, there is a thread that contains a quilt comparison chart to all of the commercially produced underquilts that details all their specs, so that should be good place to start.

If you also haven't considered it, look at the MollyMac Gear Insultex underquilts. They are synthetic, light weight, and compress quite well and they are quite affordable in comparison to down made quilts.

Cheers

Brian
    I couldn't believe how compressable and light the IX is, I am looking forward to testing it's warmth in cold weather!

• + New Posts