Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    As previously mentioned, hang everything with an odor (excluding your hiking partner ) plus I carry a can a bear spray which should be a good deterrent for most any predator. I've never needed to use it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I am out in the Pineys I just try and stay aware of my surroundings. When I pitch camp the usual precautions are taken .... store food away. Toothpaste too.
    Never camp on an animal trail or path.
    I am noisy!
    Other than that I try not to worry about it. It is their hood ...... so I try to have that Dr. DooLittle vibe. I say "Hey" to rabbits and squirrels and hope the word get passed along that I am there in the woods to enjoy. So far .... I have had good luck.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    How does that deter wildlife...aka bears from finding your camp? I mean let's be candid here, Yogi can smell a fart from 3 miles away...mmmmm, Mountain House beef lasagna, one of my all time favorites and oh, hey, is that apple fritter with a hint of hot chocolate? “JACK-POT!!!!”
    Doesn't but the OP mentioned human predators ... always more of a concern than critters where I usually camp. So stealth solves all the issues and makes for a peaceful campsite. Yogi ain't going to hang around for my poots or the guys I usually hike with! Heck we nearly can't ourselves sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Always solo with my Buddy, SIG SAUER... only fed after pooping out Lead. And thats not too often.
    -islander
    Sig is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    They'll just annoy you to death. It's like hanging out with lawyers, without all the legal ramifications.
    Now that's funny ... going to pass that along to my daughter in her first year of law school!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    When I am out in the Pineys I just try and stay aware of my surroundings. ....
    Shug
    Best advice given yet! Big thumbs up!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I live in southern Ontario, and always have black bears in mind when out in the back country. No big cats, which is a good thing.

In the decades I've been canoeing/camping I've had the fortune of never seeing a bear, although I'm sure they've been to visit. We Canadians are a gentler lot and don't usually go in for the carrying of pistols into the wilds. I'd be way more scared of people carrying guns than any animals I might encounter. Now in the far north, in Polar Bear territory, that's be a different situation, and that would call for rifles or shotguns.. But I digress...

Basically a recap of what's been said..
    • Keep your campsite meticulously clean of foodstuffs
    • Wash all of you camp dishes and pour the waste water well away from camp
    • Hang your food at least 100 yards from camp
    • Hang all cosmetics, toothpaste, trout scented body washes and garbage with the food
    • If you’ve been fishing and or cooking and are in the habit of wiping your fishy/foody hands on your clothes, then stow them in a plastic bag outside of your shelter or better yet, haul them up with the food
    • Clean fish well away from the campsite and throw the bones back in the lake
    • When going fishing I carry a set of heavy gauge rubber gloves to a) protect my delicate fingers and b) to keep that lingering fish smell off my hands. I also use them when doing dishes.
    • If you’re canoeing, try to camp on islands. This minimizes random encounters with animals that might just wander into camp. They have to have a reason to swim out to an island
    • If you’re worried, try carrying some non-lethal bear spray
    As for booby traps… ah well, the most I might do is drag a small dead tree with lots of branches to each end of my tarp. It gives me the illusion that I might hear any beast snapping branches as he tries to get to me. At least give me a second or two warning. Just long enough to wish I had a pistol with me!!

There's a part of the movie "The 13th Warrior" when the Vikings are laying down to sleep even though they expect to be attacked that night. The hero, an Arabic Antonio Banderas asks how they can be so calm. One of them responds.. "If you're destined to die tonight, then you'll die. Staying awake all night worrying won't change a thing. Relax and sleep"

A little corney, but words to live by, or die by. You know what I mean.

Chard

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    so I try to have that Dr. DooLittle vibe. I say "Hey" to rabbits and squirrels and hope the word get passed along that I am there in the woods to enjoy.
    Shug

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Respect the fuzzies!
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I try not to worry about it. It is their hood ......
    Right there with ya buddy!

I go out there to experience the wildlife, I don't want to avoid it. Bikes and folks walking are moving targets. Anybody that has ever had a cat knows what cats do with moving targets. I don't worry about such things when I sleep. I don't want my food stolen so I put it out of reach, but I certainly don't do it because I'm worried about being attacked.

The only thing we have to fear....
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Now that's funny ... going to pass that along to my daughter in her first year of law school!
    When is it?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    When is it?
    Now, first year first semester ... and two more years after this ... that's why I hang around on street corners with a tin cup these days!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dand76 View Post
    ...I carry a can a bear spray which should be a good deterrent for most any predator. I've never needed to use it.
    Study wild animal attacks and you will find that most happen in areas where humans have encroached into their habitat in a big way. The worst place in the world for bear and other critter problems is a campground because the flatlanders teach them bad habits by being sloppy and thinking that nature is just like that Disney movie they watched. Camp far away from where folk gather and pay close attention to ground sign (or tree sign for bears) and you can figure out what lives there. Learn your forrest craft...that's why you are there init? BTW sometimes the area you are trekking through will smell just like a big cat box...don't stop there and watch the back of your neck.

If you feel the need, get some pepper spray (easy to use and requires almost no training). You will have more problems from flatlanders than critters if you pay attention (it ain't that expensive).
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 10-01-2010 at 11:27.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ

Make noise

Make noise so the bear knows you are coming. If I am hiking and I notice a lot of bear sign, scatt, tracks, etc. I will start to click my hiking poles together from time to time and call out "Hey Bear" every now and then. Especially when comming up on a blind curve or over grown area. This gives mama bear a chance to gather up the cubs and scoot.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast