Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

hunting from beside the hammock

Last Dec 31, tried to walk up a deer in the Birkhead Mountains Wilderness Area. I saw several deer, but none offered a shot. As the sun set, I hung my hammock at the foot of Cedar Rock Mtn. While I was setting up, a doe with one fawn came down the mountain, nearly following the route I had taken an hour earlier. They did not approach very close, so I had a fairly long shot from behind the large tree that held one end of my hammock. She ran, and I followed slowly, although I found no evidence that she was hurt. I slept well in spite of temps that reached 21*F, and distant fireworks at midnight. I tried to track the doe again on New Year's Day, to no avail. Where I saw a dozen the day before, it was as if deer were extinct on Jan 1. I decided that my long shot had missed.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Last Dec 31, tried to walk up a deer in the Birkhead Mountains Wilderness Area. I saw several deer, but none offered a shot. As the sun set, I hung my hammock at the foot of Cedar Rock Mtn. While I was setting up, a doe with one fawn came down the mountain, nearly following the route I had taken an hour earlier. They did not approach very close, so I had a fairly long shot from behind the large tree that held one end of my hammock. She ran, and I followed slowly, although I found no evidence that she was hurt. I slept well in spite of temps that reached 21*F, and distant fireworks at midnight. I tried to track the doe again on New Year's Day, to no avail. Where I saw a dozen the day before, it was as if deer were extinct on Jan 1. I decided that my long shot had missed.

- MacEntyre
    The hunter's paradox: first you pray for a perfect shot, then you pray for a clean miss. Sucks the joy out of the hunt, doesn't it?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The other day, Thing1 said she wanted to stalk a deer, but she did not want to kill one. I told her, "Then come with me!"

I enjoy it, even if I am not very dangerous.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Claytor tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    I hunt from one of these:

http://fanaticoutdoors.com/default.aspx
    Man, I need one of those! I wonder how the bottom is rigged up?

I'd be dead asleep in 5 minutes in my hammock. it'd work though other than that. I've been sleeping in my hammock at hunting camp rather than in the trailer with all the guys. I've got 3 weekends this month and 3 next month, can't wait!

Hammock
    SB Pro
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Molly Mac Insultex
    Suspension
    rings & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    I hunt from one of these:

http://fanaticoutdoors.com/default.aspx
    I've looked at it. Ever use it spring gobbler hunting? How's it do? Inquiring minds want to know....please good sir.
    montani semper liberi

I wish I had a cabin on the top of some big hill
    I'd build a fire every evening and listen to the whipporwill
    Eat my food out of a garden and drink my whiskey from a still

Darrell Scott I Wish

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Interesting idea! Though I doubt that I would see many deer. Hammocks are just to darn comfortable. I'm afraid that I would get more nap time then quality hunting time.
    My first long hike using a hammock I took a 30 minute nap in the hammock. I woke up 4 hours later. I no longer "Nap" in my hammock, I'm thinking that hunting from a hammock would not be very productive for the same reason.

"SO, Bob, how many deer did you shoot from your hammock?"
    "Not a one, slept through the season, I was just too comfortable! Next year I'll leave the hammock at home & go back to the tree stand!!!!"
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Quote Originally Posted by spklbuk View Post
    I've looked at it. Ever use it spring gobbler hunting? How's it do? Inquiring minds want to know....please good sir.
    Yes I have used it turkey hunting as well as deer hunting and just sitting around camp. Works well. packs really small to carry in turkey vest of backpack. I don't usually sit long when turkey hunting so I probably carry it more than use it then but I love it when I sit near a food plot all day. I highly recommend it.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's an interesting hammock seat...thanks for posting.

I think sleeping in the hammock during a hunting trip sounds like a great idea...but shooting from one isn't likely to give you a safe shot, let alone a stable enough platform for a clean shot.

Mod's note - let's keep this focused on hammocks rather than on general hunting comments, pls.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    When this post was started, I didn't realize some would even think of lying in and shooting from a hammock. My idea of the advantage of hunting "with" a hammock is the ability to carry a very small package with you, and have the ability to stay out pretty much wherever darkness overtakes you. I have stayed out before when hunting, but never with the comfort, convenience, comfort, simplicity, and comfort of a hammock. Did I mention comfort?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12