Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Anyone have a photo of the full length (winter) Incubator in a stuff sack? (I'm wondering about the size it might be when bagged.)

(I asked this question earlier on this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/n...ote=1&p=335172
    but as yet, there's been no reply so I thought I'd ask here.)
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    Anyone have a photo of the full length (winter) Incubator in a stuff sack? (I'm wondering about the size it might be when bagged.)

(I asked this question earlier on this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/n...ote=1&p=335172
    but as yet, there's been no reply so I thought I'd ask here.)
    I'm also interested in the size when packed.

Anyone????? Please.

Miguel

Images
    OK..I just went and stuffed it...In the stuff sack from Stormcrow...

Length 14 1/2 inches
    Diameter 7 inches

Total weight in stuff sack with the 2 plastic Nite-ize s biners:
    28.95 oz

Without the s-biners:
    28.7 oz

Do you want pictures too ?
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundHog View Post
    OK..I just went and stuffed it...In the stuff sack from Stormcrow...

Length 14 1/2 inches
    Diameter 7 inches

Total weight in stuff sack with the 2 plastic Nite-ize s biners:
    28.95 oz

Without the s-biners:
    28.7 oz

Do you want pictures too ?

Would love to see 'em!
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Images

Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundHog View Post

That's very kind of you to have done that...thank GH! It's helpful to me as well.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Winter Crowsnest and the 3 Season incubator are basically the same weight and will pack to basically the same size in their stuff sacks. Not an exact comparison, I am mainly using these two as my examples because of the weight, stuff size and temperature, even though one is a 3 season and the other a winter quilt.

I have had the opportunity to use both in sub 40* temps. The Winter Crowsnest is a great quilt for people who do not get cold feet, and for whom a pad is an option in the footbox. The pad will keep your heels from getting cold, but the sides of my feet push up against the sides of the footbox in the WBBB, or the sides of any other hammock I choose to use. I have a heck of a time keeping a pad in place anywhere in a hammock, but especially near my feet. The quilt itself keeps your core extremely warm is cold conditions, but I have cold feet due to an ice accident when I was a kid and sweaty feet. For anyone who is used to sleeping with a pad as insulation near their feet, the crowsnest is a great option. But it is not for me.

The 3 season incubator keeps my feet covered, no matter what hammock I use, no matter how much I kick or move during the night. The added length and insulation down past the knees to the foot keep my lower extremities warmer, and is a little longer on the head end as well, no cold spots inside the hammock to wake me up in the middle of the night when I shift or move around, and no partial pad inside my hammock to deal with. I sleep as warm in a 3 season incubator as I do with a winter crowsnest, I believe due to the fact that my entire hammock is basically insulated without the gap that a 3/4 length quilt provides; and even if I sleep in a fetal position, my feet stay covered. The quilt barely shifts as it is, but if you add a length of shockcord over the ridgeline near the foot end, it doesn't shift at all. I also like to carry extra base layers, so if it gets to the point where the 3 season incubator is near it's temperature rating (which is very conservative,) I add a base layer to my sleeping clothes. I no longer get cold in a hammock, and have not experienced a cold spot since I have started using an incubator. It is darn near the perfect quilt for me, even into the 20's or up into the 80's. I just use a very light top cover in the summer, or none at all. I use a winter burrow, overstuffed 2 oz. when the temp drops below freezing. Venting when it gets warmer really makes a difference in the flexibility of the incubator, especially the 3 season version. The winter version is nice and really keeps you protected and warm, but once summer rolls around it is overkill. I own both, and love the winter version but I love the 3 season a little more, just because I can use it more often without any augmentation, venting or changes to it in any way. Change my top quilt, and I have any situation down to the teens covered.

Everybody sleeps differently, and there is a perfect down underquilt for everyone, whether it is a HammockGear quilt, a Warbonnet or a JRB, a 2/3, a 3/4 or a full length. Lots of opinions here toward all of these. For me, it is a 3 season, full length incubator.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123