Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu

Crows Nest Vs Incubator

I think I have narrowed the UQ search down to either a three season Crows Nest or a three season Incubator.

I like the idea of the full coverage an Incubator. My concern is that I would be too hot in the warm months. But the idea of being fully enveloped in down just sounds heavenly.

The Crows Nest seems like it would be less likely to overheat me. My concerns with it are cold feet and head. I know, a foot pad for my feet and a pillow for my head. Most people seem to like the Crows Nest because it is lighter and smaller. But once you add a foot pad and a pillow is it really lighter and less bulky? On the other hand, if I was going to carry a pad anyway just in case I have to go to ground because of lack of trees, then the smaller Crows Nest seems like a smarter choice. Now I am just thinking out loud.

Would an Incubator even cover my feet in a WBBB? Or would the foot box keep my feet outside the UQ anyway?

I know myself. I camp mostly in warm weather and almost never in cold weather. But I have always been a "be prepared for the worst case" sort of person. So the Crows Nest would probably be fine.

I know I am rambling on and just thinking out loud. Sorry. But it is like going to a therapist. I just need to get all this out there and maybe I will find my answer.

But any thoughts you all have wouldn't hurt.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    Flip a coin, lol. I went with the crows nest for my WBBB, easier to add more clothes in my opinion. Hopefully I'm correct in my thinking.
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FWIW, the Incubator will cover the footbox in a WBBB. By itself, the footbox offers no insulation at all since it's the same material as the hammock itself.

I use a stuff sack with some extras (dry socks, additional top, etc.) as my pillow.

If you are camping in warm weather only, you may not need more than a smallish piece of CCF or an REI sit pad or a bit of Reflectix under your legs and feet with a Crow's Nest.

In many ways, it's probably up to you as to whether you choose full length vs partial UQ. Most hammockers I know use partial UQ for the smaller packed bulk. I don't know that you save weight with a partial UQ over an equivalent weight full length when you add everything together. It depends on precisely what you elect to use/carry.

I use my Yeti or Crow's Nest until it gets cold (20 degrees or lower) at which point I start to think full-length. I have a JRB MW4 UQ for Minnesota cold.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    usj, a timely post for me as I am thinking about the same two UQs and have the same question. Adam/stormcrow is very nice and emailing him your thread may be a help. I have an AHE Lost River short UQ, and it's great for in between temps (sub65, above 40--i slept very comfortably with AHE LR to 48 degree two weeks ago, but I had a Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag with Prolite Thermarest in it, too). But I am looking at likely the longer down UQ Incubator. I have nowhere near the experience as Beep and others, however. For what it's worth, the Incubator is not that much more expensive than the CrowsNet, pricewise.

Hobiecat has reviewed here and like Incubator, and tells why:
    http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...&reviews_id=23

I look forward to further replies on your thread, US Jones. Esp your query as to whether the longer UQ can be vented in warmer weather adequately (e.g loosen top and bottom cinches and allow air flow)? Also, does the longer UQ stay in place better on the hammock?
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 10-02-2010 at 09:20.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ulyssesjones View Post
    I think I have narrowed the UQ search down to either a three season Crows Nest or a three season Incubator.

I like the idea of the full coverage an Incubator. My concern is that I would be too hot in the warm months. But the idea of being fully enveloped in down just sounds heavenly.

The Crows Nest seems like it would be less likely to overheat me. My concerns with it are cold feet and head. I know, a foot pad for my feet and a pillow for my head. Most people seem to like the Crows Nest because it is lighter and smaller. But once you add a foot pad and a pillow is it really lighter and less bulky? On the other hand, if I was going to carry a pad anyway just in case I have to go to ground because of lack of trees, then the smaller Crows Nest seems like a smarter choice. Now I am just thinking out loud.

Would an Incubator even cover my feet in a WBBB? Or would the foot box keep my feet outside the UQ anyway?

I know myself. I camp mostly in warm weather and almost never in cold weather. But I have always been a "be prepared for the worst case" sort of person. So the Crows Nest would probably be fine.

I know I am rambling on and just thinking out loud. Sorry. But it is like going to a therapist. I just need to get all this out there and maybe I will find my answer.

But any thoughts you all have wouldn't hurt.

Thanks.
    If your a backpacker the Crowsnest will take up less pack space and will keep you good and warm.
    Are you thinking a 3 season model?
    Yes ... a small footpad ...I use a Thermarest sit pad ..... is lighter.
    Stuff some clothes in a stuffsack for a pillow .... no weight penalty as you already have them. I good beanie on the noggin to keep it warm.

Now if you car camp or campground ... i.e., not toting your load the an Incubator would be a dream machine.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Nano7, HB No-See-Um-No-More
    Tarp
    sil WB Edge
    Insulation
    3 Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/huggers
    I just received my Crowsnest on Monday and had a chance to use it for the first time last night. It got down into ~high 40's and I was very comfortable, even without any insulation under my lower legs/feet.

I plan on continuing to use it as the temps get lower, possibly in conjunction with some kind of liner. In my case, both packs that I use are rucksack style, needing a pad to act as a frame, so the short pad to go in my TQ footbox will do triple duty as an insulator, frame and sit pad during the day. Carrying a full length UQ would be redundant and add weight, since I need the pad in my pack regardless.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu
    Thanks for the feedback. I hope to have my mind made up by mid week.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I just ordered a Stormcrow Winter Incubator today. I have a 2/3 AHE Lost River 3 season, and figured if it gets any colder, I'll just use the Winter (not 3 season) Incubator from Adam. I think it can be vented off the hammock, and I'd rather be too warm than too cold always (personal preference). Plus I can always ditch clothes. And the price difference between the Crowsnest and Incubator is not that much for the extra down that is used (specs on the Stormcrow website). It may pack heavier for backpacking, but again, I can bring somewhat less clothes or not use a CCF pads. It'll be interesting to see just how low I can go temp-wise with just the winter Incubator and a fleece blankie over my Superman jammies, just like at home. Hmmm.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post

Hobiecat has reviewed here and like Incubator, and tells why:
    http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...&reviews_id=23
    Well look at that, I made it on the Hammockgear.com website.

Seriously though, I'm still loving the Incubator. For it's warmth, simplicity, and coverage, it's just about my favorite piece of gear right now. I added a single line of shock cord to the ends to it doesn't move at all. If I get warm, just open up the end channels - works like a champ. If you think you're going to move even a little bit during the night, go full-length. I'll never go back to partial UQ's... just my humble opinion of course.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i just thought of something concernign this. maybe it's not warranted, i don't know as i don't own an UQ. however, on a few super rainy nights where it was blowing sideways, i got the ends of my hammock wet. a full length UQ would've gotten water in each end and likely ran through the quilt. a 3/4 length probably would've been ok on these occasions...

valid?
    thoughts?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast