Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

frozen shoes

I just got back from a quick hiking trip in the poconos. I expected cold, but not the inch of snow. My shoes, which have way too many miles on them for the gortex to work so they got soaked. That really isn't a problem, but what was a problem was waking up to find them frozen solid. The laces were impossible to move though the holes. It took 5 minutes per shoe to squeeze each foot in.

I don't think there is any way of "defeeting" this problem, but I thought I would ask and see if anyone has a solution.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

A few things people use:

Turn a stuff sack inside out, place shoes in the stuff sack, then sleep with shoes in the foot of your sleeping bag. Shoes not frozen, bag stays clean.

or

Heat water just before bed, have a hot drink, fill water bottles with hot water. Place each water bottle inside a wool sock, then place one in each boot. Keeps heavy boots from freezing, plus holds them open so they are easier to get on. I know this works with heavy leather boots and Nalgene bottles - no guarantees with trail runners and Gatorade bottles. :-)

Or

Accept the inevitable. Loosen laces and open boots/shoes wide before going to bed. In AM, wait until ready to hike, then put boots on, and start hiking - your feet will warm up in about 10 or 15 minutes, at which time you will need to take a "boot break" to tighten the lacing which will be thawed by now.

I have a picture of me at the Raccoon Branch Shelter in VA, standing and trying to force my foot into a frozen solid boot. Spent the day hiking in fresh, knee deep snow, but the boots still warmed up within a few minutes of starting to hike. Your feet are amazing little furnaces while they are active.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lyleb View Post
    A few things people use:

Turn a stuff sack inside out, place shoes in the stuff sack, then sleep with shoes in the foot of your sleeping bag. Shoes not frozen, bag stays clean.

or

Heat water just before bed, have a hot drink, fill water bottles with hot water. Place each water bottle inside a wool sock, then place one in each boot. Keeps heavy boots from freezing, plus holds them open so they are easier to get on. I know this works with heavy leather boots and Nalgene bottles - no guarantees with trail runners and Gatorade bottles. :-)

Or

Accept the inevitable. Loosen laces and open boots/shoes wide before going to bed. In AM, wait until ready to hike, then put boots on, and start hiking - your feet will warm up in about 10 or 15 minutes, at which time you will need to take a "boot break" to tighten the lacing which will be thawed by now.

I have a picture of me at the Raccoon Branch Shelter in VA, standing and trying to force my foot into a frozen solid boot. Spent the day hiking in fresh, knee deep snow, but the boots still warmed up within a few minutes of starting to hike. Your feet are amazing little furnaces while they are active.
    I like the first idea except I would hang them on the ridgeline in the hammock.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - good stuff, lyleb.

I usually do option 1. When I have the TravelPod, that usually stays warm enough that I don't even need any insulation around the boots, so I'll just hang them from the ridgeline at the foot of the hammock. If I don't have the travelpod, I'll put them under my knees or something. In a bag, of course. But if they're really dirty, I just do option 3.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    When hiking with my gearskin(I throw it under my feet in my hammock) I'll usually wrap my trail runners in my pack cover substituting that for the bag in option #1
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That's all good ideas. Thanks for the replies.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts