Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Claytor tarp

Boundary Waters hang

Here are some pics from my Boundary Waters trip. We were there 9/9-9/17. Stayed in 3rd bay of Lake Saganaga if anybody knows where that is. We had 8 people, 6 of which stayed in tents, two of us in Claytor Jungles. The other hammocker got cold on the 3rd night and went to the tents after that for some reason. 3rd night was the coldest but I used a silver cooler material underpad (similar to the car windshield material) that I made and a blue ground pad, 30 degree bag and I was nice and warm. Slept in long johns and socks every night (I hate sleeping in clothes) although I did pack extra clothes around my head and feet.

Coldest it got was 35 degrees, warmest was 60 during the day. Average at night was 40-45 with moderate wind. We had nights of driving rain, high wind and other than having to add more rocks to my tie out lines on my tarp I was good to go. Even though I made the mistake of putting my hammock up so the prevailing wind could get under my tarp...

I used a DIY gear hammock to keep my things off the ground and it also helped block the wind under my hammock. My impression after 7 nights straight was I LOVED IT!!! We don't rough it in the conventional sense that alot of you hikers do. We take cots and mats to sleep on and stay in the same site all week. However I have never slept better than I did in my hammock. We normally paddle at least 10 miles a day and portage 2-4 times a day and by the end of the day my back was killing me. After 7 hours of hammock love I was ready to go again. Only drawback was I missed fishing at first light every day. I was always the last one up and missed breakfast and coffee twice! After much thought my favorite part of hammocking is not having to get out of bed to pee!! Sorry if that's gross to some but it's true and awesome especially when it's 35 degrees out and raining hard

Here I am ready for bed. The net came in handy since for the first time in 5 years we had bugs during September.

The view on the last morning in camp.

My setup.

Last sunset

And dinner!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Nice trip! Next time, try to hang closer to the water.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Nice pics, nice camo, nice fish! Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Nice report and thanks for the pictures. I had to take a closer look at your set up, I thought that you were on the ground and in the moss. You must have been in a small depression.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Wow ... nice fish! Don't even have to ask if you had a good time! Thanks for posting

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 once
    Tarp
    maccat micro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    nice camo set up looks like a asom trip :]

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Nice report, thanks for that. Went to BWCA for first time this year and was glad I was hanging and not tenting , sooo many rocks and roots.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Claytor tarp
    It looks like a ditch but it's actually a pretty good grade hill that's covered with a juniper like evergreen. I was as high off the ground as my little short legs could reach. At first I tied my tarp tie lines to the bushes but the wind was so strong they started to rip the bushes out of the ground. After that I went to rocks and had about 50 lbs on both sides to keep the tarp in "storm" position like you see in that pic. It's amazing that the wind could pick up 10 lb rocks and whip them around on the end of a tarp.

Red-I know what you mean, I'll never sleep on the ground up there again. (unless it's on my favorite mossy napping spot!)

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    Are those smallmouth bass? Did they taste a little like algae? We used to catch bass in the John Day River of central Oregon. If I remember correctly, they were fine to eat in spring but got a little funny tasting in fall after a long, hot summer of low water.

--------------------

...this year and was glad I was hanging and not tenting , sooo many rocks and roots.
    Yes, so true. It's just sad to see people (like my wife) insist on tenting on ground like that. Lots of ground like that in the Cascade mountains of northern Washington state. And, especially the Appalachian mountains!
    Last edited by hikingjer; 10-03-2010 at 22:44. Reason: clean up incorrect puncuation

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Claytor tarp
    The bass up there don't taste any different than the walleye really. Just a different texture. The water is so deep and clean there is zero algae. Now here in Kentucky this time of year, I let pretty much all fish go except stripers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast