Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone used the Extreme Cold Army Bag

Has anyone every tested an Army issue "Extreme Cold sleeping bag" in a hammock. Only reason I am asking is that they are rated for -10 to -30 and the insulation (down/synthetic) is sewn into the heavy duty canvas fabric in such a way that doesnt seem to be affected as much as typical bags by compression. This bag is around 11 lbs and very bulky so it would only be used in car camping or canoe camping trips, and maybe in ?kayak bulkhead?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I have one of those bags. I got it for free. Have never used it.
    If used as a top bag in a hammock without any other insulation, I believe you would be super warm on top and still feel the cold underneath. Probably too warm on top. Might be o.k at above 40* or so. Give her a test.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 11-11-2007 at 17:49.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I remember when I was in the army being out in the field in low 30* temps and sleeping straight on the ground in one of the pup tent(shelter halves put together) I actually broke a sweat.
    Chris

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jscalia View Post
    Has anyone every tested an Army issue "Extreme Cold sleeping bag" in a hammock. Only reason I am asking is that they are rated for -10 to -30 and the insulation (down/synthetic) is sewn into the heavy duty canvas fabric in such a way that doesnt seem to be affected as much as typical bags by compression. This bag is around 11 lbs and very bulky so it would only be used in car camping or canoe camping trips, and maybe in ?kayak bulkhead?
    11lbs! Canvas? Is it really current official Army issue? Or is it something from the 50's?

Are our current troops being issued such ancient gear?

Army gear is not always the lightest

That is why their packs can be upwards of 100lbs. Of course, most of the troops are not carrying extreme cold bags unless operating in those temperatures.

Images
    wow...i guess they still issue those 30 pound folding latrene shovels instead of the 4 oz "ipood" plastic one:

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/60

That bag is/was 70's-early 80's circa for infantry, tankers, arty and REMF's had them much later. The current bag is the ECWS three part bag/system.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    They are called " fartsack" and I am blessed with having one. I think they come from the Korean War. It fills my gear closet. It says down/synthetic, but I bet it isn't much down at all. More like chicken feathers with some peices of chicken still attatched. There is instructions on how to exit in an emergency. I like to loan it out to my friends how refuse to buy gear but like to go hiking. There is always a ton of them on ebay.

I used it in the hammock once in my backyard, and it did ok. It is really warm on the top, but you still need a pad. I once used it as a pad and then used a quilt on top.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    They are called " fartsack" and I am blessed with having one. I think they come from the Korean War. It fills my gear closet. It says down/synthetic, but I bet it isn't much down at all. More like chicken feathers with some peices of chicken still attatched. There is instructions on how to exit in an emergency. I like to loan it out to my friends how refuse to buy gear but like to go hiking. There is always a ton of them on ebay.
    lol...i'm gonna need oxygen if i can't stop laughing soon

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    11lbs! Canvas? Is it really current official Army issue? Or is it something from the 50's?

Are our current troops being issued such ancient gear?
    Take a Knee is right, the new system is much better. I have not been issued the latest yet, but the three part I have is pretty nice. I am Aviation, and when it goes with me it is normally in a duffle on a truck or airplane. I am not sure of the weights, but it is much more user friendly than the old days.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast