Yesterday, I received my KAQ New River (long) UQ from Arrowhead Equipment. What a well-made product... I was very impressed with the way it looked. It actually surprised me when I pulled it out of the storage sack... it looked so nice and airy and comfortable.

Overnight temps in the low 30's were forecasted, so it was a perfect night to test out the new quilt. I strung up my ENO DoubleNest and Klemheisted a pair of loops of 2mm line to my whoopies to provide an adjustable attachment point for the New River's shock cord and mini-biner attachment system.

It only took one adjustment to get the perfect hang on the UQ. I added a short piece of 1/8" shock cord, a small cord lock and a mitten hook to the last one of the three pairs of Grosgrain loops on the New River to allow adjustment in snugging up the UQ in the foot area.

I used my REI PolarPod 35 deg. mummy bag as a top quilt, a thick polypro zip t-neck inside the New River's stuff sack for a pillow, and a light fleece watch cap on my head for warmth. I was wearing shorts and a cotton t-shirt. I didn't bother to string up a tarp.

I was very comfortable. Due to a bizarre wristwatch malfunction, I didn't spend the entire night in the hammock. (The first time I woke up and checked my Casio G-Shok Riseman after turning in, it read 3:18 am. Great! I slept halfway through the night already! The next time I checked, it said 6:28 am. Wow! I slept well. But why is it still dark out? I went in the house to find it was really 3:02 am. I was disgusted and went to bed. Dunno what's up with that watch....)

I'm leaving on a canoe/backpack bow hunt tomorrow and have decided to pack the hammock instead of the tent. A bold experiment for me, considering I haven't worked out the comfort issues yet.

The first night I slept in the hammock, I had lower back pain. Last night, I raised my tree straps and added a bit more sag. My back felt better but I had some shoulder squeeze and still didn't sleep well. I'll try a little more sag and a diagonal lay the next time. I have an adjustable ridge line to mess around with on my trip. I'm sure I'll either get things figured out or get tired enough that I'll sleep regardless.

This forum has been a great help and a lot of fun. Lots of nice folks involved in this hammocking thing!

Happy napping,
desmobob