Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images

Weird lay on Grand Trunk UL

I could not find a thread about this so hopefully someone can help me with this. I recently got a grand trunk ultralight and finally had the oppurtunity to set it up. It may just be me but when I hung it, and the laid in it and the only part that was taught was wherever there was pressure from my body. The sides hung down and remained very lose so its was like laying on a 12 inch wide hammock. I also tried laying diagnal and changing the way I hung the hammock multiple times with no luck. I'm very new to hammocking and have only used my friends eno single and warbonnet traveler and did not have this problem. Hopefully I explained my issue correctly. If anyone else has had this problem I would love to hear how you dealt with it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    I have a Grand Trunk Nano 7 and I've experienced some of the same issues. Sounds like you need to adjust your "sag" in the hammock... (basically, how much tension there is in the hammock, how much it sags toward the ground in a banana shape). Check out dejoha's Hammock Camping: The Basics for a great illustration and Just Jeff's Suspension page for some info.

The type of suspension you have will vary how you adjust it, but you have to make sure your tree straps are high enough on the tree to have approx a 30 degree angle between the hammock suspension line and the tree. Then you adjust how taut the hammock is strung to increase or decrease sag until you find something that's comfortable. A ridgeline (see Just Jeff's page for details) on the hammock can help you in getting a repeatable setup, or an adjustable ridgeline can let you adjust the amount of sag easily without fiddling with the suspension each time.

Hope that helps, I'm sure others can chime in with some more info and correct me if I missed anything since I'm new to this too
    Last edited by jloden; 10-03-2010 at 18:55. Reason: edited for clarity

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thank you very much jloden, I will deffiently give it a shot with more sag and report back.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Well, maybe I am just dumb, but with all different variables of sag I still can't seem to hang this thing right. I've went from around 30 degree to around 45 degrees on the suspention and still have the same problem. Its like laying on a hammock that isn't even wide enough to support my body completely. Since others seem to love this hammock it seems it must be my problem. Its just so weird the the eno single and the war bonnet traveleler seem to work like I thought nearly all hammocks work. So maybe I just need to try to return this thing and get me a war bonnet. The worst part is I will not have a hammock for this trip next week I've been planning for the last 2 months. I may be tenting it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Well, maybe I am just dumb, but with all different variables of sag I still can't seem to hang this thing right. I've went from around 30 degree to around 45 degrees on the suspention and still have the same problem.
    Well, this might be a dumb question, but are you adjusting the suspension length? What kind of suspension are you using?

You may need to play with both the height of the straps on the tree and the length of the suspension between tree and hammock. Possibly even find some trees that are a better distance apart. If your trees are too close or too far for your suspension you may find it difficult to set up the hammock. If you can post a picture of your setup, that may help.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Parachute Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Therm-a-Rest
    Suspension
    D.I.Y.
    i hate to bring this thred back from the grave, but i just got a grand trunk single parachute hammock and i feel the exact same way, and im a skinny guy.....next hammock is gonna be a double

Hammock
    WBBB or GT traveller
    Tarp
    ZPacks asym
    Insulation
    Golite TQ / JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Cheapo webbing
    Images
    I have the UL as well, and the only way I can get comfortable is if I set it really REALLY tight. I know that goes against the conventional wisdom, but it seems to just like a tight hang.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I have the UL and the nano and the double parachute. I wish I were a little closer to give a demo. The best advice I can give is to make sure your trees are a good distance apart and your suspension is high enough. I drew an illustration that made it simple for me: walk three paces for the best distance between the trees, tie off the suspension as high as you can reach, adjust the suspension so the hammock is chsir height. This should get you a pretty good hang.

The bottom line is to get the hang that you like. The 30° angle is a general guideline, but personal preference is what you should go with. I used to use fixed ridge lines, bit they don't work for me. I can get. A better lay and hang without it.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Owning a GT ATHH, UL, SB and SB Pro I can tell you the bigger ones sleep better. The UL at 4.5' wide is just too narrow for me to get diagonal at all. The ATHH at 6' wide is actually a bit too wide and the side droop. I guess there is a reason Ed Speer came up with 5' and Brandon uses 5'6". That seems to be the sweet spot for widths.
    In the Summer when you can hang your feet over the sides without need of insulation the UL works fine. However, when you need to keep your lower legs and feet insulated, 4.5' is not quite wide enough for me.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch

grand trunk rep

i spoke with a grand trunk rep at GEARFEST in dayton, about a month ago.

he didn't even bring the UL out for demos - in short, he said its a pretty awful hammock.
    that's why its 16$ on amazon.

but- at the same note- i have one and its OK for backyard afternoon hangs.
    i do get the "loose body fabric" at any hang angle too.
    i've done an overnighter in it, but wanted back in my WB Traveler.

Redbeard is selling a traveler for 55$. although it may be gone as i write this.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast