Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Arrow First DIY Hammock: Need some Input

Hi guys,

Right now I have two hammocks: A Clark Jungle Hammock Ultralite, and an off-brand silk "parachute" hammock. I'm not totally satisfied with either one, so I'm thinking of my own. The Clark is nice, but the bug netting can be a bit much, and I usually prefer my own tarp over the included one. The silk hammock is better, but I always slide to one end, and it just doesn't feel safe.

My idea is to buy some 1.9oz silnylon (roughly 60"/9ft), and use some rock climbing strength webbing to tie the ends off. I think I'll use a double sheet bend with some back-up knots, and tie the other end off to make a loop, which I can then use with my slap straps.

My concerns:

Am I getting enough fabric? I am 6' 2", and with a gathered end hammock, I don't know what length I should go for.

Will the double sheet bend hold? As an Eagle Scout, I trust my knots, but I want to be extra careful. Should I consider whipping the end and then using a girth hitch?

What improvements could be made to my design? Would an integrated stuff sack, a ridgeline, or something else help? Please chime in with suggestions.

How compatible is this with accessories? Will an underquilt fit? Is there anything I should be worried about on that account?

Is there a cheaper way to do this? I haven't graduated high school yet, and I'm an honors student (too busy for a job), so I'll be operating off gift money.

Thanks for all the help! I can't wait to hear some feedback!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    I'm 5'8" and three yards is too short for me. I'd suggest 10th minimum but no need to go much more.

Find JustJeff's hammock page. Good starting there. I think you're overthinking it.

You can do it for $25 or less depending on how industrious you are.

Good luck and have fun.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You really don't want to use silnylon. It would make a very sweaty, sticky hammock. Just use regular ripstop.

I wouldn't use climbing webbing either, It's nylon and is made to stretch - exactly what you DON'T want for a hammock. A poly webbing is what to look for. The webbing from a set of tie-down straps works very well.

I'm 6'1" and I like an 11' length. I tried 10', and it worked okay, but the 11' feels much roomier.

Check the DIY forum for threads by Knotty and headchange4u for some great instructions. They are sticky'd at the top of the forum. Also, Just Jeff's website is a wealth of info and has instructions for making your own hammock.

Good luck with your project.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    x2 on the 11' hammock. I don't think I'd trust a sheet bend, though... too much at stake.

there are a number of ways to gather your ends. Whipping is easy, and offers options, I also like the Warbonnet method where you run a drawstring through a small channel in the end and make a small bundle. Your strapping/webbing/amsteel/whatever is then attached to each end with a larkshead.

Lots of info here on how to do it, or http://imrisk.com JustJeff's site is awesome, as is Sgt. Rock's. They all have things to offer.

1.9oz ripstop is great, I've gone as light as 1.1oz/yd and I weigh 210 (slept 2 nights this weekend in my 1.1!)

Either way, you can't go wrong, just make sure you integrate a structural ridgeline and play with the length of it, it makes a huge difference in comfort.

Underquilts are great, but pads work well, too. Checkout Shug's videos in the General Hammocking section. He'll show you a Segmented Pad Extender... Much cheaper than an UQ, but not quite as comfy. (still better than being a groundling)

For top insulation, I use a too-small for my fat-a** mummy bag. Works great as a top quilt, I use a safety pin to keep the zipper closed to about my knees.

best of luck!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Look at that! I put down my ideas, and I've got the experts refining them within a few hours.

So, an update on the revisions...

Body: regular ripstop, not silnylon (so I don't drown in a pool of my own condensation), and I'll go with 11 feet instead of 9.

Gathering: I think I'll use the regular whipping method, or a noncommittal version of JustJeff's "W" whipping (I'll bring the middle up halfway).

Suspension: Thanks to the generosity of JohnSawyer, I'll use mule tape instead of climbing webbing.

Also, from JustJeff's page, I realized I'll need to hem everything. I'm no stranger to a bit of sewing, but what kind of thread should I be looking at?

Again, thank you for all your suggestions. I really appreciate the help.

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    100% polyester thread. Guttermon is my fav (sure i spelled that wrong) and locally available.

-Tim

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    +1 what the others said.

Instructions: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Don't get the heavy duty polyester thread. The all-purpose stuff is what you want...

I use that for everything, including sewing loops on my straps...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Sounds good! A note on gathering: The lay can be affected greatly by a rather small adjustment in the gathering, so gather carefully and deliberately, and be prepared to adjust it a few times to get the perfect lay. I'm not saying it's dangerous or anything, just that
    a little pull here or there can be the difference between the perfect lay and a ridge across your spine. Don't be discouraged if the first shot doesn't quite feel right. It took me probably a dozen re-gatherings to get mine the way I wanted it. :-D

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts