DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    width... i wouldn't skimp to much on the width myself. just the other night i was reminded about cold shoulders, elbows, but, & knees<g>.

shape... i think "canoe" fits the shape i like best... sorta like the hammock it' self. except a canoe w/ both ends cut off.
    with most under quilts there's extra stuff at both ends that is gathered up to match the smaller ends of the hammock, but unless you want the extra width & drawstring so you can vent, that's an area you can shave weight & bulk.
    one thing i have thought about adding to my next underquilt is a thin, down filled, draft collar on the inside of both ends to create a good seal.

attachment... i like the idea of sewing loops onto the hammock edges.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Great post Just Jeff and the timing is perfect for me as I am ordering some down tomorrow. There are so many different ideas and designs that wading through them for a first time DIY down filled quilt is a daunting task.

I am leaning towards a shaped quilt to reduce weight and using side tie outs for attachment. Thickness of about 1.5 or 2 inches and as I have NO experience in using one and have not seen any that are comercialy available I am not sure if making the pockets run length ways or having them run from side to side is the best way to go. You talk about putting darts in one of the fabric shells to make it conform to the hammock better. Are you thinking along the lines of the kick *** quilt design?

If past projects have taught me one thing it is that as the first one evolves, at some part near the end I can see what I should have done...

Once again.... Thank you for all the great ideas that get bounced around in this forum.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I guess what I'm thinking of is a kickass/snugfit/warbonnet hybrid. Kickass b/c it's a bathtub shape, snugfit b/c I might put darts on the inside so it poofs out against my back, and warbonnet b/c it's a half-quilt.

I'm thinking, for a half-quilt, darts running lengthwise might work best.

And of course, as I'm making it I'll figure out what to do for version 2!!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    jeff, i just made a newest 1/2 length for cannibal, i'm actually still playing around with it. it's asym baththub shaped. the asym comes in by having a little bulge at the left shoulder, and the ends are cut a little slanted since the quilt sits slightly diagonal on the hammock, that way it still comes down the same length on both legs. same idea at the head end too.

these dimensions are for the sheet that contacts the hammock, and are the raw cut dimensions, after sewing the finished dimensions are obviously a bit narrower/shorter. the outer shell is cut on the differential and is thus bigger, how much larger depends on the thickness of the quilt.

these dimensions are the result from at least 5 different versions, the first few were a bit too narrow.

the length is 44.5" this covers from the top of my neck to about 5" past my crotch. (i'm 5'10-11"ish)

the width at the head end is 25.5"
    width at shoulder is 39" going more than a couple inches less than that will be pushing it, and the quilt will have to be perfectly centered underneath you to provide enough coverage on each side.
    width in middle is 39.5"
    width at bottom end is 30"

there is a hem on each side, and shock cord runs through it and goes up to the ends of the hammock where it is attached. these are the only suspension points. it is nice, b/c the shock cord/hem holds the sides of the uq tight to the side of hammock throughout its length, and if tight enough, it lifts upward enough, pulling the ends up snugly to the bottom of the hammock as well, loosening, will allow the ends to sag just a bit for some ventilation.

another great feature of this, is that since the shock cord runs freely inside the hem, and there are no other attachment points (like at the corners, shock cord just exits the hem at the 4 corners)is that the uq can slide up and down the length of the shock cord/hammock after you are positioned where you want to be. this was an accidental thing, but is one of the coolest features, allowing you to move it up toward your head a bit more or down toward your feet a bit more without having to move yourself, or get out of the hammock.

thats basically it. mine is synthetic, and has a zipper to access the inside so layers of climashield are removeable, and has a breathable shell this time, and i am going to make a removeable sil shell for it as well(since it is not for me, i've had no problems with the permanent sil shell as i've said before)

i also just made some draft-tube like things for sealing off the ends as efficiently as possible when near the limits of the quilt. they are basically 1/2" x 3/4" ocf strips that velcro across the ends of the quilt(an inch or two from the edge). they weigh just under an ounce for the pair. i'm hoping this will seal off any heat from leaking out the ends. i haven't tested them yet, so i don't know if they will make any signifigant difference or not.

i'm also excited to test this version with and without the sil shell to see how much warmth it really adds.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 11-13-2007 at 00:57.

Images
    GreenT

I'm not sure what your intended application for the UQ is, but if tis winter sleeping even 2.5" isn't likely to be enough thickness. At least not without lots of extras insulation in pads and clothes etc...

I'm personally thinking about something in the 4"-5" thick range. That when mixed and matched in combination with a 1-2" "summer" synthetic quilt should give good all year sleeping for lows from 15C to -20C...
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    jeff, i just made a newest 1/2 length for cannibal, i'm actually still playing around with it. it's asym baththub shaped. the asym comes in by having a little bulge at the left shoulder, and the ends are cut a little slanted since the quilt sits slightly diagonal on the hammock, that way it still comes down the same length on both legs. same idea at the head end too.

these dimensions are for the sheet that contacts the hammock, and are the raw cut dimensions, after sewing the finished dimensions are obviously a bit narrower/shorter. the outer shell is cut on the differential and is thus bigger, how much larger depends on the thickness of the quilt.

these dimensions are the result from at least 5 different versions, the first few were a bit too narrow.

the length is 44.5" this covers from the top of my neck to about 5" past my crotch. (i'm 5'10-11"ish)

the width at the head end is 25.5"
    width at shoulder is 39" going more than a couple inches less than that will be pushing it, and the quilt will have to be perfectly centered underneath you to provide enough coverage on each side.
    width in middle is 39.5"
    width at bottom end is 30"

there is a hem on each side, and shock cord runs through it and goes up to the ends of the hammock where it is attached. these are the only suspension points. it is nice, b/c the shock cord/hem holds the sides of the uq tight to the side of hammock throughout its length, and if tight enough, it lifts upward enough, pulling the ends up snugly to the bottom of the hammock as well, loosening, will allow the ends to sag just a bit for some ventilation.

another great feature of this, is that since the shock cord runs freely inside the hem, and there are no other attachment points (like at the corners, shock cord just exits the hem at the 4 corners)is that the uq can slide up and down the length of the shock cord/hammock after you are positioned where you want to be. this was an accidental thing, but is one of the coolest features, allowing you to move it up toward your head a bit more or down toward your feet a bit more without having to move yourself, or get out of the hammock.

thats basically it. mine is synthetic, and has a zipper to access the inside so layers of climashield are removeable, and has a breathable shell this time, and i am going to make a removeable sil shell for it as well(since it is not for me, i've had no problems with the permanent sil shell as i've said before)

i also just made some draft-tube like things for sealing off the ends as efficiently as possible when near the limits of the quilt. they are basically 1/2" x 3/4" ocf strips that velcro across the ends of the quilt(an inch or two from the edge). they weigh just under an ounce for the pair. i'm hoping this will seal off any heat from leaking out the ends. i haven't tested them yet, so i don't know if they will make any signifigant difference or not.

i'm also excited to test this version with and without the sil shell to see how much warmth it really adds.
    Now I REALLY can't wait to try this thing!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I think Cannibal needs to see some pics! Just post them here

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    me first.

i tried it last night without the sil or the draft tubes, and was hot, it only got to 37* though

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I think Cannibal needs to see some pics! Just post them here
    it's strikingly similar to the pics i posted in the "new hammock specs" thread.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...+hammock+specs

Thanks, gettin old and did not remember the thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast