Thread: Hello from Utah

Hammock
    WBB 1.7 dbl
    Images

Hello from Utah

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the site for the great information here. I've been lurking for a bit trying to figure everything out on what I want and have to say I've learned a lot from everyone. Great attitude and helpfulness here.

Bit of background. I haven't been a big camper for a while (almost since my scouting days which is farther back than I care to remember) but I was recently made a Varsity scoutmaster for my are and am getting back into the swing of things, that and my family of 5 is starting to camp much more often. Trying to get used to sleeping on the ground took a bit but I found this site and thought I would try hammocking it.

Well on a recent trip to a site in the Wasatch mountains (Ruth lake for those who've been there) I took a Hennesy hammock and has the most comfortable nights sleep I've ever spent freezing (early September at 10k feet and it was cooooold ,frost on the the ground before 10 pm ). Needless to say I was cold, heck everyone in their tents were cold but at least I wasn't fighting the ground. I have to say I'm a convert to the hammocking way of camping even after being cold.

Well I decided the Hennesy wasn't for me and after spending way to much time on this site decided on a 1.7 dbl layer blackbird, just got word today that it's shipped and looking forward to it. As for why I decided against the Hennesy, well it was a bottom entrance and after having my wife and two girls try it and everyone got their hair caught I wanted something else and the blackbird looked like a good fix.

Now I just need to get a couple of trees planted since I'm in a fairly new construction house and a vinyl fence just doesn't work . Biggest problem is figuring out a hammock stand that is portable but will fit in the back of a short bed truck.

Well, that's a rather long intro but I want to again say thanks for a great forum and wonderful information.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF> You'll love your WBBB 1.7 it's one fantastic hammock.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRansom View Post
    Now I just need to get a couple of trees planted since I'm in a fairly new construction house and a vinyl fence just doesn't work . Biggest problem is figuring out a hammock stand that is portable but will fit in the back of a short bed truck.
    Welcome to the forum! I sojourned in Provo for a few years (wrong side of the point of the mountain, I know, but don't hold it against me). I also suffer from having a noticeable lack of hang-able trees in the yard. The following threads might help with a portable hammock stand:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=hammock+stand

and

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8758

Hope that gets you closer to your hang-at-your-convenience goals!
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRansom View Post
    ... Well on a recent trip to a site in the Wasatch mountains (Ruth lake for those who've been there) I took a Hennesy hammock and has the most comfortable nights sleep I've ever spent freezing (early September at 10k feet and it was cooooold ,frost on the the ground before 10 pm ). Needless to say I was cold, heck everyone in their tents were cold but at least I wasn't fighting the ground. I have to say I'm a convert to the hammocking way of camping even after being cold...
    Welcome to the forum... I spent a lot of time up mirror lake hwy this year. We had a hail storm in July @ Steiner, which was a welcome event because the skeeters went away. Ruth And Kamas were a couple of our morning hikes on that trip. I was sleeping on the ground at night and lounging in the hammock during the day. If only I would have found this place sooner.

• + New Posts