Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

Te Wa Summer UQ + TQ, First real use.

Last weekend I had my first proper hammock camping trip.
    4 nights in the Hunter Valley hills.
    The trip was predominately a hunting trip but we will not go into that other then I had a very successful few days in the hills.

I arrived around 10:00pm on Thursday night to be ready for the 5:00am start in the morning.

I set-up the hammock with one end off a post in my trailer and the other end off a tree next to the creek.
    When I arrived it was around 4∘C which was a bit concerning as I only have a Te wa summer TQ & UQ. Both quilts are rated to 10∘C but I'm a hot sleeper so figured I'd be okay with some clothes on.
    Anyway I climbed in with my thermals on to see how I would fair. I didn't feel cold at all when first going to bed, while I wouldn't say I was warm, I wasn't cold either.
    I was fine until about 3:30am and woke up with cold feet and CBS, checking the thermometer the temp had dropped down to 0.7∘C which is very odd for the time of year and area. The forecast was only down to about 8∘C which I figured I could tolerate.
    I ended up putting my jacket on and more socks, Was still cold and finally surrendered the summer TQ for my down Kathmandu winter sleeping bag and jammed my car windshield reflector between the layers in the WBBB. While still not warm I could tolerate it and sorta slept but couldn't get my feet warmed back up. I was also wrestling with my foot pad to keep in position between the layers in the WBBB double.
    I was really glad I was still next to the car and able to easily grab more gear.

Friday morning was spent hiking up the 600 meter elevation climb to the top of the mountain. To say that was fun would be a complete lie as the bush is thick and there are no proper trail's other than what Kangaroo's and feral Goats use.

Once up there though the view is great and things flatten out a fair bit compared to the climb.
    A nice camp was found and I gotta say that the flexibility of the hammock was great as there are heaps of trees and not so many flat spots.
    Comfort was great and the Friday night temps only dropped to 12.1∘C so I was nice and warm.
    I also put my footpad straight in the TQ foot tube and that wasn't as bad as I first thought when trying it at home.
    Other than getting the overlap of the UQ and pad right I didn't notice and drafts from below.

The remaining nights were just spent next to the car but I still slept in the hammock.
    It rained non stop from Saturday night through to when we left on Monday but I the coverage was great from my OES standard tarp.
    I also put my TQ inside the UQ for some extra loft one night, while it wasn't that cold (only down to 14.7∘C) I did notice the extra warmth from below.

All in all it was a great trip and all I need to do now before next winter is get a 3 season UQ for the under 10∘C weather.
    I'll just use the summer UQ for late October through to late March.

I think the summer TQ will be fine used with a 3 season UQ down to around 0∘C as when the temps dropped I was cold from below not above.

Learning curve I know and I figured I get the quilts below the rating, I guess I did do that but just couldn't do 10∘C below the rating, 5-6∘C wasn't a big ask though.

Anyway we live and learn.....

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    wow! that TQ you got was only 5oz of down fill, rated to IMO about 50+ degrees F.
    good on ya for making it thru the weekend.
    mike

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Yeh I know but I'm generally a warm sleeper.
    Like I said, it was from below I got cold and that was only my bum and feet.
    From the top I was okay.

It was only the one night I was cold anyway. The rest were fine and I was very warm.

I'll keep playing with it, Only have to wait till next year's winter now to test it more as we are into spring them a hot summer here.

That's when the summer quilts will pay off.

• + New Posts