Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Hammock hang out in a hall

Hi there all

First post after lurking for several weeks. I'm a Cub Scout leader and have managed to get a foot in the door with the group to try out some hammocking. Yah! This needs to be a minimum cost exercise that can be completed easily within 2 hours for kids aged 8 - 11. I was proposing using some borrowed bedsheets, or similar, as the hammock body - this is to sew the seed for the future rather than create an actual long term working hammock. I'll be getting the boys to make up a simple W fold, some whipping and use a lark's head to support them. I've tried this out with my 10yo and 7yo kids who both fitted the bedsheet version easily so size wise it is fine. Strength wise it was fine too as the kids are all fairly light.

My question is how best to support these in the hall? I'll have about 20 kids in hammocks. There are exposed beams in the ceiling that have been used for other structure hangings in the past. I am proposing running a couple of main support ropes down the length of the hall strung from rafter to rafter. The hammocks will be tied to these support ropes.

Does this sound reasonable?

Will the support ropes pull together and banana your cub scouts?

I'd add that fabric is potentially more cheaply available than bedsheets and would leave you with a permanent resource. Plus, when I was a cub scout, I relished the opportunity to camp out in the open by a roaring campfire.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubes View Post
    Hi there all

First post after lurking for several weeks. I'm a Cub Scout leader and have managed to get a foot in the door with the group to try out some hammocking. Yah! This needs to be a minimum cost exercise that can be completed easily within 2 hours for kids aged 8 - 11. I was proposing using some borrowed bedsheets, or similar, as the hammock body - this is to sew the seed for the future rather than create an actual long term working hammock. I'll be getting the boys to make up a simple W fold, some whipping and use a lark's head to support them. I've tried this out with my 10yo and 7yo kids who both fitted the bedsheet version easily so size wise it is fine. Strength wise it was fine too as the kids are all fairly light.

My question is how best to support these in the hall? I'll have about 20 kids in hammocks. There are exposed beams in the ceiling that have been used for other structure hangings in the past. I am proposing running a couple of main support ropes down the length of the hall strung from rafter to rafter. The hammocks will be tied to these support ropes.

Does this sound reasonable?
    sorry that this post didn't get much response rubes. sounds like the bed sheets will do the job for what you described.
    what kind & size rafters are you talking about? or has the demonstration already taken place? ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Demo not for another few weeks.

Had another look at the structure again a few nights ago. Rafters are pretty substantial rolled steel joists anchored to solid concrete piers. They are about 10" deep. There are several D shackles already attached. Since the original idea I have moved on to V2. Now planning to suspend a couple of 3" diam timber posts from the rafters and then hang the hammocks off these. With the way the posts will be suspended they have ropes to both sides of the hall in a V shape so should be fairly much stable in position.

The great thing is that several of the other leaders are pretty excited about the project. I think it is going to work!

Images
    hey there,
    I think it is a great idea in that it combines their making the hammock and then using it. As a former Cub Scout leader and now Boy Scout worker, I think it will work out well. I would agree that yo might do better with some material other than bed sheets, but I agree that they will work for what you are intending. My son loves my hammock and want to start using it, as long as he doesn't look odd to the rest of the kids. Peer pressure is a bummer. Having the whole pack do this is a good idea. I hope you post some pics of the event.

aerorider65
    Roads go ever ever on, under cloud and under star; Yet feet that wandering have gone, turn at last to home afar. Bilbo Baggins

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubes View Post
    Demo not for another few weeks.

Had another look at the structure again a few nights ago. Rafters are pretty substantial rolled steel joists anchored to solid concrete piers. They are about 10" deep. There are several D shackles already attached. Since the original idea I have moved on to V2. Now planning to suspend a couple of 3" diam timber posts from the rafters and then hang the hammocks off these. With the way the posts will be suspended they have ropes to both sides of the hall in a V shape so should be fairly much stable in position.

The great thing is that several of the other leaders are pretty excited about the project. I think it is going to work!
    If you can, I would test everything before the day of, that way you can make any adjustments. Worst thing is having something go wrong at the beginning.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, setting the whole thing up & checking every thing out before hand would be good for the ol confidence<G>
    and just be sure the sheets you use aren't wearing thin

how far apart is the distance from one end of a hammock's attachment point to the other?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    The distance is up to me really as the wooden spars can be spaced to suit with the way I plan suspending the ropework. I was going to have them about 4 yards apart. Rope is something we have no problem with

I'll definitely be testing out the suspension thoroughly.

I'd love to get proper ripstop but it is not so cheap nor easy to pickup in Australia. We definitely don't have $1 bins

Images
    I've been trying out a few alternatives. Blankets, curtains etc. All fine for the kids.

One thing deserves special mention. I tried an emergency poly tarpaulin and this worked very well. Due to it's size I doubled it over and this meant that it had two layers. You can choose to lie on top or between the layers. It seemed a little stretchy and needed a few goes at tightening it up but the 10' width meant it was super flat to lie in. I reckon it would be pretty sweaty for a real night's sleep but it was very impressive as a true emergency shelter. Took less than 10 minutes to rig up from scratch armed just with a couple of shoelaces, three ropes (a ridgeline to help give some room inside) and the tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast