HH UL Backpacker Zip/ HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Expedition & Hex
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Soon to be Whoopie

First time setting up...any input?

I tried posting images the way I do in other forums let's see if it works.

Do you see anything wrong with it? Other than it's in my backyard? The figure 8 knots Hennessy likes you to use were easy enough...if my straps didn't want to keep moving around on me.

Question...my one tree was too big too double back around the tree. I got lucky enough there's a v to catch it and support it. I can't see how this would work on a smooth round tree. In the given point do you try to find another tree? Also does the resting empty angle and what not look ok? Tension on the hammock appear ok or is there a general rule if thumb for how tight to tie it?

Here's my biggest noob question...on the fly does the dull coated side go down or up? Right now it's on the bottom. I really didn't want to ask this question but what the heck...

My mother swung by my house and looked at it and swears the lines are going too break and drop my butt on the ground...gotta love the faith huh?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice job!

On a quick visual, I'd suggest you tie your tarp lines lower. Remember, the hammock is going to drop more when you get in it. That is going to be exaggerated by the long span you are tied to in the pics. Think footage of drop, not inches. Can't tell about the level aspect. With HHs in particular, most folks like the foot-end an inch or two higher than the head-end. Keeps you from sliding down by the entry and in some cases, out the entry.

As long as you can get a solid anchor point, fine. But, never sacrifice safety for convenience. If an attachment point looks just a little 'off', find new trees. Too many things can go wrong. JMO. The ridgeline angle looks fine to me, but opinions do differ there. As long as it works for you, great! It looks like you've got yourself a fine starting point.

I just got up and went to look, can't help you with the tarp. Any 'shiny side' there ever was, tis not there any longer on any of my HH tarps. Is it a sil tarp, or a PU coated? My guess would be shiny side out.

How does it feel? That's what really matters.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    What model of HH is it? If you have the Asym ULT LT Bckpr, the tarp will only fit one way and it will lay on the asym. How far apart are your trees? 12-15 ft?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition & Hex
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Soon to be Whoopie
    The distance between tie off points is 16 feet. I had no other alternatives to tie off too. You are correct on the HH UL Backpacker. The fly however is an expedition fly...that's what is was told. I purchased it from a member on here and have to say I'd never even know it'd been used. Oh it's the zip model if that helps any.

I'm looking at my cheap-o sleeping bag and a mummy bag that I have and am debating sleeping setups. It will be a nice cool 48 when I wake up so between my 2 pads and these bags I'm sure I'll manage to stay warm.

As far as how it felt? From what I could tell (being my first hammock ) it was good. Little awkward at first being leary of how well I set it up...entry was a little funny to watch. This is a new way to sleep for me so it's going to take a little adjustment but I'm sure I'll be just fine.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    If your tarp is the parolegram (can't spell!! but it's the drunk rectangle looking tarp) I set mine to match the pull outs on my hammock. There's only one way it would go so that I was covered inside the hammock. In my HH, I lay off center and that matches the how the tarp is hung.
    I hated the ropes on my HH and changed them out real quick for whoopies. Just think what your mom would say if she saw you hanging from ropes that are only 7/64ths!!

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition & Hex
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Soon to be Whoopie

Good first night!

So I setup the hammock at app 6 pm yesterday evening. From there I went inside and started looking at the sleeping bags inside my house...narrowed it down to my cheapo 40-50 degree bag and stuck it inside the hammock. Well by now it was time to hit the hay (roughly 11) so I hopped on in and did my best to wrap up. Well as most of you know you will not get fully covered this way which really was no big deal to me. With my camp pillow in hand I burrow in and pass out. Now trying to find my comfy position took a little wriggling around but I got there. I arose at 5am to my neighbors dog incessant barking and the urge to pee. I ignored these and tried to lay back down for another hour. After rolling around for 15 min and not being able to get comfy nor warm again ( it was a nice cool 49 degrees out), I gave up and went inside and began getting ready.

Now from 11-5 I never woke up so I'd have to say I slept well. A few things were learned from this...hurry up and make this bag into an UQ fast. When waking up to 49 degrees...a ccf pad or inflatable might have kept me more warm than the bag alone.

When your trees are 17 feet apart...you sag more...a lot more.
    (I had been warned...I was still off the ground tho that's what counts!!)

When cold and bundled up...sure farting for warmth sounds like a good idea...it's not

Be sure to remind the fiancé to NOT let the dogs out in the back yard when you are sleeping out there...

Sleeping in your back yard unbenounced to your neighbors allows you to learn many new things about them...

All in all a fun and successful night out!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayak Camper View Post
    The distance between tie off points is 16 feet. I had no other alternatives to tie off too. You are correct on the HH UL Backpacker. The fly however is an expedition fly...that's what is was told. I purchased it from a member on here and have to say I'd never even know it'd been used. Oh it's the zip model if that helps any.

I'm looking at my cheap-o sleeping bag and a mummy bag that I have and am debating sleeping setups. It will be a nice cool 48 when I wake up so between my 2 pads and these bags I'm sure I'll manage to stay warm.

As far as how it felt? From what I could tell (being my first hammock ) it was good. Little awkward at first being leary of how well I set it up...entry was a little funny to watch. This is a new way to sleep for me so it's going to take a little adjustment but I'm sure I'll be just fine.
    I couldn't get comfortable when I was laying on a pad. Using a pad, IMO, diminishes the comfort of the hammock... so I hunted for an UQ fast. Once I purchased an UQ, I was easily able to find comfort. The bottom of the hammock would be toasty warm and I will wrap myself in my sleeping bag with it fully unzipped.

When merely experimenting in your backyard, you have the ability to use a fleece or wool blanket underneath you and use your sleeping bag as a TQ. Setting up and trying to sleep in your hammock a number of times will greatly increase your comfort when you venture into the wild. I think I set mine up around 7 times to learn some tricks and to better decide what mods I would like to do first on my hammock.

Your first night sounds typical to my results...adjusting to the outside noises and dealing with the cold spots. You are well on your way... soon you will have your setup dialed in and you will want to sleep outside everynight, but your wife will have something to say about it, I'm sure .

Keep us updated.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Congrats on a successful night out!! That's fantastic. And, thanks for the pointers. I'll use them on my upcoming first night out this weekend!

Hoooo-Dilly!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition & Hex
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Soon to be Whoopie
    Well we are going camping this weekend so I'll get another go at it. It'd be amazing if my other setup arrived by friday but I honestly don't see that happening. If so them Canadian boys are pretty good! Im looking forward to an amazing few nights this coming weekend...the garage is strewn with gear!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My only concern is if you are tied to a 4 x 4 fence post. The forces on your supports increase exponentially as you approach horizontal.
    And, a fence post doesn't heal, so each time you stress it, the chances of taking a fall increase.

Yes, I have hung from a 4 x 4, but it is a risky proposition, and I knew it was a risk, did it anyway . Just remember one of our "Rules": Never hang higher than you are willing to fall! And naturally, this depends on how well (quickly) you heal.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts