3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks

POLL: removing weight

Curious to know what others have to say.

1. What UQ do you have? (DIY or bought)
    2. What is it's current weight?
    3. Where do you think weight could be save?
    4. What are the negatives?
    5. What are the positives?
    6. Material, which is it and could it be better?

add to the list if you like.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I have four options that I've used successfully as an under quilt.

1. Crowsnest. Stormcrows quilt is absolutely amazing. 16 oz. I can't think of any improvements.

2. Insultex. I have one of the new "IX" quilts from Mac and have had good success to 50*F. It packs down about the size of the Crowsnest but weighs only 8.8 oz. Not anything I would change.

3. The ubiquitous PLUQ (poncho liner under quilt). I've made a few of these and really enjoy them as an inexpensive, durable UQ for my kids and friends. About 23 oz. The fun of the PLUQ is that I can make them pretty easily and add different insulation. I have some with insultex in the middle and I hope to make some with climashield.

4. Pull-up bag. I was so happy to get a rectangular down-filled bag that worked perfectly as a pull-up bag. After trial-and-error, I found I could shake the down all to one side to make a great underquilt. The pull-up bag made it difficult to get a good asym lay, but it was day and night difference from a closed-cell foam pad. 43 oz. For the Kelty Galactic 35*F bag, and I still needed something inside as a top quilt.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    2. Insultex. I have one of the new "IX" quilts from Mac and have had good success to 50*F. It packs down about the size of the Crowsnest but weighs only 8.8 oz. Not anything I would change.
    Did you experience problems below 50 degrees, or did you just happen to never use it below 50 degrees?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetruck View Post
    Did you experience problems below 50 degrees, or did you just happen to never use it below 50 degrees?
    I haven't had a chance to test it below 50°F yet. On my last trip, I experienced some condensation inside the IX UQ which adversely affected the performance. It wasn't horrible, but it was noticeable.

I have a trip planned this weekend, unless the tornadoes shut down the camp. I'm planning to bring the IX and the Crowsnest. Expected lows are 33°F, so I'm looking forward to measuring how low I can go with the IX.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I haven't had a chance to test it below 50°F yet. On my last trip, I experienced some condensation inside the IX UQ which adversely affected the performance. It wasn't horrible, but it was noticeable.

I have a trip planned this weekend, unless the tornadoes shut down the camp. I'm planning to bring the IX and the Crowsnest. Expected lows are 33°F, so I'm looking forward to measuring how low I can go with the IX.
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate your links and trip report!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    1. down under quilt, loft 5" to 5.5". Supposedly good to -20F, but have only been to single digits. Weight, about 21 oz. Save Weight on it? Why?

Positives: small compressed size and light weight for temp capability.
      Negatives: useless when wet, heavy when wet. Impossible to dry in field if it gets wet. Must store uncompressed in very large bag.
    2. 3 layer Insultex under quilt. same weight as down under quilt above, about 21 oz. Packed size the same. TeeDee and I have been to 11F in them and cozy warm.

Positives: small compressed size and light. Don't know lower temp range. Unaffected by water and can be stored fully compressed for long periods (how long is unknown, but storing compressed for 6 months has not affected it thus far). Thus easy to store when not used. No need for weather protection on outside of under quilt.
      Negatives: none found thus far, but sure there must be at least one

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    1. down under quilt, loft 5" to 5.5". Supposedly good to -20F, but have only been to single digits. Weight, about 21 oz. Save Weight on it? Why?

Positives: small compressed size and light weight for temp capability.
      Negatives: useless when wet, heavy when wet. Impossible to dry in field if it gets wet. Must store uncompressed in very large bag.
    2. 3 layer Insultex under quilt. same weight as down under quilt above, about 21 oz. Packed size the same. TeeDee and I have been to 11F in them and cozy warm.

Positives: small compressed size and light. Don't know lower temp range. Unaffected by water and can be stored fully compressed for long periods (how long is unknown, but storing compressed for 6 months has not affected it thus far). Thus easy to store when not used. No need for weather protection on outside of under quilt.
      Negatives: none found thus far, but sure there must be at least one
    Did you ever have any condensation issues?

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetruck View Post
    Did you ever have any condensation issues?
    ---None.---

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    3. The ubiquitous PLUQ (poncho liner under quilt). I've made a few of these and really enjoy them as an inexpensive, durable UQ for my kids and friends. About 23 oz. The fun of the PLUQ is that I can make them pretty easily and add different insulation. I have some with insultex in the middle and I hope to make some with climashield.
    The best I've found for a used liner is $20..., but I took mine and folded/tied it up, added a strip of IX and used it for my son this last weekend.. got down below 60 and he was toasty with just a fleece blanket. Of course, he singlehandedly kept the woods from getting colder... darn kid is a space-heater.

How low can you go with a PLUQ? Any cheap sources for liners?

john
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    How low can you go with a PLUQ? Any cheap sources for liners?
    My local Army/Navy shop here in Flagstaff closed its doors about a month or more ago. They had a huge bin of poncho liners for $15 each. I negotiated a few for $10 once. I'm very sad they are out of business. One of these days I hope to go to a surplus sale and buy a lot myself.

I originally liked the PLUQ because I made up the no-sew version. That worked pretty well, but it can be a bit drafty. Sewing everything up has really increased the insulation value, but the coldest I've used the sewn-up PLUQ was in the upper 40s. Adding insulation like IX or climashield will make it warmer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast