Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You seem to know what to look for. In a cheap bag, you will probably not get the long lasting quality that a top or middle tier bag would give, but the technology is so advanced today that most any bag from a legitimate outdoor company should be very usable.

I have a Kelty down bag that I have been happy with. I would place this in the middle tier. It has held up well. That said, I have also had a Slumberjack bag that was also a middle tier that self-destructed on it's maiden voyage. It was exchanged for a different bag altogether (Jansport). Many people have been perfectly happy with their Slumberjacks - not meant to discourage purchase of their products if you find a good deal.

In other words, cheap can be fine and serviceable, but any bag may be good or bad. You increase your chances of good with more money is all.

My personal choice of the two you cited, would be the Kelty, based on my complete satisfaction with their products in the past.
    Last edited by lyleb; 11-13-2007 at 12:14.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight w/ring buckles
    Tarp
    MLD cuben fiber
    Insulation
    ZPack, JRB quilts
    To answer your question, one of our scouts has the Coleman bag and is very happy with it. I don't have any personal experience with the Kelty. Both of those are a lot of bag for the money.

Congrats on the new arrival. Plan on not having any extra money for gear for about, oh 18 years or so!

i use a kelty 20* personally and it has served me very well... i'll be looking into DIY down frogsack/wallcreeper next year.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I just bought a quest 20* synthetic bag at ****'s Sporting Goods for 29.99. I tried it out Saturday night and it worked great. The temps got down to 34 and was comfortable,with bag and a car windshield reflector.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    I just bought a quest 20* synthetic bag at ****'s Sporting Goods for 29.99. I tried it out Saturday night and it worked great. The temps got down to 34 and was comfortable,with bag and a car windshield reflector.
    i have 3 friends that bought those for the last group camping trip. they liked them but on of them had the stuff sack fail the first time stuffing it.

Images
    You might consider going to an REI used gear sale. I've picked up some incredible bargains that way. Our local store holds one monthly. The last one I was at I saw someone get a down mummy bag for under $50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12