Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Sleeping Bag Search - Cheap but Decent

New to hammock camping - hoping to get a started hammock for Christmas before I venture into the DIY area.

I'm looking for a cheap but decent sleeping bag for backpacking/camping. I'm on an extremely limited budget and I won't be going for extreme temps - figure early spring through late fall in PA.

Looking on the campmor site, I found these two bags and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the specific bags or similar bags by the same company.

1. Kelty Cosmic 35° Thermolite® Quallo Mummy Sleeping Bag

2. Coleman Exponent Grey Fox 20° Quallofil Mummy Sleeping Bag

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'm a big fan of down so I'm gonna suggest the Campmor 20* down bag. Yes, costs more than the ones you are looking at but I have heard nothing but good things about it. It's also lighter than the bags you are looking at. You see the Campmor bag for sale used occasionally.

just my .02
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Also if you plan to camp for a long time the down will last you MUCH longer like many times longer...

Being cheaper per year...
    So many projects, So little time....

Images
    You can't beat down - it packs smaller and is lighter for more loft and insulation than synthetic...but it cost more and if it gets wet it is useless. but if you can afford the down get it, overall you'll be happier.

In the case of any sleeping bag, you want to avoid the ones with sewn through baffles. Most quality bags, down or sythetic, will be made with offset baffles so that there are no sewn through seams that would allow air to penatrate. But be sure to check it becasue I've seen some pricy down vests that have sewn through seams making them virtually worthless

Images
    IF synthetic gets wet its still practically useless. Any bag that's wet is is cold, it doesn't matter what its made of, because you're trying to dry the bag by evaporating the water with your body heat... trust me I've been there... Don't kid yourself that you can stay warm in a wet synthetic bag, you can't.

Besides down is much harder to wet than most realize. Even when put in a tub full of water for washing...

Will second not getting a sewn through bag though.

Images
    I had looked at (and really liked) the Campmor down bag you guys mentioned. Unfortunately, my budget really won't allow for that right now. With a new baby and the resultant loss of my wife's paycheck, even $50 for a bag is a lot. I know neither bag I listed would be considered good quality, but it would let me get out and about sooner, rather than waiting until a better $100+ bag is an option.

Images
    Fair enough sometimes its just not feasible...

I spent less than $150, 12 years ago on a down bag and its still going strong...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Congrats on the new baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to DIY a hammock crib.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cybrus View Post
    I had looked at (and really liked) the Campmor down bag you guys mentioned. Unfortunately, my budget really won't allow for that right now. With a new baby and the resultant loss of my wife's paycheck, even $50 for a bag is a lot. I know neither bag I listed would be considered good quality, but it would let me get out and about sooner, rather than waiting until a better $100+ bag is an option.
    kmart and walmart have inexpensive synthetic bags. I bought one for $17 at walmart a few years ago because it was wider than most bags and I needed the width. a $10 fleece insert can be used for more warmth in early spring or late fall, otherwise it works great by itself.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Congrats on the new baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to DIY a hammock crib.
    Thanks! He's just about 4 months old and is doing his best to see how little sleep I can function with.

DIY crib hammock - interesting concept. Would think one of the little gear hammocks would work, or something that could hang off of the ridgeline inside my own hammock...

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    kmart and walmart have inexpensive synthetic bags. I bought one for $17 at walmart a few years ago because it was wider than most bags and I needed the width. a $10 fleece insert can be used for more warmth in early spring or late fall, otherwise it works great by itself.
    Maybe I'll give those a shot. I have a few fleece liners already so that definitely fits the budget requirement!

I can't wait until I can actually afford a quality down mummy bag for me and for my wife. But for now, at least I'll be able to get out and about!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast