Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies

How to attach a Mount Washington 4 to a Blackbird?

I recently acquired a Warbonnet Blackbird and soon after a Mount Washington 4 under quilt and a High Sierra Sniveler over quilt.

Last weekend was my first use of them in the wild. Saturday night it dipped to 20 deg's. I was mostly comfortable but I'm not sure I have the under quilt installed correctly. Does any one know of a good video showing where and how to attach a MW4 to a Blackbird? The directions didn't help me much.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    you need that monster snug to the hammock. The JRB suspension can be done in a prussik knot (wrapped 4-6 times) at each end.

I had CBS until I realized how snug this quilt needs to be to the hammock.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Where do I put the feet cords? When I stick my feet in the blackbird footbox the quilt shifts the other way. Should it go around the footbox somehow?

There are also 2 loops, each about a third of the way from each end on each side of the quilt. What are those for?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    There are also 2 loops, each about a third of the way from each end on each side of the quilt. What are those for?
    These loops are for people with Hennessy hammocks. Tie outs go through loops.

Where do I put the feet cords? When I stick my feet in the blackbird footbox the quilt shifts the other way. Should it go around the footbox somehow? ?
    No. You'll want to experiment snugging the UQ tight like Raul says (lifting the hammock up until you get in it.) Since it's differentail cut won't matter how tight. Othes have mentioned this problem with full length underquilts. There are options. I sewed a loop at foot end of my MW4. Then sewed a stretchy cord and cord lock to footbox on the grosgrain hem to attach UQ to footbox to keep it from slipping. Did this on other side as well at shoulder point. Others have posted better ways to do it, but I don't have links on those.

Paul at ArrowHead Equipment sells triangle things to help prevent shoulder and footbox slip. Here is link talking about them. There are other remedies posted on here as well if you search under shoulder slip.

It's a great quilt, just need to experiment until you find the method that works for you.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 10-06-2010 at 10:55.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Images
    Where do I put the feet cords? When I stick my feet in the blackbird footbox the quilt shifts the other way. Should it go around the footbox somehow?

I have not used the MW4 more than a few times with the WBBB, but I had a similar problem at first. If memory serves, I "biased" the JRB foot end suspension so that it was hung a bit more to the right. Dang, it is hard to put into words. Anyway, I figured out a way to make it pull more to the right, rather than exactly centered. After that, it stayed put nicely and was very warm on a very windy 18*F night. I think that if you look at my MW4 review- in the HF review section- you can find more detail about what I did.

P.S.
    Here you go:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6377

Look at post #8 and 9. But caution: as I read these old post again, it occurs to me I reversed the words "left" and "right" a couple of times. So if I mention biasing to the left on the foot end, I mean "right", or the normal foot side as you lay on the diagonal. I wish I could do better at putting it into words. I just find a way to larks head the suspension so that is pulling more to the foot end's right side. Since I can't describe this well, I suggest just playing around with it, experimenting when it is not way cold.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-06-2010 at 12:59.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The WBBB like a HH sleeps diagonally, but unlike a HH lacks the foot and shoulder tie outs that the JRB quilt ladder loops align with... No issue because the JRB quilts fit equally well without them, just as the fit Speer or ENO hammocks etc.

That said, those that want to ensure there is no shifting of the UQ can ad a tab with a nmitten hood or micro biner at the appropriate edge of the WBBB, Speer, ENO etc od use an elastic over the top from the foot quilt loop to the shoulder loop.

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Thanks BB58, my experience was similar to your initial impression the first 2 nights I felt the quilt wasn't doing as well as it should fortunately by the third night, which incidentally the temp that night dropped below 20, I had it mostly figured out. Other than it moving around on me a bit and not being quite as warm as I thought it should be. I do move a lot, so I'm not blaming the quilt. That thing is crazy warm when it's lined up right.

As it's my first underquilt and I only recently got the blackbird I thought I'd ask around to get a jump on the learning curve.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    This is my hookup.

If it was really cold and I wanted to make sure the footbox stayed inside, I'd run a bungy from the tab you can see, over the top of the net to the tab on the other side and snug it up.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I recently acquired a Warbonnet Blackbird and soon after a Mount Washington 4 under quilt and a High Sierra Sniveler over quilt.

Last weekend was my first use of them in the wild. Saturday night it dipped to 20 deg's. I was mostly comfortable but I'm not sure I have the under quilt installed correctly. Does any one know of a good video showing where and how to attach a MW4 to a Blackbird? The directions didn't help me much.
    Step 1: Send it to Lonley Raven

Step 2: Wait for him to use it (for a few years)

Step 3: ????

Step 4 Profit!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    There's a problem with full UQs in general, that defies a good solution: the hammock and quilt are suspended on one axis, and the diagonal sleeper is on another. You can pull the quilt to the right, or you can pull it to the left, and it will pretty much stay where you put it. But pulling one way for the foot end, and the other way for the head end (zig zag)...there's the rub. It deforms the quilt slightly, making for a loss of efficiency, and the suspension immediately begins trying to straighten out the zig zag. When that happens, cold shoulder, cold feet, or both.

This is very much a work in progress for me.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast