WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I used strapworks, and made my own digital camo straps. Just sewed some loops on the end and called it a day.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    I used strapworks, and made my own digital camo straps. Just sewed some loops on the end and called it a day.
    Did you just roll up some fabric and sew it? What was the starting width of the fabric and the finished width? I've been considering doing this but have some concerns about abrasion resistance and how well it would handle a marlin spike hitch. How much do they weigh?

I'll stop asking questions if you would kindly describe for us what you've done...

Edit: Never mind... I thought you meant you started with digital camo ripstop. Now I see strapworks sells digital camo polyester webbing. Anyone out there ever sew your own tree straps from fabric?
    Last edited by necaver; 03-01-2012 at 09:27. Reason: see above

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    Did you just roll up some fabric and sew it? What was the starting width of the fabric and the finished width? I've been considering doing this but have some concerns about abrasion resistance and how well it would handle a marlin spike hitch. How much do they weigh?

I'll stop asking questions if you would kindly describe for us what you've done...

Edit: Never mind... I thought you meant you started with digital camo ripstop. Now I see strapworks sells digital camo polyester webbing. Anyone out there ever sew your own tree straps from fabric?
    I've never seen or heard of a "fabric" tree strap, but I suppose with a strong enough material, It could work, but that material would be way too expensive IMHO. Your garden variety ripstop isn't strong enough to function as a tree strap.

You can get the webbing material from Harbor Freight if you pirate it from their ratchet straps...less than $5.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

I've never seen or heard of a "fabric" tree strap, but I suppose with a strong enough material, It could work, but that material would be way too expensive IMHO. Your garden variety ripstop isn't strong enough to function as a tree strap.

You can get the webbing material from Harbor Freight if you pirate it from their ratchet straps...less than $5.

+1 sew a hole big enough to feed the strap into on both ends of each strap and you're rockin' and rollin'.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Actually I only put a hole big enough to run the strap through on one end. If you are using a marlin spike hitch you don't need two holes. If you are using a Dutch style set up a very small hole big enough to run your cord through is all you need.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Actually I only put a hole big enough to run the strap through on one end. If you are using a marlin spike hitch you don't need two holes. If you are using a Dutch style set up a very small hole big enough to run your cord through is all you need.
    I actually think my first set came like that, that I'd bought from a vendor. But the advantage that really came in handy for a me a few times was when I needed longer straps than I had, I just thread them through eachother, no knots and completely secure. You could make it work tying them together if you had to, but this was simple and easy and the most secure for me.

Sorry should've mentioned that's why I carry a couple extra straps, as well. Really no function if you don't.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I carry a 6' piece of dynaglide for that - eyes on both ends.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

I have plenty of polyester webbing, I'm just always interested in any innovations people are trying that improve performance or save weight. Military grade 1.1 oz uncoated ripstop nylon has a typical tensile strength of 42 lbs. if I took an 18 inch wide, 6 foot length, rolled it into a 1" width and sewed it would I get 750 lb breaking strength? But even if I did it would probably have abrasion issues, stretch more than polyester, and have questionable knot performance, plus it would weigh 1.1 oz providing little weight savings over ratchet straps. Probably not worth the effort. Cuben would provide weight savings, but still have abrasion and performance issues. Plus it would be expensive for a piece of gear that might get all covered with tree sap and need replacing.

My lightest acceptable option so far is 1/2" muletape, with 6' weighing in around 0.8 oz. But I'm always on the lookout for anyone who's found a better option.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Bootleg or anyone: Do you have an on-line source for 1/2 inch mule tape? Thanks!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Bootleg or anyone: Do you have an on-line source for 1/2 inch mule tape? Thanks!
    Not sure what size it is, thought it was a little wider than 1/2", but my on-line source is JohnSawyer. He usually has some, or can get his hands on it.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast