Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by golfpro1286 View Post
    Stupid question... I got the all in one system with the 6' sling and 8' hugger. If I have a tree that is only a few feet round, what is the best way to hook it up to prevent sliding? I have been just wrapping it multiple times around the tree... Just wondering if anyone has any clever tricks that I don't know about
    One trick that works if there is some purchase on the tree is to wrap the threaded loop back around the tree and then pull back on the strap to tighten. (Confused? The load is born on the eye loop, so you are cinching.)

Granted the hugger or attached may now be coming off from the side of the tree, which offends some sensibilities and centering of the ridgeline over the middle line of the hammock.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    I use polly tiedowns. I think the working load is like 300lbs but im not sure
    Please read the fine print. "Working loads" are various multiples of the breaking strength. Often, the breaking strength is also given. The (inverse) multiple may be 5 on those tie-downs, in which case: there's a larger safety margin.

Also abbreviations are OK until you don't know whether you have polyester or polypropylene. Having seen polypropylene rope degrade in use and exposure, I'd be careful. It is likey that such as Clark Junglehammocks have carefully spec'd the polypropylene they use in their (wider than normal) huggers / straps, but you shouldn't trust it unless you inspect if for degradation.

There's no underestimating the value of the research and specification of such as Warbonnetguy, Paul at Arrowhead, and Jacks in choosing among suppliers of strapping.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-18-2012 at 10:18.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    I use these, and just cut off the buckles. They already have loops. Kind of long, but like boy scout motto "always be prepared". I hung in a picnic shelter from the rafters made of 6' round timbers, shorter straps would not have worked.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-...aps-67386.html
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Straps Material

It seems to me that we'd want wide nylon straps for the hammock suspension because it stretches and conforms somewhat to the tree and allows for the angle of attack of the load, distributing weight more evenly along stretched-out and pliable surfaces. A non-flexing strap carries weight only on the outside, up-tree edge of the strap, defeating the purpose of width at the load-bearing point.

Some spring in the suspension might also be desired, which nylon provides.

Contrariwise, on a tarp ridge line the load is perpendicular to the tree and evenly distributed over the entire width of the strap; and we would not necessarily want it to stretch in that application.

So, using that rationale I ordered wide nylon straps from Hammock Bliss, 6' long, and for the tarp ridge line 1" x 4' polyester straps from: http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks...ling_s/174.htm, where you can build your own. Wish I had found Strapworks earlier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456