Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images

Tarp Comparisons

I have attached an Excel spreadsheet containing tarp information from manufacturers' websites. For the most part, the manufacturers are those included in the list on this forum. (I will be happy to add any manufacturer not included if someone will point me to the relevant site.) I did not attempt to include every tarp in a manufacturer's product line, but rather only a representative sample, with a particular focus on ridgelines 11' and longer. When the material was not specifically stated by the manufacturer, I left that field blank; although, it is probably silnylon except maybe for two of the DD Hammocks.

There are a number of reasons why the information in this spreadsheet might not be that useful. First, I did not attempt to include columns for every important feature or option, e.g., the number of tie-outs is not included. Second, square-foot calculations are somewhat overstated for, e.g., hex and cat cut styles. Third, old timers - I mean *experienced hangers* - probably know all of this information in their gut already. And, some other reasons in addition. But maybe it will be of some use to newbies.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by El Gordo; 12-15-2014 at 08:42.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Thanks for sharing, that would be a handy reference or guide for buyers. Agreed, basic dimensions don't give the whole story. I've been developing a pattern for a winter tarp I'm planning in cuben. As part of my planning I did some measured drawings and collected some other stats on every tarp I had and a few that belonged to friends. It was a fun project but in the end I needed to set up in the yard to see how each tarp compared. Something that I began to look at was the slope from the guyout to the end of the ridgeline, steep slopes like the Superfly were near 3 inches of rise over run while shallower Maccats just slightly over 1 inch. Looking at this slope became important to me as I was deciding on how to dimension and shaped the doors. Then I started obsessing about the area of the doors. As I say it was fun drawing and comparing stats but in the end it was a much more practical hands on comparison that helped me make my decisions about the pattern. Which, by the way, is a blend of the HG Winter Palace and the Warbonnet Superfly.

David

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    You did not name which Arrowhead tarp you measured. Was it the Toxoway or the Shangri-la?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang72 View Post
    You did not name which Arrowhead tarp you measured. Was it the Toxoway or the Shangri-la?
    I must have stared at that a dozen times! It is the Toxaway. I have updated the spreadsheet to show that, and added the Shangri La for good measure.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

• + New Posts