Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

DIY Bug Net

I have promised to make two of my friends hammocks for an upcoming adventure in Hawaii. They say that bugs are quite a problem and it is hard to enjoy the outdoors where we will be because of the amount of bugs.

I want to keep this on the cheap - I know that many people use tulle - I am willing to give it a shot. I have some experience with bug nets, I sewed one into my DIY gathered end with a zipper - i am not wiling to do that again

What about sock bug nets? Is a 54 width piece sewed to another 54 in piece giving an approx 104 inch circumference enough to hang over a ridgeline and have enough room to lay on the diagonal?

I would plan on having a strip of velcro right in the middle. what do you guys think?

thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    That's more than enough, in fact, two 48" pieces would get trimmed if it were me. Although for speed, 96" will work fine, just a little long.

80-84" is optimal "tube" for the way I hang.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    PS. velcro sticks to bug net like they were made for each other. Don't know about tulle.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Asym
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx,Siltarp2
    Insulation
    down,above & below
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    I have promised to make two of my friends hammocks for an upcoming adventure in Hawaii. They say that bugs are quite a problem and it is hard to enjoy the outdoors where we will be because of the amount of bugs.
    That all depends on exactly where you go. Hawai'i has far fewer bugs than anywhere I've ever lived, and seldom any that bite or get annoying. However, get too near a stock pond or somebody's water catchment and there can suddenly be a surprise cloud of mosquitoes.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I made one out of white Organza I found at Wal-mart. It's really fine mesh. I sprayed it with some black fabric dye.. looks great.

For the bottom, I used some 1.1oz ripstop, it doubles as a bottom weathershield, though it's untested for that...

Mine has a side-zipper, but you could just make a sock.

The permanently attached end could be cut at a 45-to 60-degree angle, depending on the hammock.

Joanne's has mosquito netting that's 75" wide. It made a perfect sock for my son.. a small length of fabric or net would work to extend it...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts