Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

HF Geographics

OK so I tried to add myself to the Google map (didn't work, but that's because I don't know computer stuff very well) and I noticed that the majority of the HF personnel are on the East Coast. I was just wondering if that is do to a demographic and cultural thing or is that just the way it has worked out thus far.

I know for the Subaru forum I am on the majority of us live in the Pacific North West and out of that majority most of them are in the Western side of Washington and Oregon. And yes for us it is a vernacular cultural thing. For some reason subies are now driven by the ex vw/hippie type people or at least have some of that mentality if yourof the younger generation (like me.)

Actually it goes more like this old school subie's owners are more red neck/hillbilly/white trash and the new suby owners (outbacks, foresters, etc) owners are your yuppie, professional, outdoorsy, latte drinking REI clothes wear type people. But it also goes either way in some cases. And yes are weather/climate/terrain and outdoor activism/activities make a suby the perfect car for this area so it is only natural that they are like flies on poo around here. Which is good for me since I am a suby mechanic

So is that somewhat of the case here. Is it because of the tall lodge pole style trees and the very woodsy type forest you guys have over on the east coast vs our huge, scraggly, twisty, knotted and Alpine terrain that we have over here on the west coast which dictates the style of hiking we do. Or it could it just be that it started over there first and is taking it sweet time getting over here. or more then likely OTHER......

Any way just have been pondering it for a few day and figured I would see what you guys have to say about it.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Dang!!!! So that's why I feel like an outsider where I live!

I've got BOTH a "Subie" (on my second one now) and I LOVE hammocks. Only problem is I live right smack in the middle of the US of A. Nowhere near's any of my brethren
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    Ahh! Subie owners in the NW. I get cut off by a subie at least twice a week in P-town. Do you guys have something against the BMW drivers? (I'm a Texas transplant of 3 years)
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverlion View Post
    Ahh! Subie owners in the NW. I get cut off by a subie at least twice a week in P-town. Do you guys have something against the BMW drivers? (I'm a Texas transplant of 3 years)
    Only if they still have Texas plates
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    (tongue in cheek) Silverlion -- Boy, that's a real cryin' shame.
    Strange that I don't seem to get cut off in my FORD 150 while cuttin' though P-town. Perhaps, it's because I look like I might just run someone over, if pushed. Heh heh.

Mugs -- I think our PacNW presence is growing. Think "convert... convert... convert." We've got to get us some more hangers, up here.

To answer the OP, I REALLY want to try hammock camping, but I'm feeling gun shy about it because most of the places that I will be hiking/camping in aren't really great for trees. For example, I'm planning a trip to the Sierra Nevada for next summer and the guy I'm going with loves to be above the treeline, so why bring a hammock? A lot of the coast is also scrubby stuff, with beaches. I could probably hang in the redwoods, except that they're so darn big around.

So, upshot is, I don't know when I'll get that first hammock. It's entirely because of where I live/camp. If I was still back in Minnesota, I'd have already done my first hang by now.

But over the next few trips, I will be eying all our campsites with the thought of whether I could hang a hammock there. Who knows? Maybe I'll eventually decide that it is feasible enough to "go there."

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Bulgron -- IMHO, you need a hammock stand, so you can hang in your yard, at the very least. They are simple to DIY. Shoot, why not make a couple, so you can have some friends over.

Heh heh...

Quote Originally Posted by creativeKayt View Post
    Bulgron -- IMHO, you need a hammock stand, so you can hang in your yard, at the very least. They are simple to DIY. Shoot, why not make a couple, so you can have some friends over.

Heh heh...
    LOL!

Sadly, I have a VERY small backyard. That hammock stand better be something I can take apart and stow in the attic or something...

Don't worry, I'll get around to using a hammock. I still have a buddy in Minnesota who goes camping with his kid. Maybe I'll make a trip back there one of these years to tag along with them. Or maybe I'll find someone to take a road trip with me up to Oregon, or something like that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Senior Developer at our firm is a Subie. He drives one, his wife drives one, his daughter drives one. He is a computer dude through and through, but mention a Subaru and you'll have a difficult time shutting him up.

As to the demographics, you should have been here a couple of years ago. There were like 5 people not on the E Coast and I think 3 of them were in countries other than the US. I think the reason is because this site evolved (on so many levels) from Whiteblaze.net. Since its primary focus is the Appalachian Trail, it follows that a good chunk of those folks lived somewhat close to the AT. So the odds were stacked when HF was born. From there, I think it was just a matter of show and tell. People are a lot more interested seeing a hammock than hearing about one and I think they have a better chance living near a long trail like the AT. JMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7 / HH ULBA / GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    SWT JRB 8x8/Poncho
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Leighs/HHSS
    Suspension
    7/64 and 2mm WS
    Images
    Perhaps it has something to do with this forum branching off of an Appalachian Trail forum. Then all of the east coast guys started converting their friends and it is slowly spreading west and outside of the country.

Edit: It's early.... just realized that Cannibal covered this in his post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast