GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Above Tarp Ridgeline

As I have said . . . I am acquiring my gear slooooowly. So far . . . I have a Speer Winter Tarp. I want to use an above the tarp ridgeline made from amsteel. My thinking on this: Widow makers. I have heard that term mentioned many times. I was in my yard the other day and heard a noise. I looked around and observed a very large limb fall from a tree onto my roof. The leaves were beginning to brown and I think that I would have spotted it if I had been planning on setting up a tarp under it. But . . . I have seen limbs that appeared healthy fall from trees. I have also wondered how you might know a limb is dead in the winter? Anyway, I think an amsteel above the tarp ridgeline may one day may defend me from a falling limb. Any help would be better than none. Sound good? What do you think? My first defense, of course, is careful selection of a hanging site. Also, I would want to stay away from very large trees.

I have watched Shug's video on the subject, but he did not show how the ridgeline was attached to the tree. Do you attach it like you do a hammock with slings, or simply wrap the line itself around the tree?

One last question . . . Was the prusik in his video made of entirely of shock cord?

My progress? I will be reviewing a hammock that is being sent to me by a good friend. If the trial is thumb's up, I will be ordering my hammock next. I am pretty sure my UQ's will be Stormcrow made. I may attempt my own DIY TQ. IF all goes well, I will be equiped and ready to go by early summer 2011.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    You can attach ridgelines to trees with tree straps, but I think most people just wrap the line. There isn't much weight being applies from the tarp, so it's pretty safe to tie it off directly.

To avoid "widow makers" and falling limbs, site selection is key. You're in no worse danger than in a tent, and I imagine the g-string ridgeline will offer some protection, but I imagine it's about the same kind of protection you'd find in shorts of the same name.

I don't know if Shug's prusik is made of shock cord. Seems odd. I would suspect it was something like Lash-it or Zing-it cord.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Shug's over the top ridge line is from whoopies.com and I believe it's armsteel he just wraps around tree one end connected with toggle other is with figure nine then attaches to tarp with toggle hanging from prussic out of same armsteel shock cord is for side pull outs on his winter tarp hope that helps shugs out in the piney woods enjoying hammock slumber

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    Here´s a video about how to attach a ridgeline:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo

I think this works really good and the ridgeline gets very thaught.
    A Siberian Hinch on one side and a Powercinch on the other side.
    Easy to do, easy to take down.

Combine that with prusiks and carabiners to move the tarp on the ridgeline.
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    550 paracord will do, carabiner at one end and figure nine at the other . Make prussiks out of something a bit smaller and your good to go. Eventually i bought one of Opies RL kits with KNotbone and Soft Shackles ,very nice.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    ORR, here is all you need to know:

http://www.whoopieslings.com/Tarp_Lines.html

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/994223

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1203637

There might be more sellers, but those are the ones I know of off the top-o-me-head.

I made some of those Soft Shackle Prussiks last night. It was exactly what I've been looking for to hang my tarp. Light Weight, and won't damage the tarp or stuff sack if I pack it all in to the bag at once. And best of all, quick setup!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old River Rat View Post
    I have watched Shug's video on the subject, but he did not show how the ridgeline was attached to the tree. Do you attach it like you do a hammock with slings, or simply wrap the line itself around the tree?

One last question . . . Was the prusik in his video made of entirely of shock cord?
    Amsteel may or may not .... falling limbs are dodgy. If it makes you feel more secure I would do it. Always look for how a limb may fall ..... and if any doubt set up elsewhere. Other than that ..... we have no control. The woods are never 100% safe.

I did use shock-cord on my Winter Tarp ..... worked well and easier to grab with my digits in the Minnesota winter.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    You can attach ridgelines to trees with tree straps, but I think most people just wrap the line. There isn't much weight being applies from the tarp, so it's pretty safe to tie it off directly.

To avoid "widow makers" and falling limbs, site selection is key. You're in no worse danger than in a tent, and I imagine the g-string ridgeline will offer some protection, but I imagine it's about the same kind of protection you'd find in shorts of the same name.

I don't know if Shug's prusik is made of shock cord. Seems odd. I would suspect it was something like Lash-it or Zing-it cord.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter1969 View Post
    Here´s a video about how to attach a ridgeline:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo

I think this works really good and the ridgeline gets very thaught.
    A Siberian Hinch on one side and a Powercinch on the other side.
    Easy to do, easy to take down.

Combine that with prusiks and carabiners to move the tarp on the ridgeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Amsteel may or may not .... falling limbs are dodgy. If it makes you feel more secure I would do it. Always look for how a limb may fall ..... and if any doubt set up elsewhere. Other than that ..... we have no control. The woods are never 100% safe.

I did use shock-cord on my Winter Tarp ..... worked well and easier to grab with my digits in the Minnesota winter.
    Shug

I like the idea of something strong over my head, even if it only offers the protection suggested by Dejoha.

I think I will use the suggestion offered by Peter1969, it eliminates any weak links by using only the amsteel.

And if I understood Shug correctly, his prusiks were made entirely of shock cord. It keeps the top of his tarp taut.

The Top of His Tarp Taut . . . Say that three times fast.

• + New Posts