Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Images
    My material just came in. I got the nylon taffeta and nylon supplex. The taffeta has a DWR finsh and the supplex is supposed to be WPB. It looks like it would be waterproof. I'll test it out later. The supplex was labeled as seconds with a streak, but I can not see anything wrong with it. I have not weighed them yet. The supplex looks to be a little heavier or at least stiffer than ripstop. For $1.50 and $1.25 a yard, it was hard to go wrong. The only down side to the supplex is the dark purple to plum color.

I am going to put aside my current tarp project and make a hammock and travel pod. I'll post pics when done.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Is the fabric marked "steak error" really heavy or something?. My first order with the same lady was for 4 yards of ripstop nylon (1.1oz DWR) and shipping was 2.25. I also ordered 8 yards of the "steak error" supplex and shipping was $8.10 which makes me think that the fabric may be to heavy.

Images
    Yep It is very, very heavy. Since I have it anyways I made a hammock sock that is uses 9'x85" of fabric. And it weighs a wopping 2 lbs. I am going to try it on a canoe trip Tuesday night and see if I like it and if its worth remakes with lighter material.

If anyone can come up with a use, I could part with some. The taffeta makes a really nice hammock. I am going to spend a couple nights in it to make sure that it holds up and I like it, then order enough to make a couple more hammocks.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    So the taffeta is a lot lighter weight fabric?

Images
    My hammock out of taffeta came to 12 oz, minus the webbing. I am going to make it a little shorter when I figure out just how I want it. It is 5' wide and about 12' long. I am trying out the asym cut and whip it the way Arkwater suggested. You could make one for under 10 oz if you make a standard Speer style 4' wide.

It looks like it will hold up. I set and laid in it and swung around. I didn't notice any problems. I am going to spend a couple nights in it this week. I should be able to tell by then. Arkwater said he made a hammock out of it and likes it. It doesn't have the plastic feel of ripstop. It feels closer to cotton then anything else. It is also going to be a lot more breathable than ripstop. I was thinking that I wouldn't like that in colder weather. But I am going to have my underquilt, pad, and travel pod so I do not think that will be a problem. I'll try to post some pics today.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345