Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

D rings for ring buckles

I was surfing the net and found the following...

http://tinyurl.com/2mxmay

It says that they are a single piece (not welded). I think they would work very well for the ring buckle supports. I will have to test them. (with the mattress under me )

Images
    i'd like to know the load rating - that is a kite building web site so i wonder if they are rated for human load

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    i'd like to know the load rating - that is a kite building web site so i wonder if they are rated for human load
    I doubt they are rated for human load.
    What would be the best way to SAFELY test something like this?
    How do they determine the failure strength of other types of hardware (like the descender rings, etc??

***EDIT***
    I just called the company...They do NOT know the capacity on the rings (not a surprise) but they were able to tell me that the rings are stamped, not welded. If it is stamped and thus one solid piece of metal then the strength SHOULD be fairly high. IMHO
    Last edited by cameronjreed; 11-13-2007 at 12:20. Reason: Talk w/ the company

Images
    I just order 4 of these. I will test them and see how they hold up.
    I will also weigh them in comparison to the descender rings I have.
    I will report back.

Images
    Best way?

Send them to a materials lab and have them do a tensile test on them with an Instrong machine... And pay them a bunch of dollars to do it...

or find an engineering student with access to said machine who could test them for a school project... Cost would be free, but be slower.
    So many projects, So little time....

Images
    what does the supply sell them for? Kites? if so I'd be cautious about depending them to hold a hammock.

does a family member know how to alert us if they don't work and you re unable to tell us yourself?

Images
    what does the supply sell them for? Kites? if so I'd be cautious about depending them to hold a hammock.

does a family member know how to alert us if they don't work and you re unable to tell us yourself?

LOL!!

I always leave emergency contact information with my next of kin AND a neighbor in the event of a serious catastrophe....J/K
    Seriously..I have a full sized mattress that I will put under me before doing any testing with these suckers. Maybe I should wear safety goggles too. (***cameronjreed imagines settling into a hammock, then abruptly falling to the mattress. Phew crisis avert... POW!!! A sharp chunk of shrapnel swings down and removes a chunk of my eyeball with accuracy that would make a surgeon jealous)

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

If we never hear from him again we know not to try them. I hope they do work, they are 1/5th the price of SMD rings which are overbuilt for our purposes. If you have access to a hoist, lift somethng heavy. I can't wait to hear your report.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I'd throw a caliper on there and get the cross section of the ring then check that against the softest aluminum tensile strength in a machinery's handbook(12-63 thousands of lb.s /square inch for cold worked) this doesn't mean that it won't deform-draw-then break, it just means you might get lucky and it not brake in some fantastic instantaneous way
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    LOL!!

I always leave emergency contact information with my next of kin AND a neighbor in the event of a serious catastrophe....J/K
    Seriously..I have a full sized mattress that I will put under me before doing any testing with these suckers. Maybe I should wear safety goggles too. (***cameronjreed imagines settling into a hammock, then abruptly falling to the mattress. Phew crisis avert... POW!!! A sharp chunk of shrapnel swings down and removes a chunk of my eyeball with accuracy that would make a surgeon jealous)
    I think a white bicycle helmet would make for an awesome testing photo that could double for the photo christmas card just add a sprig of holly to the helmet,lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast