Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Member HH Help

Let me first say that I am a newbie. In fact, I am looking to purchase my first hammock and for camping and for various reasons have been drawn to Hennessy. I have watched all the videos, performed many searches here, but have not been able to find satisfactory answers to all of my questions. I was hoping that people here could help.

Keep in mind, that if I buy a HH, it will be under the current promotion and will include the larger Hex Fly. Please consider that with any issues/benefits I might encounter.

Here are the questions:

1) First, how do you set these things up if it is raining? All the videos show the hammock being set up, then the fly done last. Obviously, the hammock would be soaked by then. Any experiences there? I am guessing you could set up the fly temporarily, setup the hammock, and then re-attach the fly???

2) Can you use a closed cell, thermarest, wool blanket, any type of mat or insulation with these without purchasing anything extra? I don’t really want to buy the undercover which costs about the same price as the entire hammock. Price is one of the things attracting me to the HH.

Overall, I can tell you what my goals are for the HH. I want it mostly for summer camping. However, here in Michigan I have been in the UP in the very middle of summer and have still had temps get into the upper 40’s, low 50’s. I am not looking at this for cold weather camping in general, but I need to realistically prepare the temps stated above. If you tell me I don't need any type of lower insulation for those temps, then that is good too.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Brian

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome!

1. Don't attach the fly to the hammock. It will cause many bad words to come from your mouth anyway. Set-up the tarp first and adjust the hammock underneath to fit. JMHO.

2. You can, it just isn't as nice. I just used my HH this weekend with that same set-up. SPE with Walmart blue pads and a fleece bag. It got down to 43 degrees the first night out and I was OK; not warm, but not too cold. A real bag or quilt would have done the trick with no problem.

Good luck and happy hangin. Ask questions; we love to give opinions.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianA View Post
    Let me first say that I am a newbie. In fact, I am looking to purchase my first hammock and for camping and for various reasons have been drawn to Hennessy. I have watched all the videos, performed many searches here, but have not been able to find satisfactory answers to all of my questions. I was hoping that people here could help.

Keep in mind, that if I buy a HH, it will be under the current promotion and will include the larger Hex Fly. Please consider that with any issues/benefits I might encounter.

Here are the questions:

1) First, how do you set these things up if it is raining? All the videos show the hammock being set up, then the fly done last. Obviously, the hammock would be soaked by then. Any experiences there? I am guessing you could set up the fly temporarily, setup the hammock, and then re-attach the fly???

2) Can you use a closed cell, thermarest, wool blanket, any type of mat or insulation with these without purchasing anything extra? I don’t really want to buy the undercover which costs about the same price as the entire hammock. Price is one of the things attracting me to the HH.

Overall, I can tell you what my goals are for the HH. I want it mostly for summer camping. However, here in Michigan I have been in the UP in the very middle of summer and have still had temps get into the upper 40’s, low 50’s. I am not looking at this for cold weather camping in general, but I need to realistically prepare the temps stated above. If you tell me I don't need any type of lower insulation for those temps, then that is good too.

Brian
    Welcome to HF...
    Answer for Question #1:
    IF you have snakeskins the setup goes VERY quickly. No need to have the tarp and hammock separate. One of the pros of own a NON-HH hammock is that fact that you can rig up the rain fly and then get the hammock setup underneath it. I, however, do not have experience with the Hex fly. It may setup differently than the stock asym fly.

Answer for Question #2:
    The answer to this question is still quite elusive, but it comes down to what make you comfortable. Usually your back gets too cold in a hammock at about 60-70 degrees. This is different for everyone. Everyone has their own way of combating this....Underquilts, pads, garlington isulators, etc, etc.
    I would say experiment (safely) with different things to find what works best for you and at what temperature.

Once again...Welcome to HF

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Here are the questions:

Brian
    1. Set the fly up first, independent of the hammock. The hex tarp has a sewn-in ridgeline, so all you're talking about is some cord at each end to tie to the tree. Do and be done with it. Put the tree-hugger 4-6 inches above the point where you attach the tarp.

2. Yes. Most of us find that we like to have a separate underquilt, but there is absolutely no reason you can't use "normal" insulation inside the hammock. You'll want to do something to give you more coverage at the shoulders though than you get with a 20" wide pad.

Pads on the inside can get you into low temps. Lots of ways of doing it, lots of posts in these forums about it.

Welcome.

Grizz

Images
    Like others have suggested experiment in a safe place (backyard?) to see what works for you.

Having tried my existing camp pad (Thermarest) in a hammock I know its not what I'm going to use in the long run... Its not as comfortable as lying in the hammock. Sure its still better than the ground though.
    So many projects, So little time....

Thanks all, I appreciate the quick feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Like others have suggested experiment in a safe place (backyard?) to see what works for you.
    The reason I was asking is I am trying to find out what I am getting myself into One of the things that attract me to the HH is the price. If I basically have to double that price by buying the underpad it might sway my opinion towards something else, like a Clark.

I realize whatever I get will require experimenting. I am just trying to get all my facts together to make up my mind on what to buy.

Images
    Ah... OK... In that case go out, and buy some cheap fabric to make a quick hammock so you can see how it feels with a pad. You should be able to do it for about $10.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Thanks all, I appreciate the quick feedback.

The reason I was asking is I am trying to find out what I am getting myself into One of the things that attract me to the HH is the price. If I basically have to double that price by buying the underpad it might sway my opinion towards something else, like a Clark.

I realize whatever I get will require experimenting. I am just trying to get all my facts together to make up my mind on what to buy.
    You dont need the Hennessy undercover and underpad although a few here like them. You can get buy just fine with closed cell pad(s). This item is very popular when using pads www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    With the Clark, you'll still have to have a under insulation strategy.
    Check this site out to help in your hammock hangin initiation www.tothewoods.net
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Welcome to HF

For a long time after I got my HH, I couldn't afford an underquilt. I used ccf pads mostly. I used either a Ridgerest or a Blue Walmart pad for a while. Since I sleep on my side, my butt and opposite side elbow tend to go past the width of the pads, so I would just add something under me in those areas and eventually, I added some smaller pieces of ccf pad in those areas, which can double as a sit or stand pad.
    You could always try a regular ccf pad with a shorter piece for just your torso area added for extra warmth if you need to as well.

Fleece jackets and pants really help too.

Enjoy your HH ! Happy hanging !!
    Perkolady

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Attach the fly to the trees, not the hammock's ridgeline. That way you can put it up first, then the hammock.

For the temps you describe, a CCF pad and summer bag will work fine. I might recommend the Oware pad for extra coverage and sufficient but not excessive thickness. I was glad I had one with me on my last hike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast