WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie

Can my Kelty Noah's Tarp 9 be saved?

I had to cut a solo camping/hunting trip short due to a change in the weather this week. Some rain and high winds that weren't in the forecast before I left had me cutting my trip short and returning home.

Anyway, the first night of my camp out, I set up my ENO DoubleNest and KAQ New River UQ and hopped in to do some reading before sleeping. Pretty soon, I felt some raindrops. I got up and pitched my Noah's Tarp 9.

I've had the tarp a long time and haven't used it in the rain in years. When I bought my hammock a little while back, I pulled the tarp out of storage to do some sleep trials in the back yard. I noticed it was sticking to itself when I unfolded it.

Anyway, the rain got heavier and I just smiled and enjoyed my book with the light of my headlamp. Then, a big drop of water hit me in the forehead. Then another in the neck. I looked up to see there were a few large (1ft square) areas of the tarp where water was seeping through.

Noah's Tarps are made of coated polyester. Kelty describes the material as "75D 190T 450mm PU polyester taffeta." The coating must have become damaged or compromised in some way. Is there any way to restore the water repellancy to this tarp? I already have an OES MacCat Deluxe on order, but would like to hang on to the Noah's Tarp 9. (I also have a 12' version. I'm going to pull it out and check it to see if it has developed the same problem.)

Do you know if there's a product I could use to re-coat the tarp? I sent an e-mail to Kelty asking the same question and I'm waiting for their response. I thought maybe someone at HF would have some information on this type of fabric and coating.

Thanks for any info,
    desmobob

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You can try the spray silicone, or mix up some mineral spirits and 100% silicone, and slather that on. Let dry for a day and test.

Are you sure it was dripping thru the tarp or running down the ridgeline?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    You can try the spray silicone, or mix up some mineral spirits and 100% silicone, and slather that on. Let dry for a day and test.
    Spray silicone was my first thought but I didn't know if the solvents would damage the urethane coating already on the tarp (same concern for the mineral sprits).

Are you sure it was dripping thru the tarp or running down the ridgeline?
    Unfortunately, the tarp was dripping through. I had a fairly wide pitch (maybe 90 deg at the ridge?) and water was coming through in three different large patches; two of them well away from the ridge line, and dripping straight off, not running down the inside of the tarp.

Since I don't have much to lose, I guess I should try the silicone spray. I have at least two different brands in the workshop.

Thanks,
    desmobob

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is not good in the woods...
    I agree with Gargoyle .....
    Good luck ...
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Good luck ...
    Thanks Shug! I should take this opportunity to say I sure do appreciate all the effort you put into your excellent videos. It's nice of you to offer up your experience to help others! The vids are informative and very entertaining. I believe in Karma, and since you've done so much to help others, I bet coyotes probably won't eat you on a camping trip.

Anyway, I was poking around the 'net and I think I found what I need. It's a McNett product called "TentSure." It's a water-based urethane product. Perfect!

Thanks again,
    desmobob

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I have had a few things (of considerable age) suffer from delamination of the urethane/waterproofing layers.. 2 backpacks, a couple of stuff-type sacks...maybe just time and oxygen breakdown? KM

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    I have had a few things (of considerable age) suffer from delamination of the urethane/waterproofing layers.. 2 backpacks, a couple of stuff-type sacks...maybe just time and oxygen breakdown? KM
    You may be right.... I'm still wondering why it failed. I have other older urethane coated poly stuff that is still going strong. And the way the tarp has been used and stored, I really don't see how it could have come in contact with any damaging solvents or chemicals.

The fact that it felt as if it was stuck together when I first took it out of the bag makes me wonder if I had possibly put it away with a couple of wet areas on it, causing the urethane coating to stick to itself after it dried and pull off when I unfolded it.

I think the TentSure will fix it right up, but not without some effort. The instructions say you have to remove the remaining urethane coating with a stiff brush and isopropyl alcohol before putting on the new stuff.

Oh well.... it's better than having to toss it in the trash.

Happy napping,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    You may be right.... I'm still wondering why it failed. I have other older urethane coated poly stuff that is still going strong. And the way the tarp has been used and stored, I really don't see how it could have come in contact with any damaging solvents or chemicals....

I think the TentSure will fix it right up, but not without some effort. The instructions say you have to remove the remaining urethane coating with a stiff brush and isopropyl alcohol before putting on the new stuff.

Oh well.... it's better than having to toss it in the trash.

Happy napping,
    desmobob
    If it was damp when you stored it, the coating may have rotted?
    I'd be careful about how stiff of a brush you used to remove the old coating, and take care of how much urethane you replace it with as you may wind up with a 10lb tarp.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Tarp
    Insulation
    Lynx Winter Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    desmobob, Have you contacted Kelty about it? I find that almost all of the better companies out there usually stand behind their products 100% If you were to let them know that it seemed like a material failure and just what happened I would not be surprised a bit if they would replace it for you. Make sure you do that before you go working on it in case they want you to send it into them for inspection. Give it a go, what have you got to loose.

http://www.kelty.com/t-warranty.aspx

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    I have a small one man "hutchie" tarp from my scouting/venturers days with the same problem.

I figure its a good test run for the diy silicone treatment before I do a full diy tarp.
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast