One-night AT loop?

Hi all,

My wife and I will be making a trip from Florida to the DC area. We plan to stop along the way to enjoy some different scenery. Believe it or not, beaches and beautiful water only goes so far. Anyway, I was thinking maybe we could do one or more walk in/walk out overnights on the AT or some picturesque trail(s) on the drive up route. We don't have a schedule, so we can detour for a good enough opportunity. It would be later this month, and we are Florida sissies now, so 50 is really cold!! HA.

Thanks for your ideas.

Carey

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Later this month you probably won't find a place above 50. If you drive up Interstates 75, 40 and 81 there are any number of top notch overnight treks. Heck, if you choose a spot near Knoxville, I'll even shuttle you with enough notice. Beyond Knoxville there is also Roane Mountain, and Mt Rogers.

Yeah, I was sorta kidding about the temps, but tis true, I can hang in the Everglades in July and not mind a whole lot. Combination of thin blood and the right gear. And realizing it's OK to sweat, it's how we cool off. Hammocks are great for sweaty nights.

I did hang once on the Florida Trail in the Ocala National Forrest and it got to 30 on the park rangers dial one night. Twas a bit chilly as I only had a 3/8ths closed cell pad under me and an old down three season bag rated when new to 30. I thought about going to the ground under my tarp but I held out.

I think we'll be east of Tennessee this trip, but it's not planned out yet.

Thanks for the reply!

Carey

Carey, I suggest the Coosa Backcountry Trail, accessed from Vogel State Park, north of Neels Gap, GA. The trail is 12mi, IIRC, so it can be done in a day, but if you make it an overnighter, you can do a side trip up to the AT and climb Blood Mountain. It you get a late start, you can do the loop CCW, and camp a few miles in, then go up to the AT and camp the next night, then hike back to Vogel the next morning, all down hill.

Thanks Take, that sounds interesting. I hope I can work something out.

Carey

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Yeah, I was sorta kidding about the temps, but tis true, I can hang in the Everglades in July and not mind a whole lot. Combination of thin blood and the right gear. And realizing it's OK to sweat, it's how we cool off. Hammocks are great for sweaty nights.

I did hang once on the Florida Trail in the Ocala National Forrest and it got to 30 on the park rangers dial one night. Twas a bit chilly as I only had a 3/8ths closed cell pad under me and an old down three season bag rated when new to 30. I thought about going to the ground under my tarp but I held out.

I think we'll be east of Tennessee this trip, but it's not planned out yet.

Thanks for the reply!

Carey
    30 on the Florida Trail can feel like 20 up here with the added humidity. I've been in Miami at night in the 50's where it felt like the 30's up here. Still, Roane Mountain and Mt Rogers are not that far from the Interstate. You could do a Mt Sterling loop in the Smokies traveling less than 8 miles from I-40. I can go on and on...

• + New Posts