View Poll Results: Quick Survey of Seriously Interested Participants (Multiple choice, public voting)

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canadian within 3 hours of Toronto

11 26.19%
  • Canadian within 3-5 hours of Toronto

6 14.29%
  • Canadian over 5 hours of Toronto

1 2.38%
  • American within 3 hours of Toronto

5 11.90%
  • American within 3-5 hours of Toronto

7 16.67%
  • American over 5 hours of Toronto

8 19.05%
  • Preference for winter car camping

7 16.67%
  • Preference for 1-2 hour winter hike into site

11 26.19%
  • Preference for 2+ hour winter hike into site

6 14.29%
  • No preference

9 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    plenty of snow here in London....around 60cms and still falling.......you can have some of ours.

dewey

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snipe View Post
    Hey Brian,

Yeah, I know some crown land, that is close to a "road"... it's close to Huntsville, just outside of the boundaries of the park.. but at that time of year, it'll be a snow drift... We'd need four wheel drive, or snowmobiles to get in close to a trail head I suspect...
    Hey Snipe

I know there is lots of crown load around Algonquin Park and to the North of there. I was hoping to find some crown land much further south than that. The challenge with planning a hang is that the hangers in Ontario are spread out. There are hangers in London/Windsor area, cluster around the Kitchener area, several in the Greater Toronto area, a bunch in the Ottawa, Kingston, Cornwall area. Then there are a few hangers further north in areas ranging from Sudbury to Thunder Bay.

So trying to find a spot that is central the largest number of people that are interested in going, is the headache at the moment. Tie that in with the fact, that some would prefer to car camp and others want to hike some distance. Which makes it an even bigger challenge.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Guys, don't worry about me. I am too far away from most of you, so I don't want you to pass up on good spot just because of me.

I want to go, I just recognize that the distance is a real limiting factor.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    uq/pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'll try to show up.
    Last edited by wetface; 12-08-2010 at 10:03.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss... for now
    Tarp
    MEC Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    MEC Kelvin Pad
    Suspension
    Converting to SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Hey Snipe

I know there is lots of crown load around Algonquin Park and to the North of there. I was hoping to find some crown land much further south than that. The challenge with planning a hang is that the hangers in Ontario are spread out. There are hangers in London/Windsor area, cluster around the Kitchener area, several in the Greater Toronto area, a bunch in the Ottawa, Kingston, Cornwall area. Then there are a few hangers further north in areas ranging from Sudbury to Thunder Bay.

So trying to find a spot that is central the largest number of people that are interested in going, is the headache at the moment. Tie that in with the fact, that some would prefer to car camp and others want to hike some distance. Which makes it an even bigger challenge.

Cheers

Brian
    Yeah, I hear ya. I think a car camp hang would likely be the best option, upon further reflection. Seems like it should be more southern too... I'm on board with that plan.

I'm hoping to get a winter UQ made before the hang. I'd really like to attend.. Maybe i'll come even if I have to make a quinzee...

Snipe

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB, Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

Haliburton property

I have logged on to HF in a while I thought i would log in to check the status of the winter hang.

Speaking of crown land or bush lot. I have lot in Haliburton with lots of trees for hanging that could be used for a winter hang.

There is a out house and primative shed on the lot if we could get a propane heater it could be used as a warming hut.

close to haliburton and other cottages

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftrex View Post
    I have logged on to HF in a while I thought i would log in to check the status of the winter hang.

Speaking of crown land or bush lot. I have lot in Haliburton with lots of trees for hanging that could be used for a winter hang.

There is a out house and primative shed on the lot if we could get a propane heater it could be used as a warming hut.

close to haliburton and other cottages
    Hey Jefftrex

Looks like we have the best possible solution to our winter hang location. Haliburton is not all that far from the Toronto area and it should have a decent amount of snow. I take it that the property in question is accessible via a plowed road in winter?

Given the close amount of time to our proposed hang dates, I think we should go with this option for a location.

Anyone else have any input on this site for a hang location?

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB, Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    My property is on Trapper's Trail between Miskwabi lake and Neganee lake. there is a mix of homes and cottages, the road to the property is plowed but the driveway is not. We have never been able to drive into the lot in the winter due to the amount of snow at the road side and leaving the cars on the road would not be good.

Thinking about it now my Haliburton lot my be better as a 3 season hang location. maybe Algonquin would be a better choice and we could get yurt site for a safety shelter and a regular campsite (Mew lake camp ground)

Either that or there is Macgregor Point PP which has Yurts and also Silent Lake PP which has Yurts and is not far from Peterborough which is about 2 -1/2 hours from Toronto.

I suppose we could call a couple of PP and see if we could get a yurt site and ask if we can have a couple of hammocks on the site and see if they will alow that.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftrex View Post
    ... the road to the property is plowed but the driveway is not. We have never been able to drive into the lot in the winter due to the amount of snow at the road side and leaving the cars on the road would not be good.
    That is unfortunate about the winter access to your property in Haliburton, Jefftrex.

I agree that doing a car camping or base camp setup at a provincial park with Yurt access would be good for a first outing. However, I don't want to hijack the trip planning from chardpp. Some people expressed they would prefer to hike some distance to a site and others wanted to car camp.

Whatever we ultimately decide, we need to decide it sooner rather than later. I suspect that most people at this point are busy with holiday events and haven't been checking the forums much.

Cheers

Brian

Is this hang going ahead? Things are kind of dormant here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast