Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B

First night in hammock, freaked out by sound in woods.

I finally got my REI quarter done. My wife knew that I wanted to try hammock camping this year and purchased it months ago a gave it to me yesterday for my birthday. I knew. One night I was on REIs site and seen that it was marked way down and I had a 20% off coupon. I was about to pull the trigger and she told me not to.

I definitely needed to do a test hang. I have two weeks of scout camp and one week of family camp coming up.
    I have a couple of acres in my back yard that I call the campground so my boy and I set it up. I was looking forward to a long slumber.
    So...at 1:30am, a half hour ago I was startled awake by a sound. It sounded like an release of air out of a tire but deeper. I thought at first it was coming from the county garage that is about 100 yards from my property. Some times they work late at night.

I heard this sound probably six times and it had me spooked. I used my phone flash light to try to see what it was. Nothing.The lighting bugs are crazy thick right now. It looks like a fireworks show... but I saw two lights next to each other not blinking. They moved together and bounced up and down a few times. Are those eyes I thought?What the hell is that I thought? Freaked out and half a sleep I wiggled around on my sleeping pad thinking the noise scare it away. Nope I heard it a few more times but closer. I shinned my light thru the bug net again. Nothing but lightning bugs.

So I pull up YouTube on my phone and search "snort in the woods" and open a video of a deer snorting. That's it. Thats the noise. So...I think hanging here I'm going to get mauled by a 10 point buck. Then I heard it again. Still closer. Freaked out more I let out a war cry. Agggghhhhhh...
    Can't believe it...will try to go back to sleep. Will give you my report in morning. It's not secure here in sector seven.

Almost certainly a deer. Did you hear him stomp the ground too? They often do that if they're alarmed.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Ohio? Definitely a deer. We have more deer than people here.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Definitely a bear. Maybe a cougar. I'd never go outside again.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Maybe next time you'll hear THIS!

First time I heard it I was more than a bit rattled. I've spent a fair amount of time in the woods over the years and had not heard it until a few years ago in Harriman State Park, NY. Heard it one time since, and even knowing what it was it still creeped me out a little.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

you'll hear some crazy stuff in the woods. it's all part of the experience! I wear earplugs or try to camp near moving water when possible.

a buddy of mine swears he heard sasquatch once.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Imagine being woken in the middle of the night by this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7sa9evuRvLM

And you thought koala were cuddly, cute little things!

Haha, at first it was hard for me to sleep out there too. I came to love it, though.

I remember someone telling me back on trail that a deers eyes will reflect white but a bears were red.

This was no doubt from someone who had used his red light mode on his headlamp, of course. Anyway I heard some weird noises and got out to look/have a pee and looked up and sure enough saw red eyes and flipped my light off as I continued to pee.
    The 2 seconds of darkness while I held the button to power on the full white light seemed quite a bit longer than normal, but it came on and illuminated a small fawn.

Relief and embarrassment flooded through me as my bladder continued emptying itself

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Never a dull night in the woods! You did good. First rule of survival is when you run into a predator, pull out your smartphone and google what to do! Works every time ))

Folks tend to feel a bit more exposed in a hammock vs a tent at first, but it’ll pass.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    Welcome to the woods. I don't panic unless I hear people talking around me, lol.
    CMoulder, that sound kept me awake many nights growing up, especially after watching those glorious horror movies from the 80s and 90s.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast