Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: down shifting

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    If you think a true quilt is sewed up in several direction's and or shapes. When my grandmother made a quilt it was not sewed staight across or down it was sewed in so many direction's that the down at that time had no where to go but stay in it's own little pocket. When they came out with quilt batting it allowed women to make long runs for side to side or from top to bottom and over time that batting would end up somewhere other than were you want it.

If you have a chance to look at an old quilt and beleive me I have had my chance because every year in Paducah Ky they have the world quilt convention 100's of thousand little blue hair lady's and even younger lady's show up for a week long quilt show. but any how if you look at the older style quilts you will see that they have batting or down sewn in so many direction that it creates a little pocket's all over the quilt and you will never see those move.

All true, but these are classed as "sewn-thru" quilts and not Baffled, which my understanding was that the baffle 'boxes' keep the down lofted away from the needle holes on the surfaces and less warmth gets out along the stitching lines.
    just my .02 lira, Betsy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beamarshall View Post
    All true, but these are classed as "sewn-thru" quilts and not Baffled, which my understanding was that the baffle 'boxes' keep the down lofted away from the needle holes on the surfaces and less warmth gets out along the stitching lines.
    just my .02 lira, Betsy
    that's right. the sewn through type quilts are easier & cheaper but best suited to milder weather.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12