WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing

Hangin' with Flat Henry

This is Flat Henry. He recently went on his first motorcycle/camping trip.

Let's start at the start.

My eight-year-old nephew, Henry, read the Flat Stanley story in school. Henry is my sister's son, and he's a cool, cool little redhead.

He and his classmates sent flat versions of themselves to friends and family members. I got Flat Henry. My brothers didn't.

The idea was that Flat Henry would go everywhere with me for a day. I figured that we should go for a ride.

Flat Henry and I set out from my house after I got him suited up in a riding jacket, gloves and a helmet.

Flat Henry and I got a fairly late start on the day, leaving my house at about 11. We grabbed lunch in Anderson, S.C., then headed to Clemson, where the Tigers were in the process of losing the homecoming game.

I figured that Clemson University would be a good stop on this little adventure since the real Henry's parents met on campus. Check out Flat Henry's shirt, though.

The road up to Tillman Hall (the building with the clock tower) was closed, but this nice deputy had let us park by his cruiser and walk up for a photo. Flat Henry posed with him as a thank you.

We left Clemson and headed up SC 28. Flat Henry really enjoyed the curves.

We stopped for a photo op at the SC/GA line.

Flat Henry wanted to take a dip in the Chattooga River, but neither of us had our swimmin' britches, so we got our riding gear back on and headed up GA 28.

We were headed for NC and a famous -- or maybe infamous -- motorcycle road.

On up GA 28 Flat Henry and I went, right on into North Carolina.

We stayed on NC 28 into Highlands, where we took a quick stop for a pic or two.

We headed out of Highlands on NC 28 toward Franklin.

We stopped at Bridal Veil Falls. It was a bright, sunny day.

Flat Henry climbed up on this sign for a better view. That boy's a caution!

We headed through Franklin on 28. Flat Henry loved the curves, so we didn't stop much.

A spirited run up NC 28 to its end brought us to a well-known motorcycling destination.

We set up camp and headed over the stretch of US 129 that is famous for having 318 curves in 11 miles. It was Flat Henry's first time there. I've been quite a few times before. We had a decent run over the road despite the fact that there were about eleventy billion bikes in the area. I guess that since they were at the store, they weren't out on the road.

Stay tuned, and I'll show you Flat Henry's custom-made hammock,
    Chris

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    Back at the store/campground/motel, Flat Henry and I checked the setup of our camping hammocks.

I slept in my Warbonnet Blackbird.

Flat Henry slept in the Landito Bandito (patent pending ) that I made for him.

So that I could keep Flat Henry safe, we hung our hammocks under the same tarp.

Flat Henry called it an early night, and I hung out at the big fire pit most of the evening.

Flat Henry and I packed up and had breakfast the next morning, then made another run over and back on the 11-mile route.

We zipped right paste the motel/campground/store on the way back by on US 129, headed toward Robbinsville.

Just before we got to the dam at Tapoco, I spied a familiar red Suzuki V-Strom headed the other way, so Flat Henry and I turned around and headed back to the store, where Flat Henry met my friend Kevin.

Even though we both live in SC -- and only about a hundred or so miles apart -- the last time that I had seen Kevin was in July in Darby, Montana when we were at a get-together for another forum that we're on. We rode together to a ghost town on the Saturday of that July weekend. That was part of my 40-day trip to the west coast and most of the way back that is chronicled in a trip report here with the thread title Hangin' With My Motorcycle.

It was great to see Kevin again. After saying goodbye to him and his ridin' buddies from work, Flat Henry and I headed back down 129 to Robbinsville.

Stay tuned,
    Chris

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    you know, 3-d Henry will want to do that stuff too...

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Glad that you and flat Henry had such a great weekend of riding. Love the Landito Bandito, looks very comfortable!!!!!!! Also tell flat Henry that i like his sense of style and choice of wardrobe...............Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is just crazy cool!
    The hammock bandana!
    Henry picked the right uncle for sure!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    Thanks for the comments. I just realized that I never finished this trip report here on HF, so here goes.

Down to Robbinsville Falt Henry and I went. When we got to town, we had to decide which way to go. Cherohala Skyway? Back over to Stecoah and down 28? Because of time concerns, the Stecoah/28 route won out, so we headed toward Stecoah from Robbinsville.

From Stecoah we headed on down NC 28, back down through Franklin and over Buck Creek Road to come out on 64 between Highlands and Cashiers.

We turned toward Cashiers and stopped to take in Rhodes Big View.

Some other folks taking in the view snapped a photo for us.

We stopped for gas in Cashiers.

We headed down NC 107 and made a little detour onto Bull Pen Road. Flat Henry wanted to do a little gravel-road riding. Who was I to argue?

Flat Henry liked the waterfall.

I like this little bridge.

Flat Henry and I turned around at the other end of the bridge and retraced our steps back out to NC 107. We enjoyed the curves back into SC and down to SC 28.

South on 28 took us back through where we had ridden the day before. We stopped in Pendleton this time, though, where Flat Henry got to see the real Henry's grandparents and two of his cousins who were visiting for the day.

From there, it was back to Abbeville, then Flat Henry was mailed back home to Alabama.

I miss him -- and since I was missing the real Henry, as well, I worked in a little trip to se him and his sister -- and those two grownups that they live with -- a few weeks later. Here is the real Henry:

Thanks for riding along with Flat Henry and me.

Chris

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Most epic thread!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Good read but it did leave me just a little flat. (cacking myself up for over 50 years)

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Absolutely fantastic trip report. What a great uncle! Thanks for sharing such an entertaining story. Did Henry get to share your Flat Henry trip report with his classmates?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    What a great idea! I'm glad to see Flat Henry wore his helmet ;O) I need to have someone like that join me on my trips to break up the monotony.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast