Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where are they made?

I was just looking around the hennessy site and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know where they are manufactured at?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
    I was just looking around the hennessy site and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know where they are manufactured at?
    Send them an email inquiry. They will respond with what products are made where.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    they're made in Canada : )
    Debi

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Hennessy is a Canadian company. However, all of my Hennessy products are manufactured in China. There are some Hennessy's made in the US, but they are around $400.00

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The majority of Hennessy's products are made either in China or Vietnam. This is now common for outdoor gear. The only products that Hennessy makes that are made in Canada, or the U.S. are their GSA compliant models for sale to the U.S. Armed Forces. These are substantially more expensive than the "normal" models, and I am sure you would be hard pressed to find any significant differences in quality.

As an example of WHY so much outdoor gear (packs, sleeping bags, tents, etc) are now made overseas is the history of the Serratus line from Mountain Equipment Co-op. The MEC purchased Serratus, a British Columbia manufacturer of outdoor bags in the late 1980's. They used this as the launching point for their own, in house developed products. They had a line of internal frame backpacks and bicycle panniers for several years. Soon, however, the cost of materials and manufacturing in Canada overwhelmed the position as a value brand. Serratus was killed off.

Many over the years complained, extolling the virtues of manufacturing in Canada. As the MEC noted, it was often as much just to get quantity of fabric for each tent imported (the majority of high end fabric mills are now in Asia) as it would to import the complete tent. Thus, they changed focus to design and quality control, and let China and Vietnam take on the chore of sewing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    The majority of Hennessy's products are made either in China or Vietnam. This is now common for outdoor gear. The only products that Hennessy makes that are made in Canada, or the U.S. are their GSA compliant models for sale to the U.S. Armed Forces. These are substantially more expensive than the "normal" models, and I am sure you would be hard pressed to find any significant differences in quality.

As an example of WHY so much outdoor gear (packs, sleeping bags, tents, etc) are now made overseas is the history of the Serratus line from Mountain Equipment Co-op. The MEC purchased Serratus, a British Columbia manufacturer of outdoor bags in the late 1980's. They used this as the launching point for their own, in house developed products. They had a line of internal frame backpacks and bicycle panniers for several years. Soon, however, the cost of materials and manufacturing in Canada overwhelmed the position as a value brand. Serratus was killed off.

Many over the years complained, extolling the virtues of manufacturing in Canada. As the MEC noted, it was often as much just to get quantity of fabric for each tent imported (the majority of high end fabric mills are now in Asia) as it would to import the complete tent. Thus, they changed focus to design and quality control, and let China and Vietnam take on the chore of sewing.
    Although the above is a piece of the market history manufacture's, modern manufacturers ,( not just outdoor gear),have been going to Asia for cheap labor ever since the end of WWII when The US,Britain,Germany, Russia, went into Japan , (when the country was crushed),and used the existing craft guilds/factories, to make crap and sell it in their respective countries. It was a quality control issue ( not what the Japanese normally did), and the beginning of mass marketing of crap, consumerism by a new growing suburban middle class that got us to where we are today. When something is made in asia its all about the quality control by the parent company and has nothing necessarily to do with the country where stuff is being manufactured.
    Even when you find something made in Canada or made in the USA quite often its assembled here but made elsewhere. Even Harley's are made/assembled in the US but with some parts made in Asia. Personally i try to buy stuff from small cottage industries, locally if i can but then anywhere after that .
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hmm, near as I can tell from their website Eno's are made not far from here in the appalations. I guess I did right by accident on this purchase, at the time I didn't consider where it was made. I try to avoid stuff made in china, and the like, but I've never been religious about it.

Though, if I had it to do over I wouldn't buy one at all, I'm just as pleased the one I made as the one from eno, it's not as pretty, but I've never been one to put a lot of importance in that. It is functionally equal, perhaps a bit better actually.

Actually, I do have it to do over, I think I'm going to make an insulated hammock at some point. Though I'm first going to try out an under quilt and/or something like the pea pod....

Thanks for the info, and If someone from eno is here, thanks for keeping it local. If I got that right.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
    Hmm, near as I can tell from their website Eno's are made not far from here in the appalations.
    I highly doubt it. Although I can't remember the specifics, but I think mine were made in Vietnam.

In fact, I suspect, that TTTM, ENO, and GT's are made in the same factory over there. Some of those vendors are members here, and I don't mean to offend, because they are all good products manufactured in southeast Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I highly doubt it. Although I can't remember the specifics, but I think mine were made in Vietnam.

In fact, I suspect, that TTTM, ENO, and GT's are made in the same factory over there. Some of those vendors are members here, and I don't mean to offend, because they are all good products manufactured in southeast Asia.
    Hmm, I hope not, but if not, it's too late now. I just sent an email off to them inquiring about it.

I like my Eno well enough, but purchasing other than American made products has many problems, particularly from places like SE Asia.

Moral/ethical, lack of support for American industry.... and such.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images

Buy local, if at all possible.

Being Canadian I looked at the Hennessy as its sold in my own backyard, but know its manufactured over seas. Due to overwhelmingly popular comments, I bought a Warbonnet Blackbird, that I am absolutely sure is made in North America. As A side note, I love it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast