Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

More on comfort and warmth

I spent two cool nights this weekend feeling cooler than I like with an outside temp of around 60°. Remember, I sleep very cool (I use a medium-light blanket even indoors during the summer), but I was determined to make do with the minimum of protection. I had my SBSBUQ, with which I still have not mastered the suspension, but I only had a fleece mummy liner as a TQ. The second night I added a WalMart foam pad between the UQ and the hammock. I would like to say that it helped, but I was still cool.

As I gave it all some thought, I began to question if it was really the minimal covering on top or the bottom. I feel the UQ was reasonably snug, if not perfect. Still I woke up 4-5 times during the night feeling cool, especially on my legs and my shoulders. At one point on the second night, I felt as if I was chilled and slightly damp on my back. I am not one to often sweat heavily when I sleep. But I assume this was because the pad was acting as a vapor barrier.

Another question I have is how do you with a integrated bug screen adjust the UQ on the side opposite the zipper? I think it may have been a little low there (where my shoulders are) and that this may have also contributed to my less than snug experience. Suggestions are welcome.

On the other hand, I found that I was fairly comfortable with the hammock. I would say that with 3 nights in a hammock, I have slept in slightly greater comfort than while on the ground. However, I am sure that with some guidance and ideas I can improve this experience.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post

Another question I have is how do you with a integrated bug screen adjust the UQ on the side opposite the zipper? I think it may have been a little low there (where my shoulders are) and that this may have also contributed to my less than snug experience. Suggestions are welcome.
    run a line over top of the bug net between the edges of the UQ - to adjust grab line through the bug net and tug or stick your hand out of the zippered side, grab the line and tug - a small loop of shock cord on one end or the other of the line helps keep the line snug

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Looking at your other thread of the underquilt. You cannot have air gaps at the ends at all. The air that you body heats up will escape too fast. Need to maybe sew a channel in the ends and add some shock card and cord locks to tighten that up.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    Considering where you live (Florida coast), you have higher humidity than hangers from some areas and are acclimated to higher temps. Both of those contribute to your imperfect situation.

For using a foam pad, you may need a double layer hammock, or to have the pad on top of the hammock fabric with some fleece between you and the foam to help let some of the moisture escape. I use thin foam (1/8 inch) which is much more flexible and I sleep in synthetic, not cotton clothing, which helps with the moisture but my relative humidity here is still much lower than yours.

Using an UQ to hold a stiff foam pad does not sound good to me.

• + New Posts