Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newlease View Post
    I'm just researching now for UQ's. Why would you not want down, if you don't mind saying?
    He is just saying that he doesn't want down between his body and the hammock fabric, because it gets crushed and useless. Down underneath you below the hammock fabric in an UQ is still

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My guess is that Law Dawg doesn't want to risk getting a down quilt wet. Down gear inside the hammock doesn't tend to worry a person quite as much, but there is some anxiety about down hanging on the outside of the hammock. Must take care.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by newlease View Post
    I'm just researching now for UQ's. Why would you not want down, if you don't mind saying?
    I will be long traveling on a pavement/dirt road motorcycle with it and like the ability of synthetic to dry faster and insulate better while wet. Weight will not be a big issue because I will not be carrying it on my back. I have used quality down sleeping bags for years (only recently going to PrimaLoft) and, outside of wet, they really are the best. Cannibal nailed it, just the thought of a down TQ makes me feel all warm & fuzzy. The thought of down outside my hammock makes me feel damp and cold (from long experience...on the ground).

That said, outdoor equipment manufacturing has changed much since Fred Flintstone and I were on the same bowling league. Maybe the UQ covers allow better loft while keeping the down drier...I dunno. If wet is not an issue, go with down everytime.

Images
    well, i will say that down underquilts have been the norm for a few years now, and while i'm sure folks do take some extra precautions (bigger tarp perhaps, and being careful in general), it doesn't seem like (to me) that we're hearing any stories of problems with the uq's getting wet and not doing it's job, so i'd say that it can't be too hard to keep them dry otherwise you'd be hearing about it here (which doesn't seem to be the case)

quilt sale will be on for a few more weeks, i have run out of winter longs, but should be filling more soon

I received my Yeti yesterday and slept in it last night. What a wonderful piece of equipment. I also threw up the new Bigmamma tarp and although it only sprinkled a little, it worked well.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    I agree Brandon, it would be hard to completely soak the UQ with the right tarp setup. I guess the only way my UQ would get soaked was if I had an accident...

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    I also threw up and although it only sprinkled a little, it worked well.
    Eeeeewe!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    We also offer a deluxe version that has 3 snaps along each long side so you can snap on a removeable liner. The liner is both heat reflective and a vapor barrier, and should be good for an additional 5-10 deg. temperature boost beyond the stated rating of the underquilt when attached. The shell of the Yeti is black dwr. (durable water resistant finish).
    From the WB site UQ section. What is this removable liner and where does it go? Between the UQ and hammock or outside the UQ? I can see the dwr would be helpful when coupled with a liner. Now all I ask is a full length or near that. Down UQ and TQ would be very comfy indeed and it sounds like I am making a tempest in a teapot over the wet issue.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    From the WB site UQ section. What is this removable liner and where does it go? Between the UQ and hammock or outside the UQ? I can see the dwr would be helpful when coupled with a liner. Now all I ask is a full length or near that. Down UQ and TQ would be very comfy indeed and it sounds like I am making a tempest in a teapot over the wet issue.
    I had the Yeti with a liner. The liner was blue/silver and snapped in *between* the Yeti and the bottom of your hammock.

I never used the liner as I got a full length quilt in trade for the Yeti, as a full length suits the way I sleep better. The Yeti is an excellent product though and kept me warm for the night or two that I did use it.

Images
    liners were discontinued, forgot to update that section of the text...thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234