Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    For a scheme to be successful, have ready-to-adapt tactics or you will end up spending your hammock budget on bouquets and meals at places that have a dress code.
    Oddly enough, the Missus has asked me to skip the bouquets and meals, and bolster up the life insurance policy instead--she also wants me to find out where a person can get a hold of some arsenic, but I don't really see what the one thing has to do with the other .

Because the lubricant was water soluble I just used water, but as JohnSawyer forewarned, my garage is starting to smell slightly like soiled bedsheets. So after reading this thread, I think I'll go back again with some dishwashing liquid (palmolive--tough on grease, but mild enough for your mule tape).

@ Jsaults--love that Steinbeck! Master wordsmith, as well as innovator ("Tell me about the mule tape, George...").

@ Papasmurf--I never thought to do anything to the mule tape other than leave it as-is white, but I like the idea of throwing in some dye and getting that nice silver sheen. Now I just need to figure out if I will have to come up with some ready-to-adapt tactics as suggested by heyyou (hmmm, scanning for potential problems: a five gallon bucket of tape, boiling water and die, and six children under the age of 12 running around--Nope! I think I'm good to go ).

Another thing I've learned... you can have mule tape; you can have a pool; and you can have a spouse, but if you try to combine the first two you should under no circumstances allow the third to discover it. I suffer, that others may live.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    Mule tape is intentionally slick. The lubricant on Mule Tape is water soluble so wash it out. Soak it in a bucket of water with TSP powder from the hardware store (trisodium phosphate is the active ingredient in detergent) or use a washing machine's prewash cycle once or twice, adding detergent each time, before using the regular cycle, maybe with a double rinse. Look for a ring of light oil in the machine after each wash. Wipe it out before your spouse sees it.

Mule tape is not for everyone but the price is often the best. Washing removed the printing too, so remember the size and strength numbers.
    Two questions:
    1) Why is it important to move the slickness from the mule tape if its used for tree hugging? Does slickness affect hugging?

2) Someone said "mule take isn't for everyone". Who wouldn't want to use it? I'm about to implement it for my huggers and want to know the downside.

Thanks guys.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Answer: As per this thread, it is the greasy lubricants that will transfer to everything. I don't want to buy a hammock that was hung just twice but packed along with the mule tape unless the tape was cleaned.

That said, I'd like to get some, as it would seem to be close to ideal on benefit-cost and physical properties. High tensile-strength polyester, flat instead of round, with no compromise in tensile strength for abrasion-resistance.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by abwillingham View Post
    Two questions:
    1) Why is it important to move the slickness from the mule tape if its used for tree hugging? Does slickness affect hugging?

2) Someone said "mule take isn't for everyone". Who wouldn't want to use it? I'm about to implement it for my huggers and want to know the downside.

Thanks guys.
    Most people use mule tape as a means of suspending the hammock. If it's slippery, descender rings might start to slip on you.

Slickness probably would not affect mule tape as huggers; however, some people consider it to be a bit on the thin side, and thus potentially damaging the trees/reputation of hangers. Another very practical reason not to use mule tape as a hugger is that the fibers catch onto the bark quite easily and it gets fuzzy, frays, and won't last nearly as long as a cheap Harbor Freight tie-down strap.

Still, mule tape is a cheap and reliable means to keep a hammock off the ground--absolutely love the stuff

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Answer: As per this thread, it is the greasy lubricants that will transfer to everything. I don't want to buy a hammock that was hung just twice but packed along with the mule tape unless the tape was cleaned.
    Good point. I also forgot to mention that the lubricant starts to smell a bit like my kid's bathroom--my boys are wonderful, but their aim is not. No one's gear should smell like that bathroom.

Now its all clear to me. Its for pulling cable and thus lubbed up.

http://www.neptco.com/website/neptco...1?OpenDocument

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I love the stuff and not embarrassed to admit it.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

That said, I'd like to get some, as it would seem to be close to ideal on benefit-cost and physical properties. High tensile-strength polyester, flat instead of round, with no compromise in tensile strength for abrasion-resistance.
    Pay shipping and I'll send you some... I can fit 100' in a small flat-rate box...

My brother pulls fiber for a living... they get lubricant in 5 gallon buckets . . . It does dry up, but smells like urine after a time... Later, during a nice overnight rain, the lubes will rehydrate. They don't call the stuff Gorilla Snot without a good reason!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    HH Ex Deluxe, WBBB 1.7 DL, ENO-DN
    Tarp
    HH Hex-mesh skins
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Pay shipping and I'll send you some... I can fit 100' in a small flat-rate box...
    I would love some...PM me your PayPal address & let me know how much shipping is...Thanks!
    ~Sonny~

it's only lubed IF it's been used ( to pull in wire)...and even then any wire pull that's for big wire the mule tape is only used for a measurment and to pull in a big rope that actually does the work...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast