DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Question Spectra Choice And Suspensions?

So I've used about 15' of webbing on each end of my hammock since the beginning and hadn't worried about it too much. After a trip with a buddy of mine with his HH I decided that it'd be nice to to have spectra coming off of one side to extend my range so I started searching on here last night and I was about to stab myself in the eyes when I found that someone uses 7/64 spectra with about a 1200 lb limit on it... does that sound about right to anybody? I've got some 2.8 mm with a 1200 limit so it would be great.
    I was also comparing my smc descending rings($2.50) to the hardware store 1" rings($.39)and on my lousy scale they came out the same, so beside the obvious load limit difference is there any reason not to use the smaller ones? Better way to put it would be does anyone use hardware store rings?
    I think that's about it, any imput is appreciated
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, I've got a set-up using some 1" rings from Home Depot. It isn't my primary set-up, but several nights have been put on them with no problems at all. Really can't tell the difference between them.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelanddime View Post
    So I've used about 15' of webbing on each end of my hammock since the beginning and hadn't worried about it too much. After a trip with a buddy of mine with his HH I decided that it'd be nice to to have spectra coming off of one side to extend my range so I started searching on here last night and I was about to stab myself in the eyes when I found that someone uses 7/64 spectra with about a 1200 lb limit on it... does that sound about right to anybody? I've got some 2.8 mm with a 1200 limit so it would be great.
    I was also comparing my smc descending rings($2.50) to the hardware store 1" rings($.39)and on my lousy scale they came out the same, so beside the obvious load limit difference is there any reason not to use the smaller ones? Better way to put it would be does anyone use hardware store rings?
    I think that's about it, any imput is appreciated
    I've used 2.8mm on my suspension for months.

The hardware store rings I can get are rated to 200 lbs, the SMC rings to, I dunno, 1400 maybe? From my perspective the safety margin I get using the SMC rings is well worth the couple of bucks difference in price.

my $0.05 worth.

Grizz

Images
    SMC rings are rated to and I quote "Strength is 16.6kN (3742 lb.)."....

So WAY more than hardware store rings, at least any I've seen. Are most hardware store rings going to fail at 200 lbs? Not likely... They're going handle probably at least 600lbs before failure... But the manufacturer won't stand behind them holding more than 200 lbs, so will you trust your health to them? For a couple dollars?
    So many projects, So little time....

Images
    Spectra line comes in a range of ratings even for the same nominal size depending on who's rope you buy, the type of spectra and the rope braid.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    It wasn't the price(useless info) of the rings in question, I've had them for a while now, it was really the size and general over kill... my pack and gear may be very light, but it has some bulk to it and I don't want to add any more... I asked if people were using the hardware rings to see if they thought them sufficient, if they didn't(which is the vibe I'm getting) then I'll machine some that I feel are more appropriate to their application.

as far as the spectra, I listed it's limit which was my concern, the diameter was more useless info...
    ... I'll be sure to limit my questions to pertinant info from now on, sorry

thanks Grizz for the input on the 2.8, I'm assuming its rated for 1200?
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelanddime View Post
    thanks Grizz for the input on the 2.8, I'm assuming its rated for 1200?
    Spyderline, yeah I think that's the rating.

Grizz

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As long as the ring is big enough to not curl the webbing, it should work. If the ring has a 1" internal diameter and you're using 1" webbing, the edges of the webbing are going to be curled...which changes how the force is distributed and can cause the webbing to fail. That's why I went with the SMC rings. It may take a while for failure, but like the others have said...in this case, it's not worth it IMO.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts