Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Strap/Tri Rings
    If it is even half as good as the sleeping bag I will be more than happy. My 20 degree hooded rectangular bag weighs 5 pounds. I would think this UQ would be around 2 pounds or less. I can live with that knowing I won't have to worry about it like you would a down quilt.

He is very opinionated for sure, but I don't have a problem with that.
    Last edited by MattH; 10-13-2010 at 19:11.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    ...and now Wiggy makes a flat, shaped UQ from his Lamilite insulation...which is pretty awesome.
    Just to clarify, I meant that his insulation is awesome for synthetics...not that his underquilt is awesome. I don't have any experience with the UQ, except that it isn't the design that was sent to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    as you seem to know much about the industry you may be able to answer my question: Is the Wiggy's insulation system "evolved" from the old Olam bags from 20 or 30 years ago? I used to sell them when I was in retailing.

Jim
    No idea...sorry I couldn't help!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Strap/Tri Rings
    He told me it fits all the popular hammocks. Guess we will know pretty soon I hope.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Was looking around for some down booties for winter sleeping in the hammock and found his.
    He seemed confident that his XL would fit my size 14 Wide Sasquatch feet.
    I'll let you know when I get them.
    DKPerdue

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Funny story, I have that prototype (Not going into details). It works pretty good, has gotten me down to 30. I was cold but not miserable. I think 35 is the lower limit for "Comfort" for ME.
    My prototype is pretty thin, as best I can measure its 1",,, maybe 1.25" but no more.

I never could get out of him why the "Designer" didn't like it, but I suspect it is the thinness of the insulation. Ive seen His work (before & after the Wiggy's experiment), & it's at least 50% thicker than what I have.

One modification I did was MUCH thicker bungee cords. With the supplied ones, it started out snug, but slowly would sag as the night progressed, so I progressively got colder. Wiggy's may have changed cords, but it's something to think about!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The design was much more intricate than what Wiggy produced...and Wiggy wasn't willing to produce the more effective design. That simple. The thickness of the insulation would have been customizable.

I had a prototype of the original design that was sent to Wiggy...it got me very comfortably down to 30F and could have gone lower. I haven't heard any temp estimates of Wiggy's design.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    There are some other threads here about Wiggys. One of the cottage quilt makers sent him a design, and in true Wiggys fashion, he thought that he knew better and sent back a prototype that looked nothing like the design. That deal fell thru, and now Wiggy makes a flat, shaped UQ from his Lamilite insulation...which is pretty awesome. He claims Lamillite can can compressed forever and not lose its loft, which is why they're sold vacuum-packed in aviator's survival kits to be stored that way until needed.

Dude's very confident of his products and not shy about telling you. Quality of his bags stand up to it in my experience, so the confidence seems to be well placed.
    He is a most unusual person, for sure. A couple of years ago, I was very interested in his products, despite the weight. Mainly based on customer raves. But while trying to research things, I ended up having a most bizarre interaction with him. One such as I have never had with any other manufacturer. So because of that bit of weirdness, I never ended up pulling the trigger on one of his products, probably because I was concerned how it would go if I ever had trouble or complaint with the product.

The one thing that I was researching and trying to figure out had to do with, at the time, a supposed silicone coating of the insulation. That, and the lamination to the shell, is what supposedly made the insulation so superior. But on the one hand he seemed to be telling me that he just got raw material- Polarguard at the time- and used that in his product. He claimed that he didn't treat or change the raw material in any way, other than maybe the lamination process. So my question was: how did it become silicon coated, if he didn't do it, which he said he didn't. But it was my understanding that PG, unlike Primaloft (which he trashes) is NOT silicone coated.

I never did get that question answered. And I still have that question about his current models, which I think are using Climashield, or at least I read that one time. But I'm not sure.

Images
    interesting BB58, he told me that hios insulation was the same as climashield.
    what's also interesting is that i remember reading a thread online that explained the lamalite has the properties it does (doesn't compress as much as other synthetics, but doesn't break down after repeated stuffings) because the fibers are solid, like the really old school synthetic insulation all used to be. that would make sense, but it's interesting he says it's the same as PG and climashield (both of which are different from eachother and neither of which is solid fiber but rather hollow filament) i honestly feel like he was just saying whatever he thought would convince me to buy the product.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...solid fibers would be expensive and very heavy!

Come to think of it, one manufacturer having any kind of insulation that is custom made, just for him, would be expensive.

Yes, mtbikernate, Wiggy's again!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    interesting BB58, he told me that hios insulation was the same as climashield.
    what's also interesting is that i remember reading a thread online that explained the lamalite has the properties it does (doesn't compress as much as other synthetics, but doesn't break down after repeated stuffings) because the fibers are solid, like the really old school synthetic insulation all used to be. that would make sense, but it's interesting he says it's the same as PG and climashield (both of which are different from eachother and neither of which is solid fiber but rather hollow filament) i honestly feel like he was just saying whatever he thought would convince me to buy the product.
    Or deliberate obfuscation. I'm a cynical old b******.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast