Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Have you guys noticed?

When it's a cold night all the guys wake up. Immediately, everyone starts asking, "Did you stay warm?". Then there is the moment of truth. Hushed faces and looks of trepidation. Who will admit it first. Then comes the moment of admitting a cold night or the PRIDE of sleeping warm. It's almost as if one takes the credit for a bag or piece of equipment doing it's job. "Yep- I did it- I stayed warm"
    Then there is the lonely victim who slept cold and stands in shame after spending so much money on gear. As if it is a shortcoming on his part. Maybe I stand alone on this one. But, it cracks me up. The world will be a better place when we all sleep warm.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Amen to that.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    "....Shivering, shaking, Brrrr. Got down to 60deg last night. I slept Warm!"

I hear you. I'll be the first to admit cold in the group.

-islander

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I've noticed it! But I'm such a cold sleeper it's easier for me to admit to being cold!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I guess it's like guys wearing pink... I have no issues admitting when I get cold, unless it's to a groundling....
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    yeah, it makes me chuckle too.

Its rare for me to be cold. Whilst all around are shivering and donning more clothes, I'm usually toasty. It goes some way to making up for them leaving me sweating and wheezy on the uphills, trying unsuccessfully to keep up.

One time in the winter, I was at Pecks Corner shelter in the Smokies one night. A boy scout troop comes rolling in. The kids start pulling out their bags. Well- one kid had a Superman sleeping bag. The temperature was going to be around 29 degrees that night. Well, at around 3:30 am, I awoke to the sound of chattering. You know the sound that those plastic wind up teeth make chattering away. He was in the bunk beneath me. The whole bunk system was shimmering and quacking. I asked if he was okay. "I'''mmmmm ooooookkkkkk ookkkkkkkaaaaayyyyyy". I couldn't take it anymore. I gave him my down vest. In the morning they were all gone faster than the sunrise and the last thing, I heard was - "Denny's". Man- I felt so sorry for that little guy. I hope next time he takes the WonderWoman bag instead. That is an extra 10 degrees right there.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

i think i'm going to have to add another layer to my bag. my legs got a little cold last nite. think i'll just put my woobie in there and see how it works. i'd hate to need a whole lot of insulation when it's only in the 60's or maybe 50's.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    turnerminator, I feel ya. I am the last one up the hill, out of breath,sweating, panting. But being a rather stout (read:large) man, I am always warm when I sleep. Thats why I love cold weather. Most people think i am nuts for it.

1st cav, you are the second one I have heard the term woobie from. I think it was from my buddy who was in the army(might have been 1st cav, Sgt Russ is his name, from mississippi). Is that the same as a poncho liner?

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I've said it before and I will say it again: It is a scientifically proven fact that Floridians can freeze to death at room temperature. And I am living proof I was cold last weekend in the low 60s. I may try it again this weekend, just to prove that I can beat the system! Saturday night is suposed to be in the low 50s! Maybe I shoudl break out my 25° bag as a top quilt!

And a water bottle, just to be sure.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast