Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

DIY netting: consistently failing sheet bends

Heya, I'm bussy knotting a hammock using the traditional fishnet method using a netting needle and a gauge stick but can't quite get the hang of it. I've found loads of instructions on everything I need to know except one thing.

Often when I pull the knot taught my sheet bend tightens incorrectly. Hard to explain so here's an illustration of what happens:

I somehow can't find any videos of someone actually knotting some net using a gauge stick, so I don't know the technique do pull it taught and have the knot settle correctly. Can anyone point me to a video, or give some detailed instructions on how to hold the work and how to tighten the knot correctly?

Thanx!

Images
    this guy explains the netting process very well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfB1XjhYPP0
    it's four parts long. hope it helps.

Images
    looks like you're tying it wrong, the knotted line should come up between the loop like you have, but it should go around both strands of the loop and back through the same hole.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CB8Q9QEwAQ

there's also the double sheetbend, but i suspect it's the other line that's slipping through perhaps? also line with some friction would hold better than something slick like dyneema

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Actually a sheet bend can be pulled into what's shown in the drawing. Happens if you slide the black rope down and off of the "U" in the grey rope before tightening it.

Sheet bend info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_bend
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Actually a sheet bend can be pulled into what's shown in the drawing. Happens if you slide the black rope down and off of the "U" in the grey rope before tightening it.
    I can understand that. I have a trick where I tie a slip knot (what is shown) an put the standing end through the loop and then pull the loop through making a bowline (FYI a bowline and sheet bend are the same knot)
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Images
    Quick replies as ever, awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    That's indeed what happens to me.
    I am capable of tying a proper sheet bend in the netting but it requires me to pull the standing end up and away from my gauge stick, fastening the knot slightly misplaced. Pulling down towards the gauge stick will make the knot spot on target but shaped wrong as shown in the image.

If I do not use a gauge stick and knot just like that 4-part video (Kudo's for that guy, watched it several times before) then there's no problem. So... is there a video out there just like that one but with a gauge stick?

The link newhanger provided is to one of the best made howto videos I've ever seen, though it's not specifically about hammocks, it is about the method your using.

I made an crabnet from his instructions, and I've experienced the same problem you are having.

All I can say is keep at it, there are subtle differences in the way you can pinch the knot in your fingers when drawing it up, as well as angles of pull.

Perhaps slow down a bit until you get a good feel for it, and try small variations in angles, and the way you hold everything.

BTW, the net cam out great. Except I need a better handle and proper metal fot the loop.

One of these days I'm going to give a go at weaving a hammock with some sort of homemade loom.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
    All I can say is keep at it, there are subtle differences in the way you can pinch the knot in your fingers when drawing it up, as well as angles of pull.

Perhaps slow down a bit until you get a good feel for it, and try small variations in angles, and the way you hold everything.
    Thanks, that's the hint I was looking for. I didn't know subtle changes made the difference. I will get at it tomorrow and start slow again as if it was the first time ever tying the knot.

Will let you know how it's going!

Oh one more thing: Does the exact shape of the gauge stick matter much, other than just comfort? Edges rounded, sharp, sloped, etc. The thickness of it... Or is all that matters the actual gauge of the stick ;)

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sheet bends scare me. I started making hammocks with a whipped end like this:
    http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

Check the second picture down... Has never failed me...

--Ok, I woke up and re-read the original post... I missed the NETTING part... duh...
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 10-14-2010 at 23:14. Reason: PEBKAC error
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Schop View Post
    Oh one more thing: Does the exact shape of the gauge stick matter much, other than just comfort? Edges rounded, sharp, sloped, etc. The thickness of it... Or is all that matters the actual gauge of the stick
    The ends, or at least one end ideally will be tapered for ease of insertion. I couldn't find one of those needles locally so I made one out of some 3/4 inch dowel rod, I cut a piece about a foot long and made some notches in the ends to receive the twine, and planed to flat sides to reduce size. Could have been better, but it worked.

Thickness/width, just needs to go through the meshes, give your self as much room as possible though. I saw a video somewhere showing someone carving a netting needle like the one in the crabnet video. Sorry I don't have a link, but maybe you can google it out. Some of that balsa wood from a hobby shop would probably be easily carved into a needle with a sharp knife.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast