DIY Hennessey A-sym
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing / Amsteel

Question about an effective underquilt for me

So I recently received a new single layer Hennessey style DIY hammock (thanks jbo_c!), and im needing an effective under quilt to keep me warm this coming winter. The thing is...I want an underquilt that can do it all. Here in the south (from LA north to TN) it doesn't get THAT cold. My desire is to find an UQ that can stay warm into the low 30s / high 20s. Considering that I hike, it seems down would be the best choice for weight and pack-ability; however, heres the rub. I dont want to spend a lot of money for down and I dont want to carry a large tarp. I have a Fair weather friend from BWDD that I like and I wanna try to make it work all 4 seasons. Considering that a UQ could get wet from the annoying sideways rain , a synthetic quilt that doesnt loose insulative ability when wet probably would be the smartest choice.

Ive been looking into the IX quilts by Mac and have been interested in them due to their light weight and compressibility. I would probably want a 3/4 length. However, no one has mentioned a temp range for them in the forums I have visited. I know that it probably would not be able to go down into the 20s, but I was thinking what if a refletix material was sandwiched between the insultex?

I know the Mac IX quilts are actually a three layer design..and I was looking at Paul's KAQs and saw that he can sew in a layer of insultex. Is that only one layer? or its it similar to the Mac's three layer wonder? Now if refletix was added to this do you think it could maintain comfort in these temps?

..and I know Mac's going to say this --> buying both would be nice, but I cant since im poor
    What would you do if you were me?

Thanks yall

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have several KAQ's and live in the area that you are talking about.......I have used the KAQ's New River UQ and TQ on/in my Clark down to the upper 20's several times only using a base layer and fleece jacket. This was in February of this year at the Mt Cheaha hang. A single layer of IX will be able to supplement the KAQ lower.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Get a summer quilt and supplement insulation in the winter/cold weather with a pad. It works great.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey A-sym
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing / Amsteel
    down to what temp do you think the orca IX can go? What are your IX owners' experiences?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DiezelDorf View Post
    I know the Mac IX quilts are actually a three layer design..and I was looking at Paul's KAQs and saw that he can sew in a layer of insultex. Is that only one layer? or its it similar to the Mac's three layer wonder? Now if refletix was added to this do you think it could maintain comfort in these temps?
    Bump for a good question. I wonder just what a side slice view coupled with closer pics of both would look like. My research has turned up very little direct info of what they are made of (sans a Google or link study). Info that would make sense to a newb who does not want to sew (oops, inject thread) or live in study of insulation types that is. I am looking at both KAQ and Mac's offerings in full length because I will not be backpacking with it and don't want to fiddle with down (wet etc).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DiezelDorf View Post
    down to what temp do you think the orca IX can go? What are your IX owners' experiences?
    There is little info available as of now. These things really only became available about the end of last winter, so not much cold weather testing has been done yet except by MacEntyre. He has consistently indicated ~ 32*F for 2 layers plus the small Insultube layer. I think there have also been some design changes and improvements over the last ~ year or less.

Seems like I remember some one else doing ~ freezing in 2 layers of IX and being OK, can't remember who it was. I think they were camping with Mac that night.

I think there are some others who have not yet been able to get much below 50, but they will have to chime in. As for me, my first attempts were cold in the 50s, 2 layers. Mac added Insultubes, and there was an improvement, but I still didn't have much confidence below 50, even wearing fleece. Then the cold temps were gone. Lately, I seem to be having much better luck. It is starting to look like I am going to be able to do at least mid 40s, which I still think is GREAT for 8 oz full length! ( Mine is raw IX, no shell of any kind). I have in fact done one night mid 40s in a mid weight wool long John top, no fleece. I think I was just barely OK, and wind was a factor about 0400. But hey, 8 oz full length! What do you want? But, I'm getting better with it. We will see.

It is a matter of fitting precisely which I had to figure out how to do- so that it was as loose as possible but still without any gaps around the edges. Plus, again remember there have been some changes sense mine, shells and such and maybe improvements on "dif cut"?

Then again, it's just a matter of enough layers and maintaining a very small gap under you, but still having the edges sealed. TeeDee made a 3 layer IX plus inner/outer nylon shell, with a solid dif cut, TQ and UQ. He was plenty warm at 11*F. This stuff has great potential.

BTW, I finally used mine this AM as originally designed, to augment my HHSS. I put it under the SS pad, with a space blanket still on top. It was not very cold at all, but my back quickly became uncomfortably warm.

• + New Posts