Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Listen to BillyBob! He has counseled me many times over the years on my SuperShelter technique which still needs improvement.

I used it most recently on a trip where temperatures went no lower than the low 50's and I was super comfortable. I've had a bit more trouble getting into the 30's but I've done it. As BillyBob mentions, others have added components and brought the augmented system down to unimaginable temperatures. It can be done.

That said, I'm trying to move exclusively to quilts. I get a fair degree of condensation in my SuperShelter which really isn't a problem, but I find the quilts to be more comfortable.

FreeTheWeasel
    Hey there, FTW! I actually remember those SS discussions with you way back in the day. I think I was actually a SS noob myself not long before that and still learning what the SS tricks might be. Though really "tricks/augmentation" isn't needed until I start trying to go well below freezing.

Glad to hear you have been able to make it work for you and that you still sometimes use it. I'm like you, I have not used it much the last couple of years, because being a gear freak I have all of these other neat toys that work so well. Plus, the other big drawback someone else has mentioned: the SS is HH specific. Even certain HH model specific. And I have all of these non-HH hammocks, so........

Still, sometimes I still like to use my HH and find it pretty comfy. And sometimes I still think that if it is not going to be all that cold, say low 40s and above, but is going to be really windy and wet, I might still prefer to use the old SS. Plus, IX has become a new variable, either to augment or replace the HH pad. This needs some testing!

But, truthfully, especially if it is going to be way below freezing, I tend to just use my JRB MW4- and most especially with the BMBH. How efficient and easy that combo is! And of course, with my no net gathered end hammocks, the always works Pea Pod! Really hard to beat that one if you are serious about staying warm. And multi layers of Climashield in a torso length WB? Man oh man, good product, especially if it is going to be super wet.

But, still, the old SS has been fairly good for me, especially considering what you get for the money: pretty good insulation, easily augmented, and built in wind/rain/blowing snow protection.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

super shelter vs underquilt

3 nights this past week I slept in my WBBB with 3 season Yeti. My son slept in his HHULBP last night with the SS. I set it up for him. All the reasons came back to me why I really love my underquilt.
    I do agree with Billy Bob the SS has worked and held me nice and warm down into the teens with layered clothing. But for simplicity, speed, space savings,less of agrivating state I would look at the underquilts. I believe Jacks are Better carries one that is made just for the HH. I am thinking that could be nice Christmas present for the Lone Hanger in my house. I would like to get the side zipper mod and change over to webbing for him also.

My 2 cents worth,
    BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey there, FTW! I actually remember those SS discussions with you way back in the day. I think I was actually a SS noob myself not long before that and still learning what the SS tricks might be. Though really "tricks/augmentation" isn't needed until I start trying to go well below freezing.
    Something that you pointed out to me and I have yet to try (stubborn, I guess) is that the space blanket is critical for low temperature performance. One of these days I'll give it a shot, but like you, I'm reaching more and more for the quilts, especially as I've started to crank them out again.

Still, only two weeks ago, that super shelter kept me cozy and comfortable. It is an attractive package for the price so long as you appreciate its limitations and advantages. Oh, I should also mention that I have had very good customer service from Hennessy. I ripped my first supershelter pad and they sent me a new one for free. I even offered to pay for it, and they still sent it to me for free.

FreeTheWeasel
    Last edited by FreeTheWeasel; 10-17-2010 at 14:35. Reason: Added customer service note.

Hammock
    Nano7, HB No-See-Um-No-More
    Tarp
    sil WB Edge
    Insulation
    3 Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/huggers
    Based on my limited understanding, I thought the SS prevented water from splashing up/wind-driven rain from getting the hammocker wet when using a minimal tarp like the HH stock one. Am I wrong about this? Though I am now using a UQ, it does seem that in a really bad storm with a small tarp (like my MLD UL hammock tarp) it could still get wet and have its performance adversely effected. Am I misunderstanding what the SS is?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Something that you pointed out to me and I have yet to try (stubborn, I guess) is that the space blanket is critical for low temperature performance. One of these days I'll give it a shot, but like you, I'm reaching more and more for the quilts, especially as I've started to crank them out again.

Still, only two weeks ago, that super shelter kept me cozy and comfortable. It is an attractive package for the price so long as you appreciate its limitations and advantages. Oh, I should also mention that I have had very good customer service from Hennessy. I ripped my first supershelter pad and they sent me a new one for free. I even offered to pay for it, and they still sent it to me for free.

FreeTheWeasel
    That is good cust. service alright.

But seems to me any SS success you have had is a miracle! No space blanket? How have you kept from swimming in condensation? Well, I have used it once or twice without the SB early on, and I have also used just the UC (no pad) and no SB. But I must have just got lucky the couple of times with a pad/UC but no UC. On a 50 degree night in the super humid WA's Olympics ( like where you live), I left off the SB. Didn't think I needed it. I was toasty warm. But when I got up and out, I realized the foot of my pad and sleeping bag were soaked. I thought I was done for if it got cold. But the pad dried super quick, and so did the Polarguard bag. I used the SB rest of the trip and was bone dry, as usual for me.

Plus, I bet that SB ( favorite EMS Heat Sheet) would add 15*F to your warmth, 10 minimum.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatland View Post
    Based on my limited understanding, I thought the SS prevented water from splashing up/wind-driven rain from getting the hammocker wet when using a minimal tarp like the HH stock one. Am I wrong about this?
    Nope, you are not wrong at all, IMO. It is a huge help, also at reducing wind chill dry or wet. You can have a very warm down or synthetic UQ, but wind will suck the warmth right out of them if you don't have your tarp set up correctly to block wind.

Though I am now using a UQ, it does seem that in a really bad storm with a small tarp (like my MLD UL hammock tarp) it could still get wet and have its performance adversely effected. Am I misunderstanding what the SS is?
    I think you understand it. You can for sure get your UQ wet from sideways wind driven rain or splashup with a tiny tarp, or even a big tarp set up poorly. And of course, where you set up ( exposed vs sheltered ) can make a big dif with any tarp.

A SS UC, or some other "weather shield" or sock (JRB, 2Qs for ex) can, IMO, greatly improve your odds of staying warm and dry in very windy conditions, most especially if using a smaller tarp.

And in the case of the SS, even with the stock tarp (but at least if attached to the prussicks anyway), you are pretty much completely covered with sil-nylon. The UC comes up high enough at the sides that it is almost in contact with the tarp, unless you have a really wide open wide tarp pitch.

I recently used my HH stock tarp tied to the trees. It was a nice tight pitch, hard to achieve when attached to the prussicks on the HH. But even though I tied the tarp lower than the hammock straps, I was reminded of how poor the coverage is with that tarp unless you attache to the hammock prussicks. Any side ways wind driven rain would have soaked me. I need to be close to the tarp ridge line for adequate coverage. I did not have the SS UC so I was also reminded of the poor coverage when it got real windy about 0400! That def cooled things off a bit!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-17-2010 at 15:36.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Although I agree wholeheartedly with BB about the SS, i have left it for a JRB BMBH with Mt Washington 3 under quilt and Hudson River top quilt. I find it easier, quicker and more comfortable. IMHO.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    Although I agree wholeheartedly with BB about the SS, i have left it for a JRB BMBH with Mt Washington 3 under quilt and Hudson River top quilt. I find it easier, quicker and more comfortable. IMHO.
    Hey, I can't fault you on that one, now can I? Considering one of my all time favs is a BMBH with a MW4. That is a great combo, almost like one is custom made for the other!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Are you basing that on personal experience?
    Hey BillyBob, sorry I think I should have backed up my statement with some evidence. My wife and I both owned the "under" part of the super shelter system, that is the foam pad and the undercover. We also both had some space blankets that we used with the system, and as far as I could tell (and that my wife would echo), was that it didn't help and that it may have only accelerated the accumulation of breath condensation in the foam. We tried the system on a trip to the Smokies where it was kind of cold and then a trip to Sipsey where it was freezer cold, and on each trip we liked the system less and less.

For my wife, the fact that we had bought an insulation system that didn't do much other than look complicated and somewhat puffy was infuriating to her, and she let me know during the cold night and the next morning, when it was suddenly time to go home early. For me I wanted to make it work because I had just bought two of these things and thought that I was missing a crucial step or series of steps. Nope. I was homebound.

We weren't using these things in 40-50 temps, so this might negatively flavor my opinion of the supershelter. We were in the 30s-high30s when we used this system.

The first picture on the supershelter page on Hennessy's site is of a hammock dangling in a snowdrift. This is unrealistic and is a misleading advertising picture.

That said, I'm no longer trying to make the supershelter work for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowlhaircut View Post
    Hey BillyBob, sorry I think I should have backed up my statement with some evidence. My wife and I both owned the "under" part of the super shelter system, that is the foam pad and the undercover. We also both had some space blankets that we used with the system, and as far as I could tell (and that my wife would echo), was that it didn't help and that it may have only accelerated the accumulation of breath condensation in the foam. We tried the system on a trip to the Smokies where it was kind of cold and then a trip to Sipsey where it was freezer cold, and on each trip we liked the system less and less.

For my wife, the fact that we had bought an insulation system that didn't do much other than look complicated and somewhat puffy was infuriating to her, and she let me know during the cold night and the next morning, when it was suddenly time to go home early. For me I wanted to make it work because I had just bought two of these things and thought that I was missing a crucial step or series of steps. Nope. I was homebound.

We weren't using these things in 40-50 temps, so this might negatively flavor my opinion of the supershelter. We were in the 30s-high30s when we used this system.

The first picture on the supershelter page on Hennessy's site is of a hammock dangling in a snowdrift. This is unrealistic and is a misleading advertising picture.

That said, I'm no longer trying to make the supershelter work for me.
    I figured you were basing it on personal experience, but just wanted to be sure. You definitely now belong to the group that has no use for the SS based on a bad experience.

The mystery remains: condensation IN the pad despite the space blanket(maybe even worse due to SB!). I have never had a drop of condensation under the SB, and at worst a drop or 3 on top of the SB, but mostly NONE. And I have slept from the teens ( while adding down vests and such below the pad) through the 40s-50s.

But you are not the only one who has had such an experience, so that's the way it is. But the "why" one user and not the other remains a mystery. You would think this would happen to every body.

BTW, SS users and SS hopefuls, something I have only recently realized: just like with most other UQs (Yeti, IX UQs etc) it is important to have the SS pad positioned correctly length wise and not too far towards the head. If to near the head, there will be some gaps develop. With the top edge down closer to the shoulders, it forms a nice tight fit around my shoulders.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast