Hammock
    hh explorer asym zip 7ft
    Tarp
    hh
    Insulation
    my dog
    Suspension
    hh at this point
    looking at the quilt, how would i get in the hammock that is an asym zip? it would seem that the quilt is sinched all the way to the top of the hammock from the pic posted.....asking questions is how i talk myself into buying things>>lolol.. and do you have a pic showing the quilt stuffed in it's pack, with dimensions?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just push it aside and climb in. Once you're in, the quilt will pop back in place. May require some minimal adjustments from inside, but they will be very minor.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    hh explorer asym zip 7ft
    Tarp
    hh
    Insulation
    my dog
    Suspension
    hh at this point
    cool...so basically, i could buy this vs the hennesyy sleep system, and be better off all the way around for just a little more money?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, basically. The Super Shelter has been proven to be very effective by several members here. But, as I understand the reports, they are a bit tricky to get really dialed-in. Underquilts are generally much easier to use and I feel they are more comfortable. But as always, HYOH.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SNIPERFX View Post
    cool...so basically, i could buy this vs the hennesyy sleep system, and be better off all the way around for just a little more money?
    Probably.

The difference? The quilt is just that--a down or batting filled quilt that hangs underneath your hammock to provide insulation. Paul's UQ's are synthetic, which has advantages and disadvantages compared to down. If you are in the Ozarks, which is a wet and humid climate you may realize the synthetic's advantages.

The Supershelter is an open-cell foam pad that hangs underneath the hammock, along with a silnylon undercover on the exterior. You will need a space blanket between the hammock and the OCF pad to make it work at its best. This is a bit more complicated than the UQ, but it does work.

You will need insulation on top with either system. Lots of options here including blankets, sleeping bags, or the top quilt.

I'm glad I got the SS to satisfy my curiosity, but now that I have a UQ the SS can't hold a candle.
    Last edited by Trooper; 10-15-2010 at 20:18.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I'm glad I got the SS to satisfy my curiosity, but now that I have a UQ the SS can't hold a candle.
    Sounds like the answer right there. Paul makes some really nice stuff too. Cant go wrong! Plus I'm not sure where the SS are made. But I'm pretty sure it's not in Boise
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    hh explorer asym zip 7ft
    Tarp
    hh
    Insulation
    my dog
    Suspension
    hh at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    Sounds like the answer right there. Paul makes some really nice stuff too. Cant go wrong! Plus I'm not sure where the SS are made. But I'm pretty sure it's not in Boise
    haha! i would probably lay money on that one!!!!

Hammock
    hh explorer asym zip 7ft
    Tarp
    hh
    Insulation
    my dog
    Suspension
    hh at this point
    Probably.

The difference? The quilt is just that--a down or batting filled quilt that hangs underneath your hammock to provide insulation. Paul's UQ's are synthetic, which has advantages and disadvantages compared to down. If you are in the Ozarks, which is a wet and humid climate you may realize the synthetic's advantages.

The Supershelter is an open-cell foam pad that hangs underneath the hammock, along with a silnylon undercover on the exterior. You will need a space blanket between the hammock and the OCF pad to make it work at its best. This is a bit more complicated than the UQ, but it does work.

You will need insulation on top with either system. Lots of options here including blankets, sleeping bags, or the top quilt.

so with pauls system hanging all the way to the top of the hammock, that does not make it a top quilt? god i hate being a noob....lolol

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SNIPERFX View Post
    so with pauls system hanging all the way to the top of the hammock, that does not make it a top quilt? god i hate being a noob....lolol
    Nope, it is an underquilt because it insulates underneath you, regardless of how it attaches to a hammock. The top quilt is the a quilt you lay on top of your body inside the hammock, just as you would use a blanket or comforter in a bed.

To continue that analogy, a fitted sheet on your bed is the hammock. It provides almost no insulation, but with your 10,000 thread count it is comfortable. The mattress provides comfort from the hard ground, but since you probably have a bed frame, it also provides insulation from heat being lost to the cold under your bed. So, you don't need an underquilt in your bed because the mattress retains your body heat.

Of course, you don't sleep without a sheet or comforter in you bed when its cold. So, the top quilt is the equivalent here. My quilt from Adam, also known as Stormcrow at Hammockgear.com, is a rectangular quilt with drawstrings and snap buttons. So, I can lay it flat and use it at home or on the couch, or pull the drawstring and snap the buttons to make something that looks like the top half of a sleeping bag. You don't need the bottom of the sleeping bag because you have an underquilt.

Adam has some pictures on his website of a top quilt:

Stormcrow's Burrow

A blanket, down throw, or sleeping bag all work because what you need is insulation on top. Many of us have found the quilt is the best option of us. You're doing the right thing by asking many questions, because these things are expensive and you don't want to spend money on something when you really needed something else.

Also, the objective is to use the hammock comfortably, and an underquilt is only one method. Others, like Sgt. Rock, use just pads because they are extremely cheap, effective, durable, and light. An UQ is more luxurious and comfortable to me, but also far more expensive. You can eat with your fingers, use chopsticks, or use a fork--they all work to various degrees!

There are several manufacturers of UQ's and TQ's that are members here at HF. I hate to list them because I'll surely forget a few and that wouldn't be fair, but six immediately come to mind.

Hammock
    hh explorer asym zip 7ft
    Tarp
    hh
    Insulation
    my dog
    Suspension
    hh at this point
    Nope, it is an underquilt because it insulates underneath you, regardless of how it attaches to a hammock. The top quilt is the a quilt you lay on top of your body inside the hammock, just as you would use a blanket or comforter in a bed.

To continue that analogy, a fitted sheet on your bed is the hammock. It provides almost no insulation, but with your 10,000 thread count it is comfortable. The mattress provides comfort from the hard ground, but since you probably have a bed frame, it also provides insulation from heat being lost to the cold under your bed. So, you don't need an underquilt in your bed because the mattress retains your body heat.

Of course, you don't sleep without a sheet or comforter in you bed when its cold. So, the top quilt is the equivalent here. My quilt from Adam, also known as Stormcrow at Hammockgear.com, is a rectangular quilt with drawstrings and snap buttons. So, I can lay it flat and use it at home or on the couch, or pull the drawstring and snap the buttons to make something that looks like the top half of a sleeping bag. You don't need the bottom of the sleeping bag because you have an underquilt.

Adam has some pictures on his website of a top quilt:

Stormcrow's Burrow

A blanket, down throw, or sleeping bag all work because what you need is insulation on top. Many of us have found the quilt is the best option of us. You're doing the right thing by asking many questions, because these things are expensive and you don't want to spend money on something when you really needed something else.

Also, the objective is to use the hammock comfortably, and an underquilt is only one method. Others, like Sgt. Rock, use just pads because they are extremely cheap, effective, durable, and light. An UQ is more luxurious and comfortable to me, but also far more expensive. You can eat with your fingers, use chopsticks, or use a fork--they all work to various degrees!

There are several manufacturers of UQ's and TQ's that are members here at HF. I hate to list them because I'll surely forget a few and that wouldn't be fair, but six immediately come to mind.
    NOW I GOT IT! thanks trooper and all the rest...i believe paul will be hearing from me pretty quick....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12