Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Nicknames- what's the story?

I see alot of trailnames and nicknames. Anyone got a good story with their nicknames?
    I will tell the earplug story if others will chime in! lol
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Mine came with a huge change in my life.

I went through a really difficult time; friends died, people lied and cheated, so much bad stuff happened to me due to people taking advantage of my kindness.

I wrote this poem when things were really at their worst (I was dating this really hot beatnik chick - so cut me some slack!), and some of the very last lines were "forever searching for the keeper of hope, with the wolf's heart of fire, and lonely raven's eyes"

I won some stupid poetry contest with the very gothic poem, and was forced to read it in front of a bunch of people...someone came up to me afterwards and say "you have those eyes". I'm like, what does *that* mean? She clarified that I had the intelligent, but haunted look like you see in a very smart birds eyes (like a Raven's). Eyes that see everything because they can't help it.

I took that name that day, and gave up my previous "trail name" of Fever. <---and that name is a whole nother story that's no appropriate for these forums.

Sorry if it seems like I'm kicking off this thread with a downer. It's not really a downer, it's a story of strength and honor (a gift a man gives to himself).

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    George Donner is on my family tree. We just dropped one of the "n"s from our family name as a result of the bad PR from that trek west so many years ago.

The Donner Party

One of my personal adventure goals includes recreating the trip using gear from the period. Hopefully with better results. Thinking maybe 6 or 7 years from now, but I've got to build a stagecoach first and get some Oxen cause I don't think my mini donkeys can pull a stagecoach up and over two mountain ranges.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Cannibal, how about a mini-stagecoach?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top &amp; U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I ate 5 pounds of grilled chicken wings in one sitting because no one else in my family wanted any. they ate some of the shrimp and grits. I also ate the leftover shrimp and grits.

Mmmmmmmm....
    chicken wings, shrimp and grits

I am sitting here just thinking about it.

I sure do some good grilled chickenwings
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Cannibal, how about a mini-stagecoach?
    How am I supposed to hang two hammocks in a mini-stagecoach?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    I ate 5 pounds of grilled chicken wings in one sitting because no one else in my family wanted any. they ate some of the shrimp and grits. I also ate the leftover shrimp and grits.

Mmmmmmmm....
    chicken wings, shrimp and grits

I am sitting here just thinking about it.

I sure do some good grilled chickenwings
    Your killing me here!!!! I am now mighty peckish and hungry!
    I got mine at a bluegrass fest. We were pickin' and singin' "Cry Holy To The Lord" in a thunderstorm and I was moved and belting it out.
    We finished the song .... everyone was on their parts. Most of us did not know one another. Just an impromtu jam. A man looked at me and said that I sang that song like sugar. I in turn hollered out as a joke "Ya'll call me Shug"!!!!
    It stuck.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    in college I had a very full reddish beard, and a bit more hair on my head than I carry now (going lightweight all kinds of ways...)

I started dating the now Mrs. Grizz, and her mother thought I looked like the TV actor on the Grizzly Adams program. For a gift gave me a trash can emblazened with a picture of the actor and the title "Grizzly Adams".

I started using that handle as a DJ on the college radio station, and after Al Gore invented the internet I used it when a handle is needed in arenas like HF.

Never acquired a proper trail name though. If my hiking buddy "Curly" (who came to MAHHA one year) were to give me one, it would likely be "Stakes" owing to a story where we set up camp in the dark one night having gone late having to find water. Couldn't find the stakes to pitch the tent, used sticks instead. I was dealing with a rock under my all that night, a rock which in the light of day turned out to be the sacke of tent stakes.
    He never misses an opportunity to tell that story. Of course, I gave him the name "Curly" owing to his bald dome.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    I was on the PCT with a group. I mentioned that I was a big fan of all 4 books in the HitchHikers Guide the Galaxy Trilogy. A babelfish was a small fish that translated all languages. Babelfish5 was the name I was given on trail. It's stuck. I would rather be given a name than make one up myself.
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    I was bitten by insects over 100 times on our hike from Harpers Ferry to Gathland a few years ago. My friend, Paul, AKA OH-NO, dubbed me Bug-Bait and it stuck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast