Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I don't have a bunch of space to cut 11' either. Take it in short sections, use of a square for the corners helps also. When your finished with the first layer just lay the second layer under it. Pin the edges so it doesn't move and use that to make them even. Or you could do what Fronkey does in his DIY with Fronkey video on making a tarp. The measuring out concept he uses is solid.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    UKMCPRO 3x3 DPM
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Sorry but there is so much to this thread and the others about this type of hammock and now im completely confuddled.
    I have made a 11' hammock.
    It has a ridgeline of 106" but is adjustable by about 5" each way.
    what size triangle do i need to make the footbox???
    I cant wrap my head around the engineering maths..........lol

Thanks
    Its a fine line between a cuddle........
    and holding her down so she cant get away.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I would hang the hammock first to find out the appropriate rl length for your lay. Next I would try to find out where the lower corner of your footbox should be. Normally this should be the position where your toes lay in the hammock. Then I would deside about the fb format. Make the angle of the lower corner arround 104°-110° - no right triangle with a 90° angle. Make your rl first approx 1,5" longer, when you fit your footbox in. Try to pin it on only. Then go back to your normal RL length and make a test hang. There should not to much tension on our fb. When you found the proper fb-format then try the same with your shelf. Then start to think how to make this reinforcement patch. It normally overlaps the fb triangle and the shelf triangle. I found the best pictures how it should go on the website of Derek Hansen, here.

I think this thread is a bit obsolete. This one is newer. And there are plans for a 11' Hammock. Look at the 9' plans. This are the plans for a 108" RL-Hammock. Please note that your fb-design has no impact on the form of your bug net. Only the tie-outs of the shelf influence the form of your bug net. Doesn't matter how you consider it. With the fb you get an hammock with an asym-lay, but the bug-net should be symmetric.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    UKMCPRO 3x3 DPM
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Thanks mate
    Its a fine line between a cuddle........
    and holding her down so she cant get away.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Hey all,

I'm not new to DIY or trying to make a footbox style hammock. I have attempted to make this hammock, but I have the worst calf ridge ever. It's like the footbox is too big, making my feet drop down into the footbox and creating a hard shelf that is very uncomfortable. Has anyone else experienced this when making this hammock per the specs provided? I went with the 8' style and followed the dimensions to the letter. I've almost scrapped the project several times now, but I put alot of effort into it so far, so I'm willing to give it another chance. I'm contemplating ripping the seam and cutting the footbox triangle smaller to hopefully take up some of the slack. So far, all I have done is cut the footbox (side) and main hammock body and sewn them together. Before sewing in the zipper and bug netting, I gave it a try by wipping the ends and making a ridgeline about 88-90" long (which felt the best, but still had horrible calf pressure). Did anyone else have this issue? I was thinking that maybe finishing the hammock would somehow fix itself, but I've had a helper pull and tug on the foot box simulating being guyed out or pulling up slightly like the bug net may do, but nothing seems to fix the issue. I just think it's got too much fabric or something in that area. What are your thoughts?
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

Hammock
    DIY Black Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    I don't work in inches so I have no idea how long your rl is... But, I had to fiddle with the length of mine a fair bit to find that spot without a calf Ridge. Adjust your rl and see if you can find a sweet spot

For the rest of us in a distant future digging up old plans, the article he linked here is backed up on the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160319...k-pattern.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223