Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    From comments most set up the hammock including RL at its desired distance and then just pin it to match up as your RL length and several other factors affect it heavily. That said you could have multiple netting cut patterns for 1 bottom due to RL and the angle of lay that was desired.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    From comments most set up the hammock including RL at its desired distance and then just pin it to match up as your RL length and several other factors affect it heavily. That said you could have multiple netting cut patterns for 1 bottom due to RL and the angle of lay that was desired.
    Anyone with experience want to chime in to let me know if I'm off track here?

I had been thinking that I would set it up, tie out the sides, pin the tulle/netting in place, take it inside and sew. Now I'm wondering if me NOT being in the hammock when I fit the mosquito netting will cause the netting to only fit right when the hammock is empty.
    Do I need to be IN the hammock when fitting the netting?

If so, I guess this is what I'll do:
    1) set it up,
    2) get in,
    3) pull the netting over top, and pin the zipper side from inside.
    4) Get out,
    5) sew the pinned side,
    6) Get back in,
    7) pin the other side,
    8) Get out,
    9) sew the pinned side.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Since the netting will stretch when you sew, that's not a bad plan... I'd do your Zipper side first, and use lots of pins to keep the stretching to a minimum. Then Zip it to the hammock, get in, pin, get out and sew...

I've had all kinds of problems with sewing stretchy things to non-stretchy things... haven't figured it out yet...

Maybe I need to invent a paper-like strip with adhesive that would prevent the stretchy stuff from stretching... then have it dissolve completely in water, or something like that... You could stick it to the hem-line, sew through it and then wash the item to make it go away!

Any tips for sewing stretchy things?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    To sew strech fabric on non strech you have to adjust the tension on the presser foot, the more pressure, the mire it will strech, or you could use a walking foot atachement which will even things out!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback
    Do you sew the netting directly to the hammock, or edge the netting first?

Was thinking about using my binding foot to bind the netting edge w/ grosgrain first so it won't stretch while attaching to hammock. The untested theory here is that the netting will stretch less in the binding foot than under the sewing foot.
    Good idea/bad idea/waste of time?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    I hit a dozen and called a couple WMs. I found 9 yards of tan breathable calendared ripstop at the 14th WalMart. Sasquatch! Call ahead and ask if they have a fabric department. Most do not, and have phased it out recently. Those that do, if not picked over, will have a discount rack. You may see the Yeti. Then again, you may not.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kc7fys View Post
    I hit a dozen and called a couple WMs.
    Great info, but did you mean put it on this thread?
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=24329

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Thanks for the feedback
    Do you sew the netting directly to the hammock, or edge the netting first?

Was thinking about using my binding foot to bind the netting edge w/ grosgrain first so it won't stretch while attaching to hammock. The untested theory here is that the netting will stretch less in the binding foot than under the sewing foot.
    Good idea/bad idea/waste of time?
    personally, if I'm not working with a pattern I sew directly to the hammock then trim from the inside
    if I have a pattern, it might depend on the type of seam I'll do, probably just pin, sew fold over and make a top seam

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    To sew strech fabric on non strech you have to adjust the tension on the presser foot, the more pressure, the mire it will strech, or you could use a walking foot atachement which will even things out!!!

hmmm... my cheapo machine doesn't have an adjustment for foot pressure that I could find... what should I expect for $35 at Craig's List?

That said, it's made all my hammocks and related gear (except my KAQ)...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Spears
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Woopie Toggle
    Well ok so here is an epic fail for everyone to enjoy.

Let me paint the picture of this project. I read the forums and had been looking for something to mess with so when I saw Mule's clone I headed into my fabric pile to see what I had laying around and so this was a totally unplanned project. I actually have loved this and have learn a great deal. My hope is to finish this one and then build one with the right stuff. Now back to the fail.

Like nasa i have been going over the details of this screwup and i think i have figure most of it out. First the adage that you should measure twice and cut once might be appropriate here. When measuring the triangle for the foot box i determined that it was 40" across the top and not 45" as the plans state but it is still a bit of a mystery to me because the actual measurement across the top of the side with the foot box in it was 9" short. I found the 5 inches in the triangle but i am not sure about the other 4". Still sorting it out. I will say and i said it on the video the hammock even screwed up felt very comfortable. I hope i can make the corrections and get to working on the bug net. I want to thank Mule for the phone call on the gathering technique worked great. I hope to post the fixed hammock soon. By the way ripping out 110" of double stitched seams takes a long time. ha ha

Mark
    Last edited by Tonka; 11-16-2010 at 15:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast