Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 8X10
    Insulation
    under consideratio
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Won't a bigger triangle make that side even shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Adfeds, only thing I can tell you is to add to the triangle, or make a bigger triangle.
    What you described is a common problem.
    Thanks for the reply. You got me thinking (finally), so I went and did some measurements. My finished full length after the rollover for the whipping is only 113". Recently bought a hemmer foot, so this should be better on my next build. Anyway, my footbox side is shorter than the 113" side by 24". I'm sure that's why the thing is so tight. **** me for getting the footbox dimensions close to correct and hemming in "half a yard of fabric :-p" on the rest!

So, what's your take on pulling the footbox off and making a smaller footbox to compensate for my already short hammock?

Pulling a lot of seams seems slightly sickening 'specially since Saturdays are for basketball right now. But, really... will I damage the fabric or will pulling the seams be fine if I'm careful?

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 8X10
    Insulation
    under consideratio
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just really want to ask about the pattern again. Is the last picture, the way it should attach? Really wish I had a WBBB around here so I could take a peak at it. Can't seem to get a good image of the side online.

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    Mine did the same thing Adfeds, I took the foot box off, connector piece, and cut 5" off the triangle on the corner that meets with the shelf, making it a right triangle. I have a 95" ridgline which helps with the tension.

Before And After.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 8X10
    Insulation
    under consideratio
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BodhiKnight View Post
    Mine did the same thing Adfeds, I took the foot box off, connector piece, and cut 5" off the triangle on the corner that meets with the shelf, making it a right triangle. I have a 95" ridgline which helps with the tension.

Before And After.
    Thanks, that's about what I had in mind. I need to make the shelf side a bit longer and I planned on nipping a bit from each angle. But, ....

Again, thinking...perhaps not too well, I went out and test hung without the ridgeline just to hang it. Checking for rips and whatnot.

If I had a remembered the ridgeline could have potentially adjusted the tension to a proper amount! I read the forum and thought I remembered all the tips and hanging setups. There is a tremendous amount of entertaining infor to be take in here.. A credit to you all, but I was a kid, albeit an old one, sailing too high. Probaby should have started with an easy one (The Warbonnet seams to have a lot pieces)...Anyway, **** kids......I already pulled off the footbox... should be shortened anyway, but I have no idea now if the thing would have hung better today. Live and learn.

Not demoralized, but spent way too much time a month ago researching and too little time reviewing before the build. That's the lesson. Or....um, have a better memory... I forget
    Last edited by adfeds; 03-27-2011 at 04:54.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by BodhiKnight View Post

Before And After.
    Interesting - I think my ridgline is sitting at 103", but may explore with that short

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    I shortened my ridgeline as well to just under 100". It made all the difference in The amount of tension on the shelf side and didn't affect comfort. I used 7/64th for The ridgeline as I did not want any stretch which would add tension to the hammock and the bugnet.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Sorry TZ
    I can't visualize what you described on the asym cut and need for a support line in one side.
    I don't draw well, since I lost the better software, but here is an attempt at a drawing to clarify my thought.

The previously noted support line might not be needed but I sure don't want it to come apart mid trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TZBrown; 03-27-2011 at 13:39.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    my SR is around 87'' and my overall length is 108''. I found that shortening the ridgeline took the stress off the short side.

rjcree. to cut weight you could get rid of the side pullouts, gravity will work on the shelf.
    also get rid of the grosgrain and go with homemade rip stop ribbon. I took strips of
    rip stop 2'' wide and made something like bias tape with out the bias. Saves the weight
    of grosgrain. Also if you use dutch clips take that out and just use fixed loops, toggle
    size 2'', cut 2' off of 6' tree huggers, lose the stuff sack and go with no-see-um snake
    skins, no zipper go with bottom entry with no velcro, better yet get rid of bug net and
    use top quilt and head net for bugs.

Just a few ideas to try and cut weight. Take from it what you will.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    my SR is around 87'' and my overall length is 108''. I found that shortening the ridgeline took the stress off the short side.

rjcree. to cut weight you could get rid of the side pullouts, gravity will work on the shelf.
    also get rid of the grosgrain and go with homemade rip stop ribbon. I took strips of
    rip stop 2'' wide and made something like bias tape with out the bias. Saves the weight
    of grosgrain. Also if you use dutch clips take that out and just use fixed loops, toggle
    size 2'', cut 2' off of 6' tree huggers, lose the stuff sack and go with no-see-um snake
    skins, no zipper go with bottom entry with no velcro, better yet get rid of bug net and
    use top quilt and head net for bugs.

Just a few ideas to try and cut weight. Take from it what you will.
    Great ideas. Thanks!
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    So I finally finished the hammock, trim and all. Thanks for help.

Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast